Weezer new self-titled album for 2016 (the White album)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turnaround, Jan 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member Thread Starter

Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
    Hep Alien, Yorick, Aurora and 3 others like this.
  2. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

3 shows in Europe? :realmad:

3. edbert

edbert Forum Resident

It'll be a Weezer vs Cheap Trick new album deathmatch on April 1

Fullbug likes this.
  4. readr

readr Forum Resident

Oh, no. I'll be getting both, thank you. I a little nervous about both of them. I'm not loving what I'm hearing from either. I'm sure I'll catch on to the CT songs quickly. However, I'm still a little empty after the last Weezer album.

FJFP likes this.
  5. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

I have been buying each and every Weezer album hoping it is the one that really captures the old magic and I have been disappointed in varying degrees each and every time! Those River's Home Recordings discs are the best thing they have released since Pinkerton. (Love the deluxe version of 3 with the diary) Yes...I will buy this one too....and probably only remember a couple of songs a year from now.

6. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

I think their stuff has been kind of disappointing for a while now. Going back to the Red album, I liked some of the bonus tracks ("Pig", "The Spider") better than most of the album itself.

Hep Alien likes this.
  7. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means

Anyone get tix for any shows of the 2016 tour?

Thank God For Girls

8. Bowieboy

Bowieboy Forum Resident

Really? It seemed like in general their last album was actually really well received amongst the fans and many gave it the "best since Pinkerton" moniker and considered it a redemption for all the mediocrity.

stef1205 and FJFP like this.
  9. Byrdman77

Byrdman77 Forum Resident

Well I thought Raditude was pop perfection but the hardcore HATED it

FJFP likes this.
  10. profholt82

profholt82 Resident Blowhard

That's because Matt Sharp left the band after 'Pinkerton.' His falsetto vocals and fuzzy basslines have been sorely missed since. He was a key component to the Weezer formula. Sure, they can still rock and they still put out some catchy songs here and there, but without Sharp, they have not come close to the heights that they reached on those first two records.

sgtmono, Yorick, Scott222C and 6 others like this.
  11. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

^this, yes, but also the quality of Rivers songwriting went down the toilet after Maladroit and has never been seen again. I just can't take 45 year olds singing about stuff that matters to 13 year olds seriously, but maybe that's just me.

12. WilliamWes

Well at this point, it's cut and dry...

Hardcore fan: all albums, anticipating more.
    Casual fan: Blue Album, Pinkerton, a couple more here and there.
    Fair-weather fan: Blue Album, Pinkerton, scattered hits here and there.
    Ex-fan: Swears by Blue Album, Pinkerton and thinks they're garbage on every other thing they ever did. (I doubt that's a fan.)

13. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

I remember everyone hating Pinkerton when it came out. It was only about 10 years later did people kind of wake up and think it was a good album.

14. WilliamWes

I hate to disagree Mr. Nodeerforamonth (Great name), but when Weezer went on hiatus and fans thought it was over, it began creating momentum-remember at that point Cuomo was back at Harvard. By the time The Green Album came out in 2001, the anticipation was enormous even without Matt Sharp rejoining.

Hep Alien, Kermit27 and DrBeatle like this.
  15. What about those of us just waiting for Songs From The Black Hole to finally see the light of day?

Hep Alien and qtrules like this.
  16. WilliamWes

Just about every one is on the Rivers Cuomo releases. I put together two versions of that fine album though I had to piece them together. You are hardcore my man even if you don't have anything else but "Pinkerton". Good point. :righton:

Hep Alien likes this.
  17. DreamIsOver

DreamIsOver Senior Member

I love The Blue Album, like Pinkerton, The Green Album, Maladroit is ok, and have been mostly disappointed ever since.

The only label that applies is for Rivers and "Diminishing Returns"

DrBeatle and kwadguy like this.
  18. Maladroit is really good and I recommended it to anyone who is a casual, fair weather- or ex-fan.

19. WilliamWes

Yes, I didn't say all their albums were as good as the first two. They range from great to almost good. But there are still plenty of quality songs though any kind of innovation, influence, or growth is probably unlikely. You know what you get with many current bands anyway, most aren't very diverse. But they'll be above average when in comparison with their contemporaries until their contemporaries step up their game. So yeah, if you want music that will challenge you, chances are it's somewhere else.

You can tell I'm tired of the "I heard two or three singles since 'Pinkerton' and they all sucked" argument. Not talking about you of course Dreamisover (if you want it!). I hope I'm not coming off like an idiot here-I appreciate if anyone even likes one song from a band I like so it's really no biggie-I shouldn't label-makes me look pretentious or something. Sorry bout that.

20. The assembly of SFTBH you can produce using mostly the Alone demo albums isn't quite accurate to either complete CDR tracklistings that are in the Weezer archives, mainly due to the fact the Superfriend Reprise has yet to be officially released. Also, we don't know what versions of each song were originally used - the Deluxe Edition of Pinkerton would have been the perfect opportunity to include an approved final presentation of the full abandoned concept, but now I doubt it's ever going to happen. I've "rolled my own" in the past, and even the longest mix doesn't pass the 30 minute point, so technically you could include everything on a single disc. My guess is they're waiting until the band is no longer active and the rest of their vault has been cleared out before giving us this most wanted of holy grails...

P.S. In my opinion, Maladroit would have worked much better as the immediate follow-up to Pinkerton rather than having the second self-titled come out first.

21. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

I agree that the songs were astonishingly tightly crafted, contemporary pop-rock - a shame that the lyrics were astonishingly cringe worthy.

Bowieboy and FJFP like this.
  22. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

I myself am very excited for The White Album. Thank God For Girls is actually a really cool record, and Do You Wanna Get High? is a beautiful cross between Maladroit and Pinkerton (though the earliest incarnation does come from 1997). King of the World is also hardly a bad track. Given the producer has been posing on the ATW messageboard with some very promising info, this album is shaping up to be a great release.

Hep Alien, jammincrowe and Bowieboy like this.
  23. WilliamWes

[QUOTE=" I've "rolled my own" in the past, and even the longest mix doesn't pass the 30 minute point, so technically you could include everything on a single disc. My guess is they're waiting until the band is no longer active and the rest of their vault has been cleared out before giving us this most wanted of holy grails...[/QUOTE]

Definitely, I know what you mean. Some also feel edited or not totally completed, but the longer version I did is 20 songs, 40 minutes. Here's the running order. Used "Pinkerton" versions for those tracks.

1. Blast Off!
    2. Who You Callin' B___?
    3. Oh Jonas
    4. Please Remember
    5. Come to My Pod
    6. Oh No, This Is Not For Me
    7. Tired of Sex
    8. Superfriend
    9. She Had a Girl
    10. Dude, We're Finally Landing
    11. Now I Finally See
    12. Getchoo
    13. I Just Threw Out the Love of My Dreams
    14. Waiting on You
    15. No Other One
    16. Devotion
    17. What Is This I Find?
    18. You Won't Get with Me Tonight
    19. Longtime Sunshine (long)
    20. Longtime Sunshine (short)

Some mixes on YouTube include other stray tracks that kind of fit the theme to lengthen the album also. A lot of Weezer's album aren't too long anyway so 30-40 minutes is pretty close. Remember The Green Album is only 28 minutes long (that's like a 1964 length!).

Hep Alien likes this.
  24. Bowieboy

Bowieboy Forum Resident

Very true. I remember seeing them in January 1997 on that tour and getting a lot of "you still like those guys?" comments from classmates because the album had bombed so badly that everyone who loved them for the Buddy Holly video had moved on.... Weezer were "over", Pinkerton was a major bust and it seemed like only a small number of us actually liked the album, and now people look back at it as this massive classic that defined 1996. To the general public, Weezer was a one album wonder band who fizzled fast with their second album. It wasn't until the passage of time that the album began getting more popular.

marc with a c likes this.
  25. Bowieboy

Bowieboy Forum Resident

I remember a few weeks ago hearing "The Good Life" on the NPR station here and it led to my friend I've known since those days and I actually talking about how funny it is we hear it on the radio now whereas in 1996 you couldn't pay people enough money to touch the Pinkerton record

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.