Weezer new self-titled album for 2016 (the White album)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turnaround, Jan 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means

Well enjoy, and tell us about how the show was. I wanted to get some feedback because while I think they're pretty professional live, it felt a bit no frills to me with little banter. But for the music, it was totally worth it. I hadn't gotten to see them until the March 30th show, though I remember being in their fan club since 1995. Have fun!

2. Byrdman77

Byrdman77 Forum Resident

It was pretty good, third time I have seen them. They don't talk a whole lot on stage, not the most interesting band to watch but sounded good for the most part despite a really shambolic Island In The Sun - I don't know whether they forgot how to play it or were just bored playing it but the whole thing was a mess.

For the most part a greatest hits set - no Maladroit tracks, no Hurley tracks. I'd of preferred Memories and Keep Fishin to the fillerish Waste Land and You Gave Your Love...

1. California Kids
    2. My Name Is Jonas
    3. Hash Pipe
    4. Back to the Shack
    5. L.A. Girlz
    6. El Scorcho
    7. The British Are Coming
    8. Pork and Beans
    9. (If You're Wondering If I Want You To) I Want You To
    10. Do You Wanna Get High?
    11. Cleopatra
    12. The Waste Land
    13. Thank God for Girls
    14. Say It Ain't So
    15. The Good Life
    16. You Gave Your Love to Me Softly
      (Brian Bell on lead vocals)
    17. King of the World
    18. Island in the Sun
    19. Undone - The Sweater Song
    20. Encore:
    21. Beverly Hills
    22. Buddy Holly

WilliamWes, Brownd and Hep Alien like this.
  3. tremspeed

tremspeed Well-Known Member

Yeah, they have bands, but they're obscure. Matt has gone much, much further solo. Therefore I postulate that he's a more valuable collaborator than anyone else in the band.

4. ishmaelk

ishmaelk Forum Resident

The show wasn't great. It wasn't good, either. Rivers seemed to be out of it, completely. He was singing and playing like he was tired or couldn't be bothered. Dinosaur pile-up, who were supporting, were much better. Even a local band who played after Weezer, some kids under the name Orange Maplewood, were better.
    Of course, the setlist was killer but not their performance. And Island in the sun was a mess, too!!!

WilliamWes likes this.
  5. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Band has been a joke since Make Believe, churning out the same pre pubescent crap over and over. First two are essential, buyer beware after that. When they mattered...

DrBeatle, Ash76 and pinkrudy like this.
  6. TexasBuck

TexasBuck Forum Resident

Just got this and listened to it once. It sounds like re-hash of the Green Album, which really isn't a bad thing. Songs 6-8 were a bit of a rough patch, but overall, this album exceeded my expectations. I'd kind of given up on them. I never bothered with "Hurley" or "Death to False Metal" after hating the "Red Album" and "Ratitude". "Everything Will Be Alright in the End" had signs of life for me. I'll be listening to "The White Album" again soon. Hope has been restored, at least for a while.

Hep Alien likes this.
  7. ishmaelk

ishmaelk Forum Resident

There's no Weezer thread without someone repeating that "Weezer have been a joke since (insert album title here)". In your case it happens to be Make Believe, and you discard everything after the first two albums as pubescent crap. I'd say you haven't paid much attention to their music but thought appropriate to leave your comment regardless. And anyway if you happen to offend anyone, so what, I guess?
    I wonder why anyone who has stopped listening to any band still think they must comment in threads obviously open by and for those who still enjoy or at least give a chance to their music.

Mechanical Man likes this.
  8. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

*sigh*... I just don't get you guys sometimes...

This is, without a doubt, weezer's best album since the incredible Pinkerton. I may even prefer it to Blue (though nothing beats OID). Everything on it is gauged perfectly, and across the great variety of tracks on offer, Weezer does what Weezer does best. The classic sound (L.A. Girlz is pure Blue), right to experimenting with something new (TGFG and Jacked Up). Nothing is overdone, and everything is perfectly balanced. Rivers is also right on the top of his lyrical game here, with just about every song requiring more than just a face value reading.

As for the mastering, I saw it as perfectly fine. Better would have been nice, but the producer (Who has been posting on the ATW boards) confirmed they made it the most dynamic they could. FWIW, the vinyl version was mastered separately, with no peak limiting applied at the very least. Compare the versions of TGFG and DYWGH on the album to those on the original single releases - so much better.

Also, (Girl We Got A) Good Thing is so Beach Boysy it's almost terrifying.

9.5/10.

9. Colin Allstations

Colin Allstations Forum Resident

Wow, I Don't Want To Let You Go and Do You Want To Get High are great songs.

Hep Alien and FJFP like this.
  10. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

I need to listen to this again to really let it settle, but after my first spin yesterday, I'm landing much closer to FJFP's thoughts than you other folks. Part of it may have been the sunshine being out in Chicago for the first time in a week, or finally feeling better after having an obnoxious cold, but I thought it was a great half hour of power pop. It's the perfect balance between the early charm of Blue and Pinkerton and the more recent pop megastardom reach, though I won't go as far as saying it's better than the first two records. Aside from the kind of corny "Thank God", I really, really enjoyed it.

Hep Alien, WilliamWes and FJFP like this.
  11. FJFP

Yeah, actually calling it better than Blue (I'm a Pinkerton guy) may be premature, but given that rankings don't really matter, that point is kinda redundant. Some great music here in a tight 34 min package.

Adam Bosman likes this.
  12. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

I've heard the Red, Maladroit, Make Believe, EWBAITE & Ratitude albums and stand behind what I said 100%. It's just MY OPINION. This is a lazy band going through the motions sounding bored doing it.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
    Jack o' the Shadows likes this.
  13. ishmaelk

ishmaelk Forum Resident

I never intended to say you're not entitled to your opinion. Please come back and repeat the same things when a new album makes someone start a new thread.
    We don't need to agree at all. If you've read the previous posts in this thread, you must have read my opinion on the album. To me, it's just an ok album. Nothing special.
    But anyone who discards EWBAITE or the Red album as pubescent crap, shouldn't even bother to listen to the band. Of course, you're welcome to repeat the same opinion next time.

14. Byrdman77

Byrdman77 Forum Resident

I don't understand Weezer fans, yes I'll accept the first 2 albums sound different, they are raw and more 'grunge' in production style but this band have barely changed at all to my ears, they keep churning out Weezer music that sounds like Weezer - if you like Weezer I would of thought you'd like something on every album, if you don't like Weezer they are never going to appeal. The White album for me is like every other album, it has some great pop songs on it that stick in my head for a few weeks/months and then I don't feel I need to return to them until they bring out another album. There's always some songs I dislike on every Weezer record, Raditude is the only one I can listen to all the way through without skipping anything - but I know i'm on my own there! haha

WilliamWes and FJFP like this.
  15. ishmaelk

ishmaelk Forum Resident

You don't understand Weezer fans but you agree on how absurd it is to keep repeating the same story about how great the first two albums were and how crappy the rest is? You are a Weezer fan!
    To me there are obvious changes between albums. Some of them are more distinctive than others. The red album, for one, has a very different feel to, say, Green or EWBAITE, for example. Raditude is very different too to the White album.
    In my opinion, humble or not, if you have gone through certain changes in your life and expect the musicians to replicate those changes (because otherwise you won't relate to their music), Weezer won't appeal to you.
    I expect Weezer to sound like Weezer, the way I expected the Ramones to sound like the Ramones.

Hep Alien, WilliamWes and Ash76 like this.
  16. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means

Very similar experience with the Weezer show I attended. But I thought it was Cuomo didn't like being in such close quarters with fans. Guess he's just kind of anti-social-there's a lack of charisma for sure. Makes me even more surprised he dressed like Elvis for the Fallon appearance.

17. TexasBuck

TexasBuck Forum Resident

Listened to this again. I think the melodies and lyrics are stronger than the past several albums. I think the backing vocals add significantly to the harmonies, in a way they haven't for a while. It's a little more melancholy and self-deprecating. The songs are more guitar based. The White Album is back to the Weezer I like. Not saying it's their best or anything but at this stage in their career, I think this is a strong album for them.

Hep Alien, sgtmono, Ash76 and 3 others like this.
  18. Byrdman77

Byrdman77 Forum Resident

I do think lyrically Green and Maladroit were weakest by far, generally nonsensical. I like Rivers more when he is singing about a subject and not abstract lines.

19. ishmaelk

ishmaelk Forum Resident

I'm starting to think it's a grower. There's an interesting review of the album in Allmusic.

Hep Alien and FJFP like this.
  20. Byrdman77

Byrdman77 Forum Resident

I think California Kids, King of The World and Jacked Up are really strong additions to their catalogue. I also like Summer Elaine, Wind In Our Sail and Good Thing. Do You Want To Get High and Thank God for Girls have already got old for me and I am skipping them after 1 week! LA Girlz and Endless Bummer are ok but not too impressed.

I think I played their last album more but this one does feel more consistent.

Hep Alien and WilliamWes like this.
  21. Byrdman77

Byrdman77 Forum Resident

I think California Kids, King of The World and Jacked Up are really strong additions to their catalogue. I also like Summer Elaine, Wind In Our Sail and Good Thing. Do You Want To Get High and Thank God for Girls have already got old for me and I am skipping them after 1 week! LA Girlz and Endless Bummer are ok but not too impressed.

22. Byrdman77

Byrdman77 Forum Resident

23. Byrdman77

Byrdman77 Forum Resident

24. FJFP

I find it odd anyone that calls themselves a fan of Weezer could play down L.A. Girlz. THAT is the sound of Blue through-and-Though, with an insanely beautiful bridge (one of many great bridges on the album).

Hep Alien and ishmaelk like this.
  25. Byrdman77

Byrdman77 Forum Resident

Yeah the bridge is nice, it's not a bad song I just don't find it a highlight. I came to Weezer with the Green album so those first two albums are not the sacred cows for me that they are to many others. I like Blue and Pinkerton a lot but I like many songs from their other albums equally.

FJFP likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.