Weezer reissues first six albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cyclistsb, Sep 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

I've got Maladroit on order from Amazon, but they sent me a notice today that the shipping has hit a snag. It is the only one I need as I have the MoFis of the other ones and I grabbed an original Red this summer. I'll chime in on sound and/or pressing plant once I ultimately get it.

Embracetheday and ryanward84 like this.
  2. Embracetheday

Embracetheday Forum Resident

For anyone considering getting these reissues, I got Blue today to test out the quality and it sounds fantastic. I've never owned this one on vinyl, but I can say it smokes any other listening experience I've had with it up to this point.

Going back for Pinkerton tomorrow.

3. Grohlfan

Grohlfan Dan

Good news for the others. How's the pressing and who did it?

AcidPunk15 likes this.
  4. elegantcast3

elegantcast3 New Member

There's a sticker on the shrink wrap that states "Direct Metal Mastering cut at Abbey Road". Not quite conducive to the pressing itself, but that's all the information I'm finding. In my experience though, these reissues sound amazing. I bought Pinkerton yesterday and thought it sounded great, picked up Blue and it sounds even better. Definitely worth 17.99 a piece.

Brownd likes this.
  5. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

Can't speak for them all but..

Maladroit is pressed at RTI. No mastering info in the deadwax. Just the catalog number and the RTI code.

Brownd, ryanward84 and Grohlfan like this.
  6. hitmanhart408

hitmanhart408 Forum Resident

Just got Maladroit and Make Believe from Amazon today. I'm very excited to finally have Maladroit (since originals arent cheap) and Make Believe (couldn't justify the MoFi expense).

I have Blue, Green, and Pinkerton MoFi versions. I guess I need Red but I don't really like that album. There's the other ones that I don't care about as well such as Hurley, etc. I did pick up the new White album a few weeks ago though.

I saw a few posters here mentioned that the new pressing of Blue sounds fantastic. Any comparisons to the MoFi version?

7. Embracetheday

Embracetheday Forum Resident

I don't have the mofi version - this is
    my first time owning Blue on vinyl, but wow - "Say It Ain't So" in particular - I can hear the hum of the amps and feedback I had never heard during the eighth note guitar part on the chorus.

I also ended up getting Pinkerton and for $19 a pop, I HIGHLY recommend these.

How is Green, anyone?

jumpinjulian likes this.
  8. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

How about the MoFi version of JA's 'Surrealistic Pillow' that is probably around the same length(maybe 34-35 minutes?), and cost $50? And 2 of the songs, 'My Best Friend' & 'How Do You Feel' are not that great-IMO, so that leaves 9 of 11 songs and makes that album about 28 minutes for me(although those 9 songs are very good to great). Although the 2003 CD Reissue has 6 Bonus Songs, so that was a good bargain for $8. And 'Baxters' on the 2003 CD with Bonus Songs is only $6.

Randy5554 likes this.
  9. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

Weezer - 8/10
    Pinkerton - 9/10
    Weezer - 7/10
    Maladriot - 4/10
    Make Believe - 4/10
    Weezer - 6/10

10. Are these sound quality ratings of the new reissues? If so, what are they based on?

11. dogpile

dogpile Generation X record spinner.

Listening to Blue right now as I type. Having never owned a vinyl copy, this reissue sounds good...

RTI pressing, quiet surfaces and flat vinyl. For $20 one can't complain and I'm very happy to finally have this in my collection.

12. My green album has no insert. Is this normal?

13. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

I got the blue vinyl MoFi Blue album. It sounds great but Side 2 has a nasty scratch on it that ruins the whole experience for me. I haven't even bothered to contact musicdirect about it yet because I have had terrible experiences with them in the past regarding defective/damaged goods (Kind of a blue 45 set also came damaged, but that at least only had a small scratch, not across an entire side)

I swore them off, haven't bought from them for over a year. Saw the preorder email for this and figured lightning couldn't strike twice. I was wrong. Getting a replacement disc for my KoB 45 was a nightmare and a half and now it looks like one I'll be reliving.

Highly recommended, but buy it from a more reputable retailer.

Brownd likes this.
  14. Brownd

Brownd Forum Resident

Didn't expect they would be cut at Abbey Road. I'm impressed.
    It seems EU editions were pressed at Record Industry, judging by this

Hope I have more luck with SoundStage! Still waiting for my MoFi to arrive

15. Vinyl Dude

Vinyl Dude Well-Known Member

I got 5 of the reissues on the first 6 albums when they hit the streets a week or so ago (since I still absolutely LOVE my colored-vinyl 1st-pressing of "Red" and see no reason to upgrade to the new one), and I was THOROUGHLY impressed with the sound and pressing quality (all my copies are perfectly flat and centered), plus the fact that they were DMM-mastered by the folks at Abbey Road; For under $20 a record, it's an ABSOLUTE bargain! Also of note, this marks the first time I've ever owned either the "Blue" or "Green" albums on vinyl, and the first time in a NUMBER of years that I owned "Maladroit" or "Make Believe" in this format as well. I did find it odd that they neglected to include "Ratitude" as part of this reissue campaign. Aside from Riv's misdirected/misunderstood Dance Pop parody, "Can't Stop Partyin'" (and it was only meant to be a JOKE, even if most fans didn't get it and cried "Sellout" instead), I never thought "Ratitude" was such a bad record, otherwise. But no worries, b/c I've also still got my 1st-pressing of that as well. Thus, notwithstanding the continued absence of "Death To False Metal" from my collection, I'm happy to report that I now have ALL 10 of Weezer's studio albums on vinyl-A DREAM COME TRUE, indeed!!!!!

dogpile likes this.
  16. Is there an insert with 'Green' ?

17. Vinyl Dude

Vinyl Dude Well-Known Member

No insert. But all the pertinent info/credits are listed on the back cover. Why do you ask? Was there originally a lyric insert with the 1st-pressing of "Green"? Either way, I won't fret. I'll just enjoy the fact that I now have it on vinyl!

18. Thanks. I noticed it was the only one of the 1st 4 I bought that didn't have it. This is the only version I've had.

19. Tropehjelm

Tropehjelm Forum Resident

I dont have Pinkerton,and are getting one. I see there are some of the Mofi Ultra analog in stock at the Mobile Fidelity store,but then i have to order from USA,and it would cost at least twice as getting one of the reissues here in Norway. Have anyone compared them? I have the Mofi Blue album,and are really happy with that one.

20. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

My local Fry's has the MFSL Blue Album for $12.99.

AcidPunk15 likes this.
  21. Alex D.

Alex D. Forum Resident

Wow! I saw it last week at Barnes and Noble for $50. It was a nice even number, like 25,000 IIRC.

22. soniclovenoize

soniclovenoize Forum Resident

Ugh guys c'mon just give us a lossless official release of the Summer 2k songs/recordings.

TimeandTempo likes this.
  23. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Score.

Rocking Eagle likes this.
  24. markaberrant

markaberrant Forum Resident

I bought Blue and Pinkerton DMM this week.

Blue - the DMM is a little more dynamic than my 320 pressing which is already good. But side 2 of DMM is scratched all to hell and affects play (yes, I have run it through a proper RCM).

Pinkerton - the DMM and my 320 are nearly indistinguishable. Both sound great for what this album is.

Black Stripes likes this.
  25. paging12

paging12 Member

Hey,

I have the Green Album CD from when it was originally released. It had a simple folded insert with the band picture on front and credits on back. It opened up and had a stage picture inside. So, a gatefold for a 12" would theoretically be the same thing. I hope this helps.

Now, I never had the red album when it came out so I don't know if it would have had an insert. But I just bought the reissue on vinyl. It has a gatefold and no insert. So, I'm assuming that it's the same concept where there is just a gatefold with all pertinent information. Can anyone confirm whether the red album reissue should have an insert? Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.