"The Hateful Eight" - Kurt Russell with Quentin Tarantino again! Distributed in 70mm!*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by lasvidfil, Sep 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lasvidfil

lasvidfil Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Kurt is high on my watch list! that's fantastic...

3. Atari265278

Atari265278 Forum Resident

:cool:

Sounds interesting!

4. heatherly

heatherly Well-Known Member

Kurt was fantastic in Death Proof. Also love Quentin's work.

This will be a must see for me!

Drifter likes this.
  5. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Has Quentin said who will be his new editor ? I know no one can replace Sally, but...life does go on, and Quentin's working again...

6. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Kurt Russell is THE MAN. Whenever I am in crisis, I think to myself, "What Would Kurt Russell Do?" He is a national treasure and it would be freakin' cool if he and Tarantino could work together again.

Why the hell didn't he get a supporting actor oscar for "Vanilla Sky"? His character was the only one I cared about. He reached into my soul with that performance. He needs a lifetime achievement award.

7. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

According to the link, Kurt is replacing Kevin Costner! I never thought Costner and Tarantino would work together and now maybe they never will.

JediJoker likes this.
  8. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

From today's LA Times:

The Weinstein Co. is bringing Quentin Tarantino's "The Hateful Eight" to the big screen -- the very big screen.
    The company announced Wednesday that it will handle worldwide distribution for the writer-director's post-Civil War western, which will be shot on 65-millimeter film and is intended to have the widest 70-millimeter release in more than 20 years. "The Hateful Eight" will also screen in 35-millimeter and DCP formats after an exclusive 70-millimeter release......

http://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...o-hateful-eight-weinstein-20140903-story.html

alexpop, mr. scratchy esq and Dan C like this.
  9. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Cool! I saw a 70mm screening of PT Andersen's The Master a couple years ago and it was some of the most beautiful cinematography I've ever witnessed. Not many theaters left that can properly screen 70mm, though.

10. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

norman_frappe and Dan C like this.
  11. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Since when it become sheik hype and edgy to still film in
    70 mm.? I toally aware of red eye camera and such.
    Good grief.
    Is there going to be a special category on academy awards for best art film
    or indie filmed in 70mm is this where this going?

12. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Stage film.
    Another turd( that I'll watch)
    His first 4 were great.
    So' Hateful Four ...then.:)

Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
  13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The weird thing is, when they did an actors' reading of the script before an audience about six months ago, we found out that a lot of the film takes place inside a stagecoach! I'm not sure this setting actually lends itself to 65mm. And Tarantino's films are very dialogue-intensive... and the 65mm cameras are extremely noisy, which will make recording sound more difficult.

chilinvilin, ex_mixer and IronWaffle like this.
  14. alexpop

Should get a job back at his old video store, he's lost the plot

15. user33977

user33977 Banned

Hm, had he actually ever found it?

Werner.

16. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Just cheat, shoot it digitally and transfer it over to 65MM negative

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  17. :tiphat: Hope its in mono

a customer and alexpop like this.
  18. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Yeah, with two consecutive well-received hit films, multiple Oscar nominations and an Oscar win, it's clear that Tarantino is done. He might as well quit! :rolleyes:

19. Hagstrom

Hagstrom Please stop calling them vinyls.

I think this is great news and everyone should rejoice in the fact QT is pushing back against digital projection. Sign me up for this, please. Now to find a theater in the Philadelphia area that can screen 70mm...

mdm08033 and Dan C like this.
  20. alexpop

'quit'
    For once 'I have to agree with you.

Mazzy likes this.
  21. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I kinda felt the same way about THE MASTER. I also thought it was weird that it was done in 1.85:1. Still, that was a good lookin' movie, and I wish I had seen it as intended.

I take it standard 65mm cams are noisier than 35mm, but quiter than an IMAX camera? There's plenty of quiet dialogue scenes in THE MASTER, I wonder if extra care was taken to quiet the camera, or was it mostly ADR.

Either way, I applaud (however pointlessly) any folks who use film these days and good on anyone who takes on its high quality niche cousin 65/70mm.

Dan C, Vidiot and IronWaffle like this.
  22. Mark Nelson

Mark Nelson Forum Resident

I actually have a theater capable of playing 70mm in my relatively small town. This'll be a good excuse for them to fire
    up the old beast and let folks see how good film can look. The last thing they ran in 70 was a somewhat battered print
    of TERMINATOR 2 a couple of years ago, which was cool to see in that format.

23. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

That was probably one scene, though. Since this is a western, I'm sure there will be lots of wide shots to take full advantage of 65mm.

24. alexpop

Inside a stagecoach,sheesh.
    What a wasted opportunity.

25. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I haven't seen 70mm in so long, I can't really compare my experience with digital project. All I will say is that since theaters have gone digital, movies seem to be IN FOCUS a lot more frequently.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.