"Weird Al" Yankovic Complete Works box set*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Brownd, Jun 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marc with a c

marc with a c Forum Resident

And once you find out that it's a "style parody" of "Dick's Automotive" by The Rugburns, your mind is blown even further!

Brownd and ghostnotes like this.
  2. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

I saw Al with my son at Wild Adventures in Valdosta, GA and it was an entertaining show. There were some recent wildfires in the area and it was quite smokey. Al mentioned that part of his tour rider demanded that the area be filled with smoke or he would not play hahaha. They played a lot of video clips in between songs while they made costume changes and I thought this one was funny:

Brownd and applejam101 like this.
  3. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

This might be my favorite "interview"- with Avril Lavigne.

Brownd, Mr. H and MikeInFla like this.
  4. Lost Monkey

Lost Monkey Forum Resident

Another great "style parody" and an awesome video. Love Charles too- he was always my favourite on Match Game...

5. Adlocust

Adlocust Well-Known Member

I look at Weird Al as a music lover's artist. When I was a kid, I loved him for the funny parodies of hit songs. As I got older and got into music, I could really appreciate the attention to detail, especially in the originals that are in the style of other artists. I even discovered a few artists due to those originals, such as Sparks and Elvis Costello.

6. applejam101

applejam101 Humble Fan

This is one of his funniest!

7. Brownd

Brownd Forum Resident Thread Starter

8. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

9. Raf

Raf Senior Member

Yeah. "You're Pitiful" has been freely available for a decade. Blunt still can't laugh at himself? Most people probably don't even remember the song it's based on.

The Hud likes this.
  10. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I don't understand the logic of not allowing it on the box set at this point. There's really no reason not to allow it.

11. The Hud

Does he still make music? Does anyone care if he does?

12. bunglejerry

bunglejerry Forum Resident

So a decade ago Blunt was okay with it but Atlantic Records wasn't, and now it's Blunt who's not?

In the spirit of Cockney rhyming slang, what a total James Blunt.

Lost In The Flood and Brownd like this.
  13. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

14. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

His album after "You're Beautiful" was sold at Dollar Tree.

Not kidding.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  15. The Hud

Haha, that's awesome! He would have made more money giving permission to Weird Al.

16. jalexander

jalexander Forum Resident

Yes. Bought the deluxe edition there on a whim. Traded it shortly thereafter to a used CD shop for $3 credit. Guy has a cool story, but terribly bland music.

Weird AL on the other hand... still have all my cassettes from the 80s. Even Worse was one of the first three albums I ever bought. His debut and Polka Party were quite hard to find back then!

Lost In The Flood and Brownd like this.
  17. bermuda

bermuda Forum Resident

Just stumbled on this thread, here's some info that I'm probably allowed to reveal.

Each of the albums has been remastered, including those originally mastered for vinyl (first six studio albums, and the two most recent albums.) I'm sure Alpocalypse will be an improvement over the 2011 vinyl release. :)

There'll be a book full of photos from my archive, Sony says 100 pages. I also supplied fresh 12" promo flats of the CD-only albums, where scanning the 4.75" booklet would have made for pretty crunchy LP art.

Sony has produced a few (mercifully) short videos of me showing some of the items, and talking about first meeting Al. I say mercifully, because they shot a few hours of footage! Those will appear in conjunction with the pre-order announce at PledgeMusic.com (not sure when that will be.)

Attention to detail is pretty high on the accordion box, they wanted pictures of the back side of Al's accordion so they could capture every nuance (I think the only thing unusual was the etched Made in Italy.)

The rarities disc is still in-progress, and while You're Pitiful was indeed turned down again, there are PLENTY of other rare songs proposed by Al, while also remembering to include a few singles that didn't appear on the studio albums, and alternate versions. There are a few surprises, too. :)

We don't have a release date yet, and I don't know for sure how many LP boxes will be made, but it is a limited edition. I have no idea about the price, but it's really not aimed at the casual fan. This is for die-hards, and if they happen to like vinyl, all the better! Actually, it will also be available on CD, but I don't know what that packaging will be.

But it's going to be a very cool release, and although Al isn't contractually tied to the label anymore, this is being put together with our complete cooperation, and it's a real labor of love.

Bermuda Schwartz
    The "Weird Al" Yankovic Band

18. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Wow, Jon! This sounds fantastic just based on that information alone! Thanks for sharing, and welcome to the forum. :)

19. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

Wow, it's fun to see an actual real live artist checking in like this. Thanks for the information! And thanks also for being part of a fantastic show at Wolf Trap this summer. Weird Al may not be to everyone's taste but he's very good at what he does. I'm sure he would have had similar success as a "serious" musician if he hadn't discovered that making people laugh and smile is a noble calling. He's outlasted many of the acts that he has lampooned over the years, with the same great band for all these years. You guys have my thanks, my gratitude and my respect.

20. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

An accompanying DVD box set of the complete AL-TV would be even more awesome.

I'd like a pony as well.

21. Chris DeVoe

It's a shame that James "Silly" Blunt still hasn't discovered a sense of humor. I understand Al splits royalties with the original songwriter on all his parodies, so anything he gets would be a lot more than he's made in the last decade or so.

22. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I just know this will be a lavish 27 disc set.

Brownd likes this.
  23. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

Wouldn't that be a bit too predictable? What about a 140-song collection?

24. The Hud

I remember when artists were honored to be parodied by Weird Al. If Michael Jackson and Madonna are ok with being parodied, you would think everyone would be.

25. Chris DeVoe

Chamillionare said it was how he knew he had truly "made it" - when Weird Al parodied his song Ridin' (Dirty).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.