Weird CD player glitch

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Musical Chairs, Oct 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Musical Chairs

Musical Chairs Forum Resident Thread Starter

Apologies if there has been another relevant thread, but my CD player has been doing this weird thing where it skips a note or two of the disc's opening track.

What could be causing that?

2. If the artist is deceased more than likely they are composing something new in heaven/hell so they are taking some notes from you.

if the artist is alive more than likely you are paying some kind of new tax for listening

so all is good

UltraDNS and Musical Chairs like this.
  3. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

Are you using a digital out and running it into another DAC? I have a DVD player I use for playing CDs and hi-res burned to DVD that I run thru coaxial into my receiver... I've had this happen occasionally.

4. Musical Chairs

Musical Chairs Forum Resident Thread Starter

Nope, just a CD player plugged into my receiver just like my turntable and tape deck, which have no problems.

5. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

Dang. Worth a shot!

6. merlperl

merlperl Forum Resident

Could be something on the disc or a scratch. Is it only on one disc or has it happened on several?

7. Sometimes, the laser and/or the rails on some older players need to be cleaned. Need a tech to do this if you haven't done it before. What kind of CD player?

8. Thoughtships

Thoughtships Forum Resident

Sounds like dirt on the rails to me.

9. Jerry Garcia Jr

Jerry Garcia Jr Forum Resident

My Luxman D-N100 does the same thing. It always skips on the first track of every CD and then plays the rest perfectly. So the laser is not the problem. I've been doing some research and it seems Thoughship's analysis could be correct. One of these days I'll try to fix it - the idea of sending the unit to Japan for repair makes me completey depressed, I simply refuse...

My first CD player was a nondescript one from JVC that I used daily for 17 years without a hint of a problem. When I got rid of it, it was still working perfectly. Those were the days!

10. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

My blu-ray player is connected via HDMI to the AVR. The first track is muted for about two seconds. It's a known issue w/ HDMI handshaking due to the older AVR's software.

If you don't connect via HDMI, then I'm sorry I don't have any suggestions.

11. iDigital

iDigital Forum Resident

I had the same issue with my Cambridge Audio gear, the first few seconds of the first song, gone, sound soon kicks in and we’re off and running, I once swapped out my Cambridge Audio bd 752 and put in place my Sony bdp s380, connection was always through HDMI, same result, I had no issues until I bought the Cambridge gear, so I sold it all off ! Apparently, the issue stems from the cirrus DACs used, no cure for it, except to find a avr that does not use these types of DACs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.