Weird choices for opening tracks

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tristero, Jul 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense Thread Starter

I'm listening to the Only Ones debut right now and when I put it on, I almost expected to hear "Another Girl, Another Planet" first, forgetting that it starts with "The Whole of the Law". Don't get me wrong, I quite like the song, but it does feel like an unusual choice, more of a deep cut for later in the album. Surely, "Another Girl" would have made a more logical pick to kick off the album with its extended intro and its memorable hooks.

What are some other notably strange choices for opening tracks?

Bob_Rush likes this.
  2. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

MC5 Back In The USA opening with Tutti Frutti

3. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Weather Report "Can It Be Done" on the Domino Theory album... not only a strange opener, but strange period in the context of the album...

4. zen

zen Senior Member

EXP Axis: Bold As Love (Jimi Hendrix Experience)

5. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

"Back in the USSR" opening the White Album. I think "Helter Skelter" or "Happiness is a Warm Gun" would have been more interesting openers, with the "Back in the USSR"/"Dear Prudence" combo closing one of the sides.

Davido likes this.
  6. belushipower

belushipower Forum Resident

I think it's a great choice for an opener. A rock and roll record called Back To The USA opening with a classic American rock and roller! Sets the 'tone' - literally!

7. ReadySteady

ReadySteady Custom Title

Disagree. I mean, where else could you possibly put it?

8. zen

zen Senior Member

In the vault, forever. :winkgrin:

9. Tristero

It's weird for sure, but I see that more as an oddball intro to the first track proper.

Beet and Folknik like this.
  10. live evil

live evil Senior Member

I think Up by R.E.M. would have been better received with a different opening track. It wasn't the best way to begin the final stage of their career (IMHO).

11. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

The title track of The Strokes' Is This It.

"We Dance" from Pavement's Wowee Zowee.

In both cases, the albums don't really get going until the second track.

jimmydean, sekaer and Tristero like this.
  12. Tristero

Gotta disagree about "Happiness is a Warm Gun" kicking off the album. That's one of my favorite tracks on the White Album, so you don't want to lead off right away with the climactic moment, you know? Where do you go from there? I think "Helter Skelter" would have been too jarring and unusual from the band as well.

13. egebamyasi

I heard Kick Out The Jams and High Time first so when I first put the Back In The USA CD on I thought maybe I got a reissue of Sha Na Na by accident. I suppose it does fit the theme but it was a little underwhelming compared to the previous album's opening track. I kind of like it now especially the guitar solo.

14. Tristero

Yeah, I've kind of gotten used to that one as an understate precursor to the main event, but it threw me off for a long time.

Monosterio likes this.
  15. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

"Gridlock" from The Pogues' Peace and Love album. The jazzy instrumental is a little out of place......let alone being the opening track.

16. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

"Music for Money" from Nick Lowe's Jesus of Cool. Just about the last song I would have started it with. (It's the last cut on the U.S. version.)

sgtmono and ronton99 like this.
  17. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

"Dream World" opening "The Birds, The Bees, and The Monkees", "Through The Looking Glass" opening "Instant Replay".

Keith V, Natural E and ajsmith like this.
  18. Chew

Chew Casual Stalker

Mustapha opening Queen's "Jazz" album. Dead On Time, or Let Me Entertain You would have been MUCH better choices.

19. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

To quote Nigel Tufnel
    "Is this a joke?"

Musician95616, Fullbug, TS582 and 4 others like this.
  20. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

Over and Over opening Tusk by Fleetwood Mac. It's one of McVie's best written tracks, but it's not an album opener.

ralph7109, Fullbug, tim_neely and 5 others like this.
  21. egebamyasi

I think they were trying to be Radiohead on that one. Which is silly because they are REM.

vudicus, Joti Cover and The Hud like this.
  22. The Hole Got Fixed

The Hole Got Fixed Owens, Poell, Saberi

Wow that's just SO wrong.

23. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

HA HA. Why? It's not in my Top 10 songs from the White Album, so in my mind it doesn't start the album off on the best foot.

24. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Dayman, fighter of the Nightman

Opening with Tears Of Rage on Music from Big Pink is definitely a strange choice but it totally works.

25. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Yeah, that was intentionally low key. "Think About Me" would have been more conventionally appropriate.

Similarly, the Band's MUSIC FROM BIG PINK starts with the audaciously slow "Tears of Rage."

sekaer and Holy Diver like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.