Weird Question about your listening room (paint color) *

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by mcenters, Aug 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. White. That's the way the house came and that's the way my wife wanted it.

2. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

I'm using that "Super Sound Extra Cover". It's only $500/gal, comes only in fluorescent colors and is said to diffuse and absorb all unwanted nodes and sonic disorders. :D

Robert C likes this.
  3. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Whoa....it looks like a wizard exploded in there. :D

4. _rod_serling_

_rod_serling_ Forum Resident

I'll throw a slightly different idea out there. One that I did. Most of the walls in our house are some shade of green- different shades of a bamboo culm is what I was going with. So in my listening room it is a flat dark nice green but the ceiling i painted a deep dark flat black. I saw a picture either on here once or on the web of someone's HIGH end listening area and it was similar. and the bottom trim is actual wood with a deep honey/slight orange tint. I still have not done the top trim in the room (where the green meets the black) as I have not decided/have not been struck by an idea yet. I vacillate between just plain trim or building a lattice work of thin beams (1x4- its a small room) the same shade as the bottom trim.
    This is dedicated listening room and I wanted it to be dark and not have distractions. The white ceiling always bothered me in there.
    I have flat spattered finish ceilings so they are easier to paint - if you have a popcorn ceiling then it might make your decision easier :)

5. PROG U.K.

PROG U.K. Audiophile-Anglophile

6. PearlJamNoCode

PearlJamNoCode Forum Resident

Used to be white. Painted it blue. Really tightened up the bass and opened up the soundstage.

bluesky, jon9091 and stephencorkery like this.
  7. timind

timind phorum rezident

Would love to see a pic of this. Unless cameras don't work in that room.

jon9091, 4xoddic and PROG U.K. like this.
  8. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

Tin foil everything.

9. gingerly

gingerly Change Returns Success

We did our listening room in Benjamin Moore/Flowering Herbs, after MUCH experimentation. It's tranquil, fairly neutral, and even interesting as light changes on it - it goes from a pleasant green (below) to almost khaki.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ...not my room, but not entirely different in terms of pictures/colors.

Tullman, B_big!, eddiel and 1 other person like this.
  10. wgtp

wgtp New Member

I was told lite blue with a lite green ceiling but the ceiling part was too weird

11. 4xoddic

4xoddic Forum Resident

I would recommend "Kodak Gray:"

You will notice in this video that as the girl moves the card into varying levels of light, the intensity of the gray also varies. I convinced my wife to paint our HT/listening room Kodak Gray. Any light reflected off the gray walls does NOT alter the color of other objects. The gray compliments ALL colors. Depending upon the angle of view & lighting, the gray may trend toward a blue-gray, or violet-gray.

http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/for-your-home/color-stories/shades-of-gray

Good Luck!

jon9091 likes this.
  12. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly?

What color would you want your room to be if you had synesthesia?

13. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

14. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

Neutral, neutral then more neutral.

[​IMG]

mcenters and B_big! like this.
  15. TomM

TomM Forum Resident

I will discuss this with her when she returns from Brooklyn in a couple of days. In the past, we have been reluctant to post photos of the inside of our home.

16. timind

timind phorum rezident

Understood.

We are traveling to upstate NY next week for a wedding. I wouldn't want to be on the suspect list.

17. JerolW

JerolW Senior Member

Chocolate truffle. I like it dark.
    White ceiling, though.

jerol

18. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

Plain white.

19. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

For me it's the color of wood. To give the room a warm inviting feel and to help control room anomalies I laminated 3/4" brazilian pine to the walls, my avatar.

20. My 12 x 15 room overlooks a lake so I see a lot of blue lake, blue sky with trees and shrubs. Painted mine a steel grey with hint of blue. Very restful. Also have vintage music posters, opera posters and some abstract art on walls which brighten things. Quite happy with results

mcenters likes this.
  21. Hipper

Hipper Forum Resident

The advantage of using a light colour is that you can make it darker by reducing the light - closing curtains etc.. You can't really make a dark colour lighter.

I'm a lazy decorator and chose a very light grey and painted it on the wall and ceiling (with skirting boards and door white). That saved me having to fuss with getting neat lines on the corners.

You of course need to consider carpet, curtains/blinds etc. in your deliberations. Also if you intend to have room treatment - bass traps etc. - they should be thought about too.

22. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

everyone knows that green sounds the best

gingerly likes this.
  23. DLD

DLD Senior Member

Not that I think it makes any difference but to answer your question our main room is dark brown, walls and ceiling.

24. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Especially when listening to Cream - Wheels of Fire.

25. pylond

pylond New Member

Hey all. We are planning to renovate my son’s music room and he is too old and the space is less for him. Recently I read this blog ( http://www.gorillabins.ca/blog/renovation-plans-save-money-with-a-diy-approach/ ) . We are planning to paint her room along with some furnishing works by ourselves. I have heard that the chemicals from paint affects child's health.. Can anyone share more details about this?. Which brand should I use?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.