Weird Question about your listening room (paint color) *

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by mcenters, Aug 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mcenters

mcenters Forum Resident Thread Starter

So I am moving into a new home this weekend, and I finally have the space for my own listening room. My weird question is, what color did you paint the walls, and why? Looking for some inspiration and figured this thread could help get the ball rolling.

2. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

Mine are light blue. Nice, calming blue. FWIW I painted the walls before I decided where to put the stereo.

bootbox and mcenters like this.
  3. Thing Fish

Thing Fish “Jazz isn't dead. It just smells funny.”

White, white and thrice white. Easy to touch up and never go's out of fashion.

Accessorise with colourful furnishings,rugs and pictures but keep the walls white.

Gavinyl, martinb4, Shiver and 4 others like this.
  4. mcenters

I know me posting this question is very "different" but I want to be one and done as painting is a pain the rear.

5. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

My room is blue, but I'm not calm. :)

6. Paint it a color that YOU like.

Agent of Fortune and Rne like this.
  7. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

"Any Colour You Like"

Aftermath, BigGame, hiddman and 5 others like this.
  8. UglySickJoker

UglySickJoker Forum Resident

My listening room looks somewhat like LaVey's ritualchamber.... lots of black and red... candles.... my private 'decompressiontank' so to speak....works like a charm...

T'mershi Duween and mcenters like this.
  9. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

This may be the easiest and simplest option. Instead of spending your time trying to work out a wall colour you can spend your time finding furnishings for your space and in the mean time you can enjoy your hi-fi.

But a lot will depend on what mood you are going for. For my living room I wanted blue walls with big white trim and it works really well. But if you aren't a fan of blue it would not work very well. :)

Definitely paint before you set anything up though. I need to repaint my living room (where the hi-fi is) and the one thing holding me back is having to move everything out of the room in order to paint. A giant pain in the rear end.

mcenters likes this.
  10. mcenters

I was thinking of a dark grey/blue but I think it will make the room look small. White is not a bad idea.

11. mcenters

We are painting before moving in the big stuff to avoid this.

eddiel likes this.
  12. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

The darker colour might make the room look smaller. A lot depends on the lighting, natural or otherwise. I remember when I settled on the basic theme of blue and white and then set about finding the right blue and then the right shade of that blue. lol. I think this is why a lot of people just paint everything white as it's so much easier.

Watch out for white in places with little lighting though as, for me, it doesn't look too good. I think white looks best when there's a lot of light. But that's just my taste. Usually in places with bad light the white looks dull, dirty and grey (not a good grey).

13. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Mine is painted a colour my wife likes:cheers:

14. Vern

Vern Forum Resident

Paint It Black.

Gavinyl, Aftermath, DaleH and 4 others like this.
  15. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

Kind of a burgundy brownish red. Looks like a recording studio or a high end audio showroom.

16. The smaller your room, the lighter you should keep the colour. What size is the room btw?

B_big! likes this.
  17. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Beige. I just like beige because it's not as stark as white and I find it a calming, non-visually-disturbing color.

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  18. mcenters

I don't have the dimensions on hand, but found this photo. You can't see the back end of the room:
    [​IMG]

19. That appears to be a decent sized room. Given the carpet color, a few shades darker than beige could be a nice option.

mcenters likes this.
  20. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Yeah, that's what I'd do- make the carpet a little darker than the light walls.

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  21. The Entertainer

The Entertainer Forum Resident

Right now mine is wood and concrete with the concrete painted a tealish color and sporting a large mural on the back wall. I'm going to paint it a burnt orange once I get the Sheetrock in though.

22. MONOLOVER

MONOLOVER Forum Resident

Got off white wall paper with embossed flowers, a leftover from the former owner. Doesn't matter...I always listen with my eyes closed :)

23. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

A lighter grey/blue you may want to consider is the Sherwin Williams color called "Passive." I just painted my daughter's room with it and it is a relaxing color. The hint of blue keeps the grey from becoming too much like battleship grey.

mcenters likes this.
  24. mcenters

Wow dude. I had already bought a sample of the Sherwin Williams "steely grey" but I believe it may be too dark. https://www.sherwin-williams.com/ho...y/SW7664-steely-gray/#/7664/?s=products&p=PS0

25. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I like the colour myself but it's hard to tell on a monitor. Colours always look different between the monitor, swatch and real versions! A good option is to buy a sample of the paint and paint some of the wall. That'll give you a better idea of what it might look like in your room.

It might be too dark but if you have enough light and white trim to offset the colour it could work.

You could always use that colour as an accent on one wall and go with a lighter version for the rest of the walls.

You can also get a different effect if you go with flat rather than eggshell/stain finish paint.

KeninDC and mcenters like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.