Weird Question about your listening room (paint color) *

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by mcenters, Aug 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. B_big!

B_big! Vinyl Record Enthusiast

( ( ( ( ( ((((((( .[​IMG]

My 'man cave' is fairly small, about 9,5 m² (107.6391ft²) and full of records and stuff. The rest of the walls are off-white and so is the ceiling. The decoration consists of framed record covers and a few photographs.

. [​IMG]

. [​IMG]

2. I like Sherman Willians "Lemongrass". It has a bit of "life" to it, but is soothing at the same time. Also, this color looks different in varying sunlight such as early morning and evening sun. Doesn't get boring. Every persons taste is different, but you may really like it also.

3. MonkeyLizard

MonkeyLizard Forum Resident

Wood!

Just kidding.

mcenters likes this.
  4. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

If you paint two of the walls in very dark grey or blue (the walls with no windows), and the other two and the ceiling in white or some other very light color, the room would look actually bigger, because the dark walls will visually disappear.

utahusker likes this.
  5. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Paint, schmaint.

Decorate with speakers!

[​IMG]

qwerty, Robert C, mcenters and 3 others like this.
  6. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

How about one of these Farrow & Ball options?:

[​IMG]

royzak2000, Dino and gd0 like this.
  7. RDriftwood

RDriftwood Vintage Member

I like a combination of very light gray with beige/light tan – which might work for you if you plan to keep the carpet. I’ve built two music studios in the two homes that I’ve owned. When I finished the music room in the first house, I made the mistake of painting the room beige – about the color that your room is now. By the time I was done panting it beige, I knew I didn’t like it at all. The beige was reflecting up onto the bright white ceiling and made the ceiling look yellowed and dingy. After painting the room the first time, I immediately started painting the room a very light gray. The light gray worked for me. The ceiling immediately looked bright white again against the light gray. Then I added beige accent pieces. When I built the music room in the house I’m in now, I went with the same light gray and beige theme. No regrets. My music room has gray carpet (front) and gray hard floors (back) – unlike your carpet – but maybe these pics of my room will give you an idea how the light gray with beige/light tan combination might work for you.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. audioguy3107

audioguy3107 Forum Resident

I went with a pretty dark color combination....I used a dark rust/tan plaster paint by Behr.......the kind you have to use a trowel to apply. This adds a bit of depth/texture to the walls. The color turned out great, the texture isn't the best since I had no idea what I was doing. It looks fine, I just applied too much so you don't see as much texture as I would've liked. All the trim in the room is stain grade with a combination of Minwax ebony and their reddish color, I forget what the name of it is....I think it's Jacobean. I have a beige wool rug from Pottery Barn in the room for some contrast.......the tray ceiling is painted a light tan color. All in all it turned out exactly the way I wanted although my wife thinks it's pretty dark. For a listening room/library, I didn't want a very bright room though. Mostly use it at night.

- Buck

9. audioguy3107

audioguy3107 Forum Resident

Here's a pic of a corner trap in the room, you can get an idea of the color combo here. You can see the plaster paint turned out more like a suede texture.

[​IMG]

10. levi

levi Can't Stand Up For Falling Down In Memoriam

I went with Sherwin Williams Torchlight when I painted a couple of months ago. It's warm, cozy and comfortable.

[​IMG]

lightbulb and stephencorkery like this.
  11. stephencorkery

stephencorkery Forum Resident

I painted mine in Downpipe by Farrow & Ball. It's a dark grey but can look slightly green in my room. It's really peaceful, am very happy with it. Am usually only in the room at night, plus it's north-facing so have embraced the darkness...

[​IMG]

Kristofa, timind and levi like this.
  12. timind

timind phorum rezident

My daughter chose this color and she painted the room, with my help. Lots of compliments on the color.
    [​IMG]

13. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Mine is kind if a greenish gray....but if I was moving into a new place I would go gray.
    Doesn't have to be dark gray...but gray would be cool.

14. jon9091

That's a nice color.

15. jon9091

16. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

I went with a bluish-gray. This is the best pic I can find of the paint (disregard the speaker)

[​IMG]

I like it a lot, but would need to ask my wife the color. It's a Valspar signature paint. We've used all kinds of paint and from top to bottom it's Valspar then Sherwin Williams with everything else in between.

mcenters and jon9091 like this.
  17. vinylsolution

vinylsolution Forum Resident

Be sure not to texture the drywall, you'll get surface noise....
    :hide:

jimbutsu likes this.
  18. Beet

Beet Forum Resident

Paint it, Black

toddrhodes likes this.
  19. G E

G E Senior Member

Mine is called Raw Cotton, a very light somewhat cool temperature yellow. My room has no windows and is smallish at 13x15 x10 and wanted to make it feel larger so painted it and the rest of the newly finished basement this color. My wife is a fine arts artist and when she saw what I had done gave me very high marks. Later we painted most of the rest of the house Champagne Tickle. I'm not kidding. It's a slightly warmer but still very clean and light and happy yellow.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
  20. Seafinch

Seafinch Preferred Patron

+1

21. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
    Robert C, Tim 2, timind and 2 others like this.
  22. Captain Wiggette

Captain Wiggette Forum Resident

Mine doubles as a theater, so the entire front 1/3 of the room is black. I actually like dark front walls in a listening room, because I usually listen with the lights dimmed or off, and it helps not see anything in front of you: better soundstage illusion.

The correct answer should be: the color of your acoustical treatments.

23. TomM

TomM Forum Resident

My Girlfriend is a high end interior designer, so no typical audiophile listening room for me. The wall color is the darkest carbon black she could find and the ceiling color is a metallic lavender. I know it sounds crazy, but every "out there" choice my Girlfriend has recommended in our listening room has enhanced my experience of enjoying music.

timind and toddrhodes like this.
  24. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

Keeper! Keeper!

25. stephencorkery

stephencorkery Forum Resident

Thanks. It's hard to capture it properly in a phone pic, and with the light on. It's a bit darker than it looks there. Would highly recommend Farrow & Ball paint.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.