Weird TV music moments

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave D, Jul 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

How about Frank Sinatra getting cut off during his Grammy tribute speech.
    And:
    Keith Moon stripping on British TV (also in The Kids Are Alright movie)
    Marvin Gaye rambling a bit on the Motown 25th anniversary special.
    Chad and Jeremy on Batman and, I think, the Dick Van Dyke Show.
    The Beach Boys, with Brian, on Full House.
    Brian solo on SNL — never saw it, but heard it was uncomfortable, to say the least.
    Worst musical moment?
    The Brady Bunch Hour!!!!!!!! (Remember, the Brady Bunch recorded in the early 1970s)
    :hurl:
    Frank Zappa on the Monkees.

2. reechie

reechie Senior Member

He was in their film Head as well.

3. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

Another one:
    The Sex Pistols being provoked to swear on a British program. The host was fired. These days, swearing is standard on MTV Awards shows. Side issue-When the MTV Awards are rebroadcast in Canada, MuchMusic censors the broadcast but its French counterpart, MusiquePlus (same company), does not.

4. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Keith Moon hosting ABC In Concert with LIVE GOLDFISH in the heels of his shoes!

5. Billy Crystal later said he suggested to Whoopi Goldberg when she was going to host the Oscars the following month or so, that she should have opened the show by bringing Frank Sinatra on with her, to finish his speech. :laugh:

The Beach Boys without Brian were also on an episode of that Tim Allen show Home Improvement. Carl Wilson, Mike Love, Alan Jardine, his son Matt Jardine and Bruce Johnston, IIRC appeared in an episode. Something to do with Allen's neighbour Wilson being a second cousin to Carl, Brian, and Mike or something. Then at the end of the show The Beach Boys and Patricia Richardson performed a god awful version of Barbara Ann or something. It was 'orrible. :laugh:

Frank Zappa was in the the Monkees movie "Head". He plays "The Critic". He comes on just after "Daddy's Song" plays. He has a scene with Davy Jones and is accompanied by a cow for some reason. Here is the dialog from the scene.

Frank: That song was pretty white.
    Davy: Yeah, well, so am I, what can I tell ya.
    Frank: You've been working on your dancing though.
    Davy: Oh, yeah...glad you noticed it.
    Frank: It doesn't leave much time for your music. You should spend more
    time on it because the youth of America depends on you to show the way.
    Davy: Yeah?
    Frank: Yeah.

Attached Files:

6. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Actually, miike he was in both the TV show and the movie.

I recalled that FZ was on a episode where Mike Nesmith and FZ demolished a car, so I did a search and came up with this:

Zappa on the Monkees episode 57

Tim Buckley also appeared in an episode.

How about the Standells appearance on The Munsters?

7. For those keeping score, I managed to find an episode guide for Home Improvement. The Beach Boys sans Brian appeared in epsiode 140 "The Karate Kid Returns" from Season 6, 1996/97. The episode was broadcast on January 14, 1997. Another page I found says that Little Deuce Coupe and Surfer Girl were also performed in the epsiode besides Barbara Ann.

8. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

The Three Degrees on Sanford & Son.

9. :o :eek: : Thanks. Thought I'd seen all the Monkees episodes about 50 times each. Guess I missed that one. Being a mid-level Zappa fan, I'm surprised I didn't know about the episode. :confused: :laugh:

10. RDK

RDK Active Member

Do any of the tapes from some of those Bandstand shows still exist? The ones with the Doors, Pink Floyd, Prince, etc.? Christ, Dick could make a killing packaging some of those on DVD

11. reechie

reechie Senior Member

All that stuff apparently still exists, but being in the position he's in, Clark doesn't need the money, and he's notorious about hoarding his footage.

I guess he's waiting for "the right" killing. :D

12. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

Actually, Dick's got a fair amount of shows from the 50's - 60's, but most of them are kinescopes, as it wasn't common practice to archive network-produced shows on tape in those days.

The filmed format of kinescopes is (unfortunately) perceived in the industry as a limiting factor in the appeal of the footage, so consequently, a lot of it just sits in the vaults.

-Kevin

13. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

I saw some clips of American Bandstand on VH-1that were obviously from 1969-70, but were in black and white !!! These may also have been kinescopes, because the picture was not great. Perhaps it's a situation similar to the Hullabaloo DVDs, most of the master videos (in color) are gone, leaving inferior kinescopes.

14. Dave D

Dave D Done! Thread Starter

Just remembered another one.....Pablo Cruise on the Merv Griffin Show...and Merv sat in with them on a number, playing electric piano.....I was so embarrassed for them! He looked like a total geek!

15. quadanasazilands

quadanasazilands New Member

Jeeezzz! Larry I had forgotten that, MAN that was timeless! In Concert was great, one of my fav performances was Todd Rungrun, solo just him, his piano or guitar depending on the song and a (I think) Teac 3340 RTR. Man I would love to have a tape of that. For that matter I would love to see all the Midnite Special and In Concert stuff again!

16. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

VH1 used to air them back in the late 90's but I haven't seen them since. It's probably a licensing nightmare to put that stuff out on DVD. There's some great stuff on those shows though. Kiss' best TV performance came from In Concert back in 1974.

17. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

Bringing up those great late-night TV concert shows of the 1970s reminds me of a weird TV music moment from Don Kirshner's Rock Concert. In 1974, Billy Joel appeared on the program, very early in his solo career, and he performed "Captain Jack." Well, there's a word in the lyrics that you couldn't say on television in 1974, so his recorded-live performance featured the couplet:

"Your sister's gone out, she's on a date
    You just sit at home and la-la-la"

18. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Mr. Terr, the Mats are SUPPOSED to be sloppy. That's the whole point :D

Chris

19. Chris M

Actually, Jimi's amp died on the Carson show. Not the Dick Cavett shows. No video of the Jimi Tonight show has ever turned up :(

Chris

20. Chris M

The quality of my PF Bandstand clip is fair quality. Seeing Dick Clark interview Syd Barrett is completely surreal. Another very cool Bandstand performance is the '66 Love appearance.

Chris

21. reechie

reechie Senior Member

That's because the first ten years worth of videotape of Carson's Tonight Show was burned by NBC to make room in their storeage warehouse.
    :rolleyes: :realmad: :(

22. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Another brilliant move by the accountants.

23. Chris M

Did they have any VCR type machines back then? Is it possible someone taped the broadcast at home or was that just not possible in the late 60's? (I'm not talking about pointing a Super 8MM at the TV screen like the poor quality silent film of the Paul and John '68 Tonight Show appearance)

Chris

24. Beatle Terr

Beatle Terr Super Senior SH Forum Member Musician & Guitarist

Yeah I was really enlighted after that performance :rolleyes:

25. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Carson Productions apparently did a massive search a few years ago, hoping for just such a thing. Unfortunately, they didn't come up with very much, if anything, and they consider those tapes completely lost.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.