Welcome all new members to the Steve Hoffman Music Forums! Please read this first.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Aug 24, 2015.

1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Audiophile Music Mastering Your Host Thread Starter

Hello and welcome, I'm glad to see you here, thanks for joining. We have been here since 2002, commercial free, over 51,000 members. This is primarily an audiophile music forum, which means we like to talk about the sound quality of our favorite music and how we can find the best sounding version of what we love to listen to.

Lurkers, what are you waiting for? Register and participate!

When you register, please fill out your profile as completely as you can so we can get to know you. We figure if you fill your profile out, you are serious about participating here with us and want to stick around for a while. When it asks you for "location" don't put "here, there and everywhere" or "USA" or "Earth". Put your hometown, please. If you are going to discuss music sound quality, etc. please fill out your gear profile as well so we can get a faint idea of where you're coming from, much appreciated.

It would be nice if you could put your real name (first is fine) in your signature line.

Post often, but always respect other Forum members opinions even if they clash with your own. Try and win them over to your side if you wish, but in a friendly way!

Don't be afraid to ask questions about music or equipment. No question is too dumb; it's how we learn. I think you will find our members are bright, passionate, articulate and intense about what they love (as they should be).

Our Moderation team -- Origin of the GORTS:
    Most of you have seen the old Sci-Fi movie "The Day The Earth Stood Still", right? gort.jpg

Remember Gort? He's the big metal guy that protects our space man Klaatu from harm. But Gort also has power over Klaatu, to keep him and his fellow space folk living in a peaceful and non-warlike society....

Well, here at my Forum, I want you to feel comfortable in posting about what is important to YOU without fear of being slammed. I have given power to my moderators whom I have nicknamed the GORTS and they watch over the various Forums day and night. I've given them power here to do what they think should be done and they will do whatever is needed. I trust their judgment and I'm very grateful for their help and support.

Our famous Music Forum:

Our MUSIC FORUM is the place to talk about music of any kind, jazz, country, classical, folk, world, oldies, rock, R&B, soul, pop, rap, etc., also the various types of music software (Compact Discs, Vinyl LP's, Edison Cylinders, SACD's, DVD-A's, Shellac 78's, 45's, Open reel, wire recordings etc.)

This vast mix of music and software in one place is intentional; this is how I want it, without segregation of musical type, style, or software.

Our other Forums:

Audio playback gear has a separate AUDIO HARDWARE Forum, as does VISUAL ARTS (movies, TV, architecture, paintings, photography, etc.) There is an OFF-TOPIC section as well as the CLASSIFIED section where Forum members can buy, sell or trade. No CD-R or bootleg trading, please.

Use our search engines to find topics that we might have covered before; there is a wealth of information here at your fingertips.

Please do not thread-crap at our Forums. In other words, don't find a "Why I Love The Beatles" thread and post that you "hate the Beatles!" just to stir up trouble. This is thread crapping and will be erased. You ARE allowed to dislike the Beatles or any other band or artist, it's a free Forum. You have to start a new thread instead (if you must). Please try and resist starting threads that pit songs against each other or albums or artists... If you want to talk about a song, an album, an artist, start a thread or find an older one.

Please, no political or religious discussions here. We tried that for a while and it did nothing but turn Forum Friends against each other in no time. As Linus in Peanuts once said: "There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people: religion, politics and the Great Pumpkin."

When you have an extra minute, please read the revised FORUM RULES here:

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/forum-policies.303291/

They are not hard to follow and are necessary for everyone's benefit. If you have a thorough knowledge of procedures it will make things easier.

So, new Forum Friends: Enjoy your stay here, post long and come back often. I want you to have fun.

And lurkers, don't hesitate to post. No reason to be shy; most of us don't bite.. :)

If you feel that you need to contact a Gort (moderator) for any reason, push the "CONTACT US" button at the bottom of each page. If you need to "report a post", use the "Report this post to a Gort" button at the left of each post”. Please note that the "Report this post to a Gort" notification is always confidential.

Tell your friends about us and have fun here!

Sincerely yours,
    Steve Hoffman (your host)

2. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

Well, at least I know why they're called "gorts" and didn't have to ask....:)

3. jjh1959

jjh1959 Forum Resident

4. JamesD1957

JamesD1957 Forum Resident

Yeah, didn't know what the "gort" reference was until now. Now I'll have to see the movie!

Milan, JulesRules and AppleCorp3 like this.
  5. Agent of Fortune

Agent of Fortune Däncing Barefoot

Make sure it's the original 1951 version - the remake is inexcusably awful.

[​IMG]

6. kingrommel

kingrommel Forum Resident

Off Topic slightly but i noticed this... :D

[​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Agent of Fortune

Eh. :winkgrin:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Agent of Fortune

You know what we need? A Gort smiley! The closest we seem to currently have is this: :targettiphat: (and that's not very close.)

9. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

And like many remasters, it's brickwalled!

10. Agent of Fortune

It's not just remastered...it's re-mixed & re-recorded! :yikes: :faint:

;)

11. Melllvar

Melllvar Well-Known Member

12. Mr.Sean

Mr.Sean Forum Resident

...and here I thought `Gort`was a belching sound. I still learn something new everyday.

WhoseLineFan and Rhett like this.
  13. Ash76

Ash76 Forum Resident

Doesn't the Steve Hoffman forum require a Beatles reference on the first page of each thread?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. ZEP77

ZEP77 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the informative post! Now I know what Gorts are and where from.

I had to chuckle a little that there was no mention of Hendrix pictures.

[​IMG]

15. berger

berger New Member

Hi all!
    My first post :edthumbs:

MTE, Ellis943, J. Umbari and 5 others like this.
  16. JamesD1957

JamesD1957 Forum Resident

Just saw the movie, and yes, it was the 1951 version. Great special effects for 1951. I enjoyed the show and have a new found respect for the gorts!

Agent of Fortune likes this.
  17. Agent of Fortune

Welcome to the forums! (And, as they say over at Head-Fi.org, sorry about your wallet.) :wave:

stodgers and berger like this.
  18. Sean Le Rats

Sean Le Rats New Member

thank ye kindly for your Hospitality Brother....nice pad u got here

Former Scientist and berger like this.
  19. classicanders

classicanders Active Member

Cool, thanks for having me. I think I have filled out all the details correctly!

20. samurai

samurai Forum Resident

The holes are for air conditioning.

21. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Forum Resident

I've been here a month, and I really like it here. I've made a few friends, and hope I'm here for the long haul. Nice to know I'm not the only one who cares about HOW music sounds and Super Deluxe Editions!

22. DusanZivanovic

DusanZivanovic New Member

Hello everyone!

zebop likes this.
  23. ngc4900

ngc4900 New Member

Hello everyone
    I am new to the forum. I am tying to send a PM to BSC to ask a quesion about his Esoteric X-03SE. But when i click on his icon, or anyone else, I get this message: Can anyone let me know what I am doing wrong? Thanks
    Joe

ngc4900, thank you for joining the forum! To help you get started, a few tips:

• Click any forum area below to read our public discussions.
    • To start a new public topic in the forum area you have chosen, click the "New Thread" button in the upper right corner of the window.
    • To reply to a topic, scroll to the bottom of the thread and use the reply form.
    • To start a new private conversation with another member, click or hover over the Inbox link in the navigation bar. Or, choose "Start a Conversation" from their member card (accessed by clicking on their avatar or username).
    • To customize your profile and preferences, click your username in the navigation bar.
    • And finally, take a moment to read over our forum policies.
    Please note that when posting as a new member, your initial posts go into our moderation queue, where a moderator needs to manually approve the posts before they display publicly. We have done this to help eliminate spam and trolling on the forum.

To remove this and other notices, click the small "X" which appears when you hover over this notice. Thank you for visiting!

24. Agent of Fortune

@ngc4900, you just need to do a few more posts. Looks like you have 2 so far. Although that's enough to set an avatar, you need something like 5 or 10 to send a PM. This procedure is (as said in that message) done to prevent spam & deter trolls.
    Surely there must be something you'd like to post about! :)

25. redshift1

redshift1 Member

Greetings from the OC. Started collecting in the 60's with Fisher, Dual and JBL. Now I have Marantz, Denon and OPPO.

Current interests include vintage stereo, digital music, portable music and buying selling equipment although I just started and am finding my way
    through the ebay maze.

May be some UPS people here I worked there a long long time.