Well, I guess the world of headphones has now finally gone out of my reach...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by schugh, Oct 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. schugh

schugh Forum Resident Thread Starter

There was a time for a long time when I could afford to have a flagship product from most of the major vendors. Currently I have the HD800, the LCD-3s, PS1000, Shure SE846 (and a few others).
    And it's fun to have more than one to listen to, as each is different.

Now with the new LCD-4 at almost $5K here in Canada and I just found out about the new Shure Electorstatic in-ears at $3K USD. Sennheiser can't be far behind to get a new one in and get a piece of the pie.

Not that I'm complaining mind you. But at these prices that keep going higher and higher, I'm out of this game.
    Which is not entirely a bad thing. Just need to chill and enjoy what I have and spend the money saved on more records. :)

Not sure why I'm posting this. Am I trying to make myself feel better (or my bruised ego)? :)

-- Sanjay

bru87tr, timind and Rolltide like this.
  2. timind

timind phorum rezident

The question is, are they really better, or just a different flavor?
    I topped out with Sennheiser HD650s. I owned the 580, 600 and then 650. Now I feel it was just a ride I took and didn't really a gain any listening enjoyment. I love the 650s but loved the other two also.
    After listening to the 800s I asked myself that question and couldn't give a definite yes. No more upgrades for me.

ben_wood and Paully like this.
  3. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Uh . . .
    My Stax Signatures + SRM-T1 amp went for $2000 25 years ago. The high end might be getting more out of reach, but frankly it was always pricy.

SandAndGlass, pinktree1 and Dave like this.
  4. Ken E.

Ken E. Senior Member

I'm still using my '94 vintage Grado SR-60s. My Radio Shack portable player - the one every pundit raved about - still runs but needs a headphone amp.
    They were never the SOTA but have provided thousands of hours of pleasure, so I guess I'm satisfied; though I know lots of people can't be satisfied and they just can't keep from upgrading.

SandAndGlass and betweentheears like this.
  5. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

My old Koss ESP 950 Electrostatics were over $1,000 MSRP decades ago.

6. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I'm now using a pair of Sony V-6's I picked up at a thrift store for $3.50. I have owned those Grado 60's. Much prefer the Sony's with the I-Pod in particular. More volume, sits on ears easier, more consistent bass, better isolation and fit.

SandAndGlass and sixtiesstereo like this.
  7. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

More headphones have been joining the $1000+ and $2000+ categories. And now the $4000+ club is getting more membership. Yikes! The prices are too high for me to buy just to try. The used market for most of these $2000+, $3000+ and $4000+ headphones isn't liquid enough that you can be confident that you could resell it easily if you didn't like it. Part of the reason is that many of these headphones are just not that good, even if they are expensive. Most are not good enough to hold their price if you try to sell used, and there just aren't that many people looking to buy used headphones at that price.

If you factor in inflation there have always been headphones in those price categories. It's just that now there are more. There are more headphones joining the higher price tiers, but I don't feel that all are deserving of being at those price tiers.

I've largely tapped out of the high-end headphone market and am waiting on the sidelines for something to come along that is actually better (better in what I'm looking for in headphone sound). Part of the reason is that I get very picky about the sound being exactly right for me when prices get above $1000 for a headphone. It's really got to be very much what I'm after if I'm going to spend that much. At $2000+ it had better be exactly right for what I'm after. And I haven't found that yet. For now I'm not willing to churn through $1000+ and $2000+ headphones in a futile attempt to find one that works for me. Maybe in a few years someone will come up with a $2000 headphone that I'm willing to buy. So I'm sitting here waiting for the high-end headphone market to deliver a dynamic headphone that delivers what I want.

Fortunately the DAC market and headphone amp market has some quality new toys to keep me occupied while I wait for a headphone at a quality to match.

Dino and ben_wood like this.
  8. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

The new Stax '009 / Lambda' hybrid is only $1400. The Mr. Speakers Ether C is getting RAVE reviews at $1500.

9. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

I get that a lot of people are into headphones, but at those prices you could get a good pair of speakers and have a soundstage. I know there are times and situations when 'phones are the only option, so that may not be for everyone.

timind, Bolero and SandAndGlass like this.
  10. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I thought the HD800 was going to wind up the be-all, end-all of headphones at their original price. Guess I was wrong!

11. xantus

xantus Active Member

and then spend more money taking your room out of the equation so you only hear the room in the recording..
    with headphones I can play whatever I want whenever I want and whatever volume I want. less power consumption too..
    everything's a trade..

12. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

To me, the idea with owning headphones is to see if your speakers are up to snuff. As Brian discovered, his uber stereo sounds like headphones outside of his head.

So does mine...

There are reasons to use headphones, but having a superior stereo system with speakers that has a sound quality as good as headphones is definitely rewarding.

In every aspect of life, not just in the audiophile world, there is always something better, something more expensive.

Chasing technology makes no sense, because you will never catch it. By the time a technology related product hits the market, it is already obsolete, duh.

As others have said, sit back and enjoy the music, listen with your ears and not with your wallet.

luckyno13 likes this.
  13. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

You forgot to add the cost of the mandatory electrostatic amp to drive it.

Ham Sandwich likes this.
  14. schugh

I am so utterly and completely and mind-blowingly hopeless.
    It seems I just cannot be saved.

A month after starting this thread and moping about I went and put down a deposit and placed an order for the LCD4.

Is it any wonder at the age of 52 I am often reminded to grow up. If I make it past 70 maybe sensibility and maturity will finally set in.

Now if only someone will buy my LCD3F.

-- Sanjay

15. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

I had two headphone impulse buys this week. The week of Black Friday is a dangerous time to have a headphone itch. Impulsive buys, but not nearly as damaging to the wallet as an LCD4.

Have fun with this. You only live once, and are young enough to enjoy the subtle sound quality aspects of this hobby for a limited time.

16. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

One word of advice: NEVER!!!

17. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

I experienced basically the same thing. And I still have this nagging doubt my 580's were the best of the three. But then I say that maybe the 580's were just my first audiophile experience and the pleasure of that time stayed with me. And also maybe my hearing was a lot better 20 years ago :D

timind likes this.
  18. Colgin

Colgin Forum Resident

Out of curiosity did you get to actually demo the LCD-4 before making your deposit? At such price points I think the following two things should be true - 1) the sound is really what you are looking for and 2) financially, you one can afford to be price insensitive - with the second being more important than the first IMHO. Anyway, enjoy your new cans when they come. Please write up your impressions/a review when able.

19. schugh

I wish I could have demoed them. But there is only one dealer and he didn't want to bring one in for people to demo. Doesn't make sense to me since they have other mega priced gear.
    Also I don't know why audeze doesn't give one to their dealers just for demo.
    Financially it's not a burden. I just was unable to justify them when i created this thread. As always I found a way to justify them. It's a common theme with me. :rolleyes:
    I am silly and 20 years ago I used to spend money I didn't have. But that's one thing I don't do anymore.

20. Hipper

Hipper Forum Resident

I compare my headphones to my speaker set up and have found since I got the HD800s it's been a real challenge for the speakers. I find percussion detail is particularly lacking, but with better isolation and a good power supply I thought I more or less got there with the speakers.

Now I've changed my headphone amp and my speaker sound can't compete. I'm using a Headamp GS-X Mk2 and this has given more detail and more separation. Very nice indeed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.