Well-Known 90s vinyl that goes for a fortune (for example, Love and Theft)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ccn103, Mar 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bcbassboy

bcbassboy Forum Resident

Concrete Blonde...another one who got hit by the CD boom...pretty hard to find copies of Walking In London and Mexican Moon.

2. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I have two copies of Full Moon Fever. One I bought for $1 and the other $8. I don't think it's that rare. I missed the chance to buy Wildflowers when it was still selling for about 15 bucks just about half a year back. Into the Great Wide Open goes for a lot I know.

3. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

If you've never heard it I uploaded a rip to YouTube a while back. Crummy sounding vinyl though.

4. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

It might be one of the bootlegs that you picked up. This is widely bootlegged these days.

5. surfingelectrode

surfingelectrode Active Member

Found it, thanks. Their cover of the Moles' "What's the New Mary Jane?", which was on a later Soil Samples 7", is a lot better. That 7" was backed with a live cover of "What a Wonderful World", with Nick Cave.

Ronald Jones' guitar part on the Moles cover is especially crazy. Amazing guitarist.

6. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

Pleased to say I have this - it's a two disc set with the music spread over three sides...the fourth 'side' is an etched picture of the band...

7. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

...and I've got this, too :righton:

8. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Great album as well.

9. Toka

Toka Active Member

I guess I really lucked out when I worked for a major dotcom music site back in the late '90's...returned vinyl (usually an accidental purchase) couldn't go back to the distributor (sealed or not), so they just went into a storage room. Nobody wanted them. I bought the following for 50 cents each, all sealed:

Tool - every album released up to that point

Pearl Jam - Binaural and one or two others (I think I sold some of these a few years later when I was strapped for cash...got decent money from what I can recall)

Alice In Chains - S/T

Metallica - S&M and maybe Load...not sure I still have those

Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream (got several copies, gave a few away to friends...no Mellon Collie, alas)

Muse - Showbiz (clear vinyl I think? I got several copies of this as well, for free...nobody wanted them. Gave a bunch away to friends.)

And a few other odds and ends...No Doubt maybe? Hard to recall. Looking at the prices some of these are getting I wish I kept them all! But I have more than enough vinyl to play with so its ok.

10. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

I was in college from 1991-95. On a campus with about 1200 students, I was one of three people with a turntable that I knew of. It made for a great conversation piece with my friends, some of whom had never bought a record.* This was in a very small town with only two stores where you could buy CDs: Wal-Mart and the local music store, which had a CD rack in back. The latter had a tiny selection of vinyl, but you could special order it there. My parents lived in a somewhat larger town with one great used record shop and one CD store that also had a decent (for the mid-90s) selection of vinyl. I bought quite a few of the titles mentioned in this thread at that store.

*One such friend coined my screen name one night, while she was calling to me from across a crowded dorm lounge while a bit drunk.

11. dunhillrecords

dunhillrecords Member

Pearl Jam - Ten: I've seen sealed original copies sell in the $100.00 range. That's big money to me!

12. groovelocked

groovelocked Forum Resident

a friend gave me a beautiful copy of this on clear splatter vinyl in a clear pvc sleeve just tonight. I only see it on ebay on blue vinyl in a regular jacket.

I'd like to see so many pressed again (or for first time) as well.

So many amazing albums in the 90's.

Seal- all
    M. Etheridge- Your Little Secret especially
    Chris Isaak- all
    Mellencamp
    +Live+
    Cake

13. tinymontgomery

tinymontgomery Forum Resident

One disadvantage (or not, depending on your point of view) of "Full Moon Fever" on vinyl is that you lose the "Hello CD listeners..." skit halfway through. The friend who swapped my CD for a new LP he found for cheap thought I was mad to upgrade for this reason.

14. Stranjluv101

Stranjluv101 New Member

The only '90's Metallica that goes for big bucks (or at least they did, before the recent reissues) was Load and Reload. S&M and Garage Inc. are/were still available just about anywhere new for around $15-20. I got both from bestbuy.com within the last year. Haven't checked lately, but I can't see either flying off the inventory lists any time soon.

the CRANBERRIES- first 4 releases go for big bucks, with the 4th, Bury The Hatchet, selling for $100+ when you can find a copy. I don't think their 5th studio or greatest hits were ever issue on wax.

The CURE-Mixed Up, Wish, Paris, Show, Wild Mood swings and Galore. I just sold sealed copies of WMS ($60) and Galore ($76). I paid in the $90 range for Show and Paris, and $40 for Wish.

KISS Revenge & Alive III both fetch $40+ each. I've seen sealed copies of both go over $60. You Wanted The Best... and Kiss My *** command less, normally in the $25 range.

Morrissey - someone mentioned Vauxhall, and I'd like to add Southpaw Grammar, Maladjusted, and the rare My Early Burglary Years.

Rush - Roll The Bones and Counterparts ( I agree with the person who stated this! I'd love to have both)

David Bowie Sound & Vision 6 LP set.

Alice In Chains - Facelift

15. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

I have a NM copy of Pink Floyd's The Divsion Bell (UK pressing, black vinyl). Is that rare? I bump into coloured vinyls sometimes, or Columbia copies, but I've never seen an EMI UK black vinyl version again.

16. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I think there are certain posts on this thread which highlight the fact that just because something fetches a lot of money on ebay doesn't mean it is worth that. Some of the stuff mentioned I have seen in local second hand shops very cheap.

17. surfingelectrode

surfingelectrode Active Member

Like?

18. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

Similarly, while I've seen some of these items with very high prices on eBay, I wonder how often do they actually sell at those prices. I've bought at least two albums for less than $50 each that I've seen listed for up to $500 at other times (but not actually selling at those prices).

19. Great scoop there! :righton:

I've been looking out for that title, locally in shops, for a while now after I sold my only copy at a record convention years back thinking I could just reorder another.

By the time I got around to it a few months later, it was already OOP.

20. Mughulla

Mughulla Active Member

You need the Sub Pop Single as well. Just helping you spend money...:winkgrin:

21. Pibroch

Pibroch Active Member

Apparently Aerosmith's "Nine Lives" is quite rare on vinyl and copies on eBay fetch $100+ -- I've never seen one in the flesh. I did see "Get a Grip" for $30 though, and I almost bought it. I collect Aerosmith on vinyl.

22. fab

fab New Member

The Downward Spiral-Nine Inch Nails (Initially released in the US only as a promo 2LP set in a gatefold sleeve. Beautifully packaged with custom labels and inner sleeves. Probably limited to only a few thousand copies. Sells for big money these days in spite of the vinyl reissues that have been released in the last few years. )

i remember my music marketing instructor bringing in his friend who gave us this as a prize. i hope the girl in my class who won still has it.

Pisces Iscariot-Smashing Pumpkins (Released as a limited edition LP by Virgin Records independent arm Caroline Records. Pressed on clear gold colored vinyl. The first 2,000 copies came with a 7" with extra tracks. Those copies of the album were hand numbered on the back of the jacket.)

i got this too. i cant check right now, but i think in the 1600 mark.

I've been wondering if some of my collection has gain some sort of value, other than seeing what ebay has. i've been collecting the early 90's maybe late 80's.
    i know some of these are out of print, but wanted to ask if how these are in the "very rare find" category?

sebadoh - bubble and scrape (sub pop yellow label), III ( trading co rec?), the sebadoh (late 90's "last" album)
    NIN - Fragile
    Oasis - Whats the story... (Creation rec)
    Primus - Frizle Fry, Suck on this, Brown album, Tales from the punchbowl
    Soundgarden - Superunknown (clear vinyl), jesus christ pose (etching on side b 12"), pretty noose 7" UK red vinyl
    Screaming Trees - Even if and especially when, buzz factory, invisible lantern, anthology (all SST rec),
    MarkLanegan solo - winding sheet, whiskey..., scraps at midnight,
    Pearl jam - vs, vitology (released a week b4 tapes and cds)
    nirvana - unplugged (white vinyl) released a week b4 the tapes and cds
    Alice in chains - jar of flies with Sap 2-12" with etch on side 4, ST
    Tori AMos - boys for Pele
    Outkast - Aquemini
    Wu Tang - Enter the 36 chambers (very flimsy vinyl)
    Portishead - live in nyc
    Eric Matthews - its getting heavy in here (?)

23. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

These still have yet to reissued on vinyl. Most have never been released on vinyl at all.
    Dave Matthews Band-Crash
    Dave Matthews Band-Before These Crowded Streets
    The Gin Blossoms-New Miserable Experience
    Blind Melon-Soup
    Oysterhead-The Grand Pecking Order (2001)
    U2-Atchung Baby
    U2-Zooropa

24. aseriesofsneaks

aseriesofsneaks Forum Resident

I wasn't aware Resigned had been issued on vinyl and am now determined to find a copy. That is a seriously great and under appreciated album.

25. aseriesofsneaks

aseriesofsneaks Forum Resident

Hole's Live Through This and Veruca Salt's Eight Arms to Hold You both go for big bucks these days. There was a recent counterfeit pressing of the former; hopefully Universal will realize there's a demand for it and reissue it. I'm also hoping for a reissue of that Veruca Salt album; if it happens, I hope it will be done as a 2-LP set. The album itself is over 50 minutes, but the original pressing also added a bonus track; that's a lot of music to squeeze onto a single LP.

Also, PJ Harvey's Dry, Rid of Me and Is This Desire? go for a lot of money. Universal should consider issuing a box set of all of her albums.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.