Well Known Players on Not So Well Known Albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rockclassics, Sep 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

Phil Collins appears on two albums by Cafe Jacques: "Round The Back" and
    "International". The song "Eberehtel" (Basically "Let There Be" backwards)
    is very Phil Collins in its overall sound. A beautiful mellow track on the "Round The
    Back" album.

2. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Did she give him VD?

3. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Jimi Hendrix played on Silver Apples' 3rd album which wasn't released until decades later due to the cover of Silver Apples' Contact album resulting in a lawsuit from Pan Am that bankrupted Kapp Records.

4. jmpatrick

jmpatrick Forum Resident

Ian Anderson - flute on "All Along You Knew" by Honeymoon Suite

5. Mike Campbell and possibly some of the other Heartbreakers (anonymously) on The Blue Stingrays - Surf-N-Burn

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
  6. The almost totally unknown, Eddie Howell - The Man From Manhattan, features backing vocals by Freddie Mercury and guitar by Brian May on the title track. You may have heard of them.

7. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Ian Anderson - Flute on "On Tuesday" Men Without Hats-Pop Goes The World
    Zak Starkey-Drum work on Lightning Seeds- Tilt
    Ray Manzarek-Keys -Bedbugs and Ballyhoo Echo & The Bunnymen

8. sirwallacerock

sirwallacerock The Gun Went Off In My Hand, Officer

Neil Young--Rusty Kershaw's amazing Now and Then

zakyfarms likes this.
  9. DaveinMA

DaveinMA Some guy

Are we limited only to albums?

This is supposed to be Keith Moon (Who) and Tony Kaye (Yes), and I've also heard it claimed that Chris Squire (Yes) was on it as well.

10. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

Which song? I have that album, don't recall hearing guitar on it. Are we talking 'The Garden' album?

11. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

The Pretenders original lead guitarist James Honeyman-Scott played on the Robert John Godfrey album Fall of Hyperion

12. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

A CCM music classic.

13. geo50000

geo50000 Forum Resident

Elyse Weinberg with Neil Young (recorded 1968, but not released until 2001):

14. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

Rita Coolidge's debut LP has CSNY all over the place, Booker T & the MGs, Leon Russell, Spooner Oldham, Clarence White, Bobby Womack and Ry Cooder. Despite my reservations of her as an AOR queen in the 70s, this was a delightfully soulful R&B affair.

15. Scooter59

Scooter59 Forum Resident

Donald Fagen plays keyboards on at least one track of the eponymous Eye to Eye album (produced by Gary Katz, with many Steely Dan session players guesting).

16. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

It may not have made the final cut. Reportedly, Jimi had played on it because the late Danny Taylor had played with him before. It may not have gone beyond the planning stage (and it may be just a rumor). I've heard The Garden, but I'm not sure how close it was to what was planned for the original unreleased (and possibly uncompleted) album.

17. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

Nonsense. David Kapp sold the company to MCA in 1967 which maintained the label for another 6 years.

18. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Not complete nonsense. It hit the label hard. That's why I got Contact in a cut-out bin before it was a year old.

19. Mentioned up-thread but not complete:

Robert Fripp plays on two Van der Graaf Generator albums and on Peter Hammill's first accredited solo LP

1970 - H to He Who Am The Only One
    1971 - Pawn Hearts
    1971 - Fool's Mate

Hammill returns the favour on Fripp's

1979 - Exposure

20. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

David Gilmour played on a few tracks of the band Unicorn, the band that wrote and originally recorded "There's No Way Out of Here" , which he covered on his first solo LP.

21. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

It's not an album, only a single, but very rare and strange collaboration: (Roger Taylor playing drums and synths on the Bulgarian singer Kamelia Todorova (Camy Todorow) single "Bursting At The Seams")

22. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I did not read through so I hope this is not a repost.

Nitin Sawhney
    London Underground album
    My Soul with Paul McCartney

Beautiful song.

23. Skoegahom

Skoegahom Forum Resident

Ambrosia was Chuck Girard's backup band for his stellar self-titled debut album. Here's a sample:

Mark B. likes this.
  24. rjp

rjp Senior Member

terence boylan - s/t:

The Players: Jim Gordon, Russell Kunkel, Jeff Porcaro, Leland Sklar, Chuck Rainey, David Jackson, Timothy B. Schmit, Donald Fagen, Victor Feldman, Mickey McGee, Dean Parks, John Klemmer, Gary Foster, Don Henley, Wilton Felder, David Paich, Bob Glaub, Don Evans, Steve Lukather, Al Kooper, Ben Benay, John Guerin, Max Bennett, Tom Kelly, Dodie Petit

terence boylan - suzy:

The Players: Jeff Baxter, Ben Benay, Larry Carlton, Chevy Chase, Don Felder, Victor Feldman, Gary Foster, Jim Gordon, Jay Graydon, Ed Greene, Paul Harris, John Holbrook, Don Henley, David Kemper, Russ Kunkel, Will McFarlane, Michael Omartian, Michael Porcaro, Emil Richards, Timothy Schmit, Dennis Whitted, Jai Windling

25. UglySickJoker

UglySickJoker Forum Resident

Bruce Springsteen on Mike Ness' 'Cheating At Solitaire'-album (1999).
    Brian Setzer too.

500Homeruns likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.