¿Well Mastered Paul Simon Greatest Hits CD?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bertly, Jun 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bertly

Bertly Senior Member Thread Starter

Are there any good ones? How is the early 'Greatest Hits, Etc.'?
    Thanks

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I never had a problem with Negotiations & Love Songs as a CD. Sounds good actually....

"Greatest Hits, Ect" I only own on LP and I thought it sounded ok, but there's the DCC LPs and the original CBS/Columbia Lps that sound better than "Ect".

The only disappointment for me is "Still Crazy After All These Years", I bought as a sealed LP (had the old stickers on the shrink). For some reason, this pressing sounds anemic to me....

3. uffeolby

uffeolby Senior Member

I second the opinion that Negotiations & Love songs sound good, at least to my ears. And the song selection is perfect.

I think this collection is more analogue sounding than the recent remasters, though I like them as well.

4. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

Sound is great. Song selection I've got problems with. It makes Paul sound too mellow.

5. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Gee, the first 3-4 songs that pop into my head ARE mellow.

Me And Julio
    Still Crazy
    Dog After The War
    50 Ways....

I think Paul was very reflective in his solo period. Then Africa came a' calling.

6. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

I think Greatest Hits etc... is the only way to get "Stranded in A Limousine" on CD, no?

7. Jacob Bailis

Jacob Bailis New Member

It's now a bonus track on One Trick Pony. Nevertheless, Greatest Hits Etc. is one of the great out of print CD's. I love the songs, the order, and the sound. I don't own Negotiations & Love Songs.

8. reechie

reechie Senior Member

It's on Rhino's One Trick Pony reissue. "Slip Slidin' Away" is inexplicably a demo version instead of the hit single, though. Fortunately, that's available elsewhere.

Beaten to the punch again! Sorry, Jacob... ;)

9. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

Greatest Hits, Etc. is a great-sounding CD!

aarsonbet and JimC like this.
  10. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

Me and Julio is mellow?

The 3 that pop into my head are:
    Paranoid Blues
    Run that Body Down
    You can call me Al.

Suddenly not so mellow. And would have made a better compliation

11. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

I just found one a few days ago used for $7! And you're right...I had forgotten how good this one sounds!

12. Jay

Jay New Member

I don't have a greatest hits CD, but all the Rhinos sound great.

13. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I also like Greatest Hits, Etc.. Geez, I haven't listened to the Negotiations CD in ages. I should give it a whirl.

14. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

My family had the Greatest Hits Etc. album on cassette when I was a kid and we played it constantly on long car trips. It is burned so permanently on my musical consciousness that I have trouble accepting Paul's actual albums of the period (which I didn't hear till much later) as the "correct" presentation of those songs. I didn't know this album was ever even released on CD. I recently decided I had to make my own from Paul's remasters -- I even had to follow the cassette sequence, which switched "Something So Right" and "Take Me to the Mardi Gras" at the ends of the sides, and had to track down and include the live version of "American Tune," even though it sounds much worse than the rest of the material.

15. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Hi,

I have "Greatest Hits, Etc." on Columbia. The disc dates from 1983 and sounds great. I haven't felt the need to upgrade it. Very rare though! Shortly after issue, Columbia lost the rights to the Paul Simon solo works. Paul Simon owns his catalogue. I love my copy!

16. ACK!

ACK! Senior Member

The import Greatest Hits: Shining Like A National Guitar, released a few years back in 2000 (right before You're The One) has very good sound quality, though it does not have "Stranded In A Limousine." Nice compilation that covers the '70s through the '90s.

17. Tim H.

Tim H. Forum Resident

I have "Negotiations and Love Songs" and a 2cd import "Anthology" taken from the Paul Simon Box set from a few years back. I prefer the sound of Negotiations. I always found the sound of the Box and Anthology to be a bit sterile - although the track selection of Anthology is great.

You should pick up "Negotiations" while you search for an GH Etc...

18. taxman150

taxman150 Forum Resident

How much better is the sound quality on "Greatest Hits, Etc." vs. "Negotiations?"

19. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Dude get The Rhino comp from a few years ago.

20. namretsam

namretsam Senior Member

Agreed. How did we get to 19! posts before this title was mentioned? IMO its not a perfect compilation but its sounds pretty good.

21. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

I guess because it's a little short on pre-Graceland tracks. 10 compared to 14 on Negotiations..

22. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

GREATEST HITS, ETC. still does it for me, every time.

aarsonbet likes this.
  23. mindblanking

mindblanking The Bourbon King

I have Greatest Hits- Shining Like a National Guitar and Negotiations and Love Songs... Negotiations sounds good... Shining sounds INSANELY good... Buy that for $9 used on Amazon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.