Well these speakers look a little over the top.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jack Flannery, Aug 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident Thread Starter

http://www.parts-express.com/audio-artistry-cbt36k-line-array-speaker-pair-kit--301-980

The parts list.
    QtyPart NumberDescription
    36 290-226Dayton Audio ND91-8 3-1/2" Aluminum Cone Driver 8 Ohm
    36 N/AFour-Element 3/4" Tweeter Module Assembly
    1 N/ALine Array Cabinet Left
    1 N/ALine Array Cabinet Right
    2 260-317Acousta-Stuf Polyfill 1 lb. Bag
    3 269-30036" Speaker Sealing Caulk
    2 092-052Neutrik NL4MP Speakon 4-Pole Panel Mount Connector
    2 005-1Mills 1 Ohm 12W Non-Inductive Resistor
    10 005-1.5Mills 1.5 Ohm 12W Non-Inductive Resistor
    4 005-2Mills 2 Ohm 12W Non-Inductive Resistor
    2 005-2.5Mills 2.5 Ohm 12W Non-Inductive Resistor
    4 005-3Mills 3 Ohm 12W Non-Inductive Resistor
    4 005-5Mills 5 Ohm 12W Non-Inductive Resistor
    1 101-804NTE Stranded 18 AWG Hook-Up Wire Red 25 ft.
    1 101-800NTE Stranded 18 AWG Hook-Up Wire Black 25 ft.
    1 101-816NTE Stranded 18 AWG Hook-Up Wire Gray 25 ft.
    1 101-808NTE Stranded 18 AWG Hook-Up Wire Yellow 25 ft.
    1 101-860NTE Stranded 24 AWG Hook-Up Wire Black 25 ft.
    1 101-864NTE Stranded 24 AWG Hook-Up Wire Red 25 ft.
    11 01-868NTE Stranded 24 AWG Hook-Up Wire Yellow 25 ft.
    1 370-050Kester Pocket Pack Solder 60/40 0.031" 0.50 oz. Tube
    1 N/AMiscellaneous Hardware
    1 N/AAssembly Manual

2. norman_frappe

norman_frappe Forum Resident

mine are based on classified military research

beowulf likes this.
  3. Jack Flannery

I used to have a pair of Dahlquists. I think he designed the landing gear on the LEM. Freaking rocket science.

norman_frappe likes this.
  4. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

For the TRULY dedicated soldering gun fan.

norman_frappe likes this.
  5. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

"Based upon declassified military research on Constant-Beamwidth underwater sound Transducers (CBT) originated by the US Navy,"

:-popcorn:

6. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Bet they go up to 11.

7. Jack Flannery

Your soldering gun had better be the magnum.

8. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

These were shown at RAMF in 2011 and sounded pretty good, especially for the price. Even assembled in a somewhat more modest form, they are an excellent value

http://www.selahaudio.com/index/#/arrays/

The FRiNgE likes this.
  9. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

High WAF

10. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

I am not sure I like the curved cabinet, it seems excessive! I am certain this kit will perform well, but I have a few gripes about the advertising, which I agree and disagree:

"Astonishing imaging and accuracy", I think true, since vertical arrays typically image well.
    "Extremely flat and consistent on- and off-axis response", usually true of vertical array designs, but contradictory claims to follow... read on...
    "Advanced line array design controls soundstage with unerring focus", no reason to doubt this claim
    "Vastly reduces floor, ceiling, and wall reflections", floor and ceiling YES; walls, NO, beginning to venture into the twilight zone here!
    "Use of multiple low-distortion drivers provides superior dynamic range", no reason to question this claim
    "Uniform coverage maximizes optimum listening area—no sweet spot!", no sweet spot, no strongly focused image, period, no exceptions. (see claim above, "unerring focus") A vertical array limits vertical dispersion and widens horizontal dispersion which is true, however, the horizontal dispersion should not completely lack directivity and focus. When directivity lacks, so does a convincing three dimensional image. I am not saying this system lacks focus, it should, so it should have a sweet spot.
    "Defies inverse square law—no difference in level, from inches to ten feet away!", Yes, this is true, inherent of vertical line arrays, also true of electrostatic panels and large ribbon speakers. The "sweet spot" is somewhat expanded when the dispersion is wide, (this conversely encourages wall reflections which the manufacturer claims to be minimized.. a blatant contradiction) and the power response of the system is high. When off-axis, the far speaker level will be nearly the same as the near speaker, so there will be an image, although not a strong image since the timing cues will not be dead on.

Overall this product looks like a winner to me; The published reviews are positive.

criticism:
    I am not crazy about the extreme curvature of the tower. The curvature expands the vertical dispersion pattern. This can be good and bad. Perhaps the designer had in mind to expand the soundfield or "sweet spot" (which the manufacturer claims there isn't any) so that a seated listener could be any reasonable height, or stand, and not lose the image. However a slight curve would certainly accomplish the same effect. The more extreme curve may introduce too much time smear, at any vertical position, with associated time and phase distortion. In fact a concave curvature (just the opposite) would keep all drivers exactly in line with the seated listener, exactly in time and in phase. The excess curvature also counters with the limited ceiling reflection as advertised.. do we really want some of the drivers aimed in that direction?

Speaker arrays can be curved, and for a good reason. The curvature places some of the drivers off axis, thus the off axis drivers attenuated in the higher frequencies, as perceived at the listener's position. The time smear isn't as much an issue at lower frequencies, and depending on the length of the delay. This is a highly complex concept, so the curvature of a speaker array may or may not be beneficial, depending on the design. This little tower appears to not benefit at all by its curvature... since the drivers are wide band. There isn't enough off-axis attenuation to roll off the time smear at higher frequencies... a bad thing!

Also the text further supports advertised claims. The off axis +/- 90 degree response flat as claimed can not be true, since no dome tweeter has the ability to reproduce all frequencies equally to 180, degrees... a ridiculous claim!

I am a speaker builder/hobbyist in support of my opinion,
    Steve VK

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
  11. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

Thanks for posting! I'd have fun listening to these!

12. Deryl Johnson

Deryl Johnson Well-Known Member

I want them. I'm a finish carpenter, so I could handle the cabinet assembly. I guess I could take my time with the soldering. I think that it would definitely be worth the effort. The first time I put on Loggins and Messina "Mother Lode", that mandolin would have to sound incredible through those trombones. They just look incredible.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.