Wendy & Lisa - Eroica (Special Edition) June 9, 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BlueGangsta, May 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlueGangsta

BlueGangsta Forum Resident Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Having lent their esoteric funk-folk stylings to Prince & The Revolution during the late legend’s purple reign of the early-80s, Wendy Melvoin and Lisa Coleman left the band to pursue their own maverick musical path in 1986. Fan-favourite Eroica, their third and final album for Virgin Records, saw the duo hit a new creative peak – drawing on influences ranging from Sly Stone to Joni Mitchell to create a vibrant psychedelic-funk- folk sound that was uniquely their own.

Included on this Special Edition double-CD of 22 digitally-remastered tracks are:

The original 1990 album including the singles ‘Strung Out’, ‘Rainbow Lake’ and ‘Don’t Try To Tell Me’, written and produced by Wendy & Lisa. Includes guest contributions by k.d. lang, Eric Leeds of The Family/Madhouse and Wendy’s prolific jazz composer father Michael Melvoin.

Bonus tracks on Disc Two include single mixes and rare b-sides as well as Lisa’s ‘Piano Improvisations’ EP – originally issued as a bonus 3” disc with a limited edition issue of original album. Hardcore Prince fans will know ‘Minneapolis #1’ better as ‘Visions’ – the opening track to The Revolution’s unreleased final album Dream Factory.

Includes a comprehensive booklet featuring single sleeves, lyrics, exclusive interview and track-by- track liner notes from ex-Attitude editor Adam Mattera and Lisa Coleman.

The original Purple Rain line-up of The Revolution – Wendy & Lisa, bassist Brownmark, keyboardist Dr Fink and drummer Bobby Z. – have recently reunited and are touring the US.

DISC ONE
    1. RAINBOW LAKE
    2. STRUNG OUT
    3. MOTHER OF PEARL
    4. DON’T TRY TO TELL ME
    5. CRACK IN THE PAVEMENT
    6. PORCH SWING
    7. WHY WAIT FOR HEAVEN
    8. TURN ME INSIDE OUT
    9. SKELETON KEY
    10.VALLEY VISTA
    11.STARING AT THE SUN

DISC TWO
    1. STRUNG OUT (G-STRUNG 7”)
    2. STONES AND BIRTH
    3. RAINBOW LAKE (12 INTO 7 REMIX)
    4. BALANCE
    5. DON’T TRY TO TELL ME (ALTERNATIVE VERSION)
    6. STRUNG OUT (G-STRUNG MIX)
    7. RAINBOW LAKE (12” MIX)

PIANO IMPROVISATIONS
    8. MINNEAPOLIS #1
    9. MINNEAPOLIS #2
    10.ERIC’S GHOST
    11. C-YA

Eroica: Special Edition – Cherry Red Records

2. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

that was pretty god from what I remember of it . . . and I'm not one for their singing on Prince songs.

BlueGangsta likes this.
  3. BlueGangsta

It's definitely their best album. Don't Try To Tell Me is worth the price of admission alone.

bataclan2002 likes this.
  4. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

While I'd rather get an album of new W&L material, I'll take it! ;)

Bfunkthe1 likes this.
  5. Guy from Ohio

Guy from Ohio Senior Member

6. BlueGangsta

I'm assuming it's for one of these reasons;
    1. W&L have nothing to do with this release.
    2. Their website has been poorly managed up until the recent update. This probably just got lost in everything.

7. AlanDistro

AlanDistro Forum Resident

Has anyone heard this yet? Is the mastering any good?

8. BlueGangsta

I'm listening to the second disc right now; and yes. It does sound pretty great.

Also, I fogot how great the b-sides were from this era! Definitly album-worthy.

9. bataclan2002

bataclan2002 All You Need Is Now.

I have never been a huge fan of this album. I thought Girl Bros. was their best. Seeing how well-liked Eroica is I feel like I'm missing something and I need to give it another chance.
    It's soooo cool to have the piano improvs (one of which was Visions on Dream Factory) officially released.

Bfunkthe1 and BlueGangsta like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.