Wes Anderson Isle Of Dogs March 23, 2018

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by clashcityrocker, Sep 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

I also love the nods to anime, even though the stop-motion gave it the extra dimension missing in anime. How did we get so lucky this year, with two stop-motion gems on the big screen, Early Man and this wonderful film?

2. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

I saw this last night with my 11 year old. I'd say depending on the child, 8-12 year olds would like it, but there was a group of 6 younger kids in front of us (age 5-7?) and I could tell they were kind of lost. Everytime one of the Japanese speakers was talking one kid keot saying "what?".

As for the film, it was amazing. I'm not a super fan of all things Wes Anderson, but I've seen most of his films (forgot about Mr. Fox, I never did see that), and I do enjoy his worldview. The whole "cultural appropriation" argument is silly in my mind. Films by their nature appropriate all the time. In order for a fictional story to make a great film, it has to borrow ideas, settings, language, emotions and culture from everywhere. Is Isle of Dogs a fair representation of Japanese culture? No of course not, it's an animated fantasy film about talking dogs. It borrows elements that make the story work, and the story does work. If you hadn't noticed, Wes has a huge love of nostalgia for the 60s/70s. Isle of Dogs is inspired by the same nostalgia of older Japanese films. The film wasn't made for Japanese audiences (though maybe they might also enjoy it) but for English speaking audiences who don't understand Japanese language, and who were only supposed to have a "dog's understanding" of what they said. I thought this technique was brilliant.

I would highly recommend the film, and I think Wes' best films are ahead of him. Grand Budapest was a miraculous film, and Isle of Dogs even more so.

3. SquishySounds

SquishySounds Yo mama so fat Thanos had to snap twice.

Just got this one from the Redbox.

Why on Earth is this movie rated PG-13? I saw it with my seven year old and didn’t think anything was too objectionable. Sure he didn’t get a lot of the culture jokes and he couldn’t keep up with the subtitles (you can pause a DVD at least). He loved the sushi scene!

“I used to sleep on a lambswool beanbag next to an electric space heater, that's my territory. I'm an indoor dog!”

4/5. A good family film. The wife thought it was ‘weird’.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
    DHamilton likes this.
  4. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Watching it now for the first time. The musical score is one of the best yet in an Anderson film and that's saying a lot. Alexandre Desplat is amazing.

5. notesofachord

Some folks like quirky and some don't. And that's okay.

[​IMG]

6. notesofachord

You gotta love Bob Balaban!

[​IMG]

7. goodpickins

goodpickins Well-Known Member

I'm glad he appeals to a wide audience, he has a unique personal vision (and great taste in music!) and that's rare in American movies nowadays. But he peaked pretty early for me. Tenenbaums is the one film I would call profound. I enjoy his movies but he's never made anything even close as far as leaving a mark on me. Could have been my age too, you're definitely less impressionable as you get older which is too bad.

I know he didnt direct it, but I sure got the feeling that he had more of an influence on The Squid and The Whale than a co-producer normally would. That was a poignant little mastepiece to me. I remember sitting in the theatre, I was by myself, and the closing scene with the title shot, and then the great Loudon Wainwright song, that was really moving.

I'll skip this at least as far as going out to see it, I dont connect much with animated features. Probably my loss.

mikeyt likes this.
  8. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

"Rated PG-13 for thematic elements and some violent images"

9. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I think he also influenced the look of both Paddington films.

Willowman likes this.
  10. notesofachord

The mayor's bare behind is shown briefly as he exits the steamed pool. That might have something to do with it.

11. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I have this indefensible love for Wes Anderson films, in that I cannot walk out of whichever one I have just seen, without thinking, "Damn! Best Movie In The World...! Oscar Season starts in 3...2...-" How does he keep doing that...? :confused:

Derek Slazenger and EddieMann like this.
  12. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Yeah, that's not him - that's you!

13. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I always felt I agreed with my taste in films...:wiggle:

Oatsdad and The Hud like this.
  14. latedep31

latedep31 Forum Resident

Glad I'm not the only one who notices this. I'm trying (emphasis on trying) to learn Japanese, so this mistake sticks out to me. It's like the commentators on Ninja Warrior who constantly refer to "Mt. Midoriyama.": you're just calling it Green Mountain Mountain.

15. questrider

questrider Forum Resident

I watched this last weekend on blu-ray. From the minute it started I had a grin on my face and smiled the whole way through. Even had a couple of outburst chuckles. Of course, it's all because of Wes Anderson's quirky style with his signature look, tone, and pace but I was also amused by the voices of Cranston, Norton, Murray, Goldblum, Balaban, and Schrieber as the crew of dogs. Johansson was kind of wasted in a role that had about three lines but I found Gerwig entertaining as the exchange student fighting for social justice against the mayor. Overall I enjoyed it a lot but I also love everything else that Anderson has done except I haven't seen his other animated feature Fantastic Mr. Fox yet.

16. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

You should see Fantastic Mr. Fox as soon as you can, it is wonderful!

17. SquishySounds

SquishySounds Yo mama so fat Thanos had to snap twice.

Like the ATM that wants my ‘PIN number’ (Personal Identification Number number).

18. latedep31

latedep31 Forum Resident

Um, sorry, you mean "ATM Machine." :p

19. DonnyMe

DonnyMe Forum Resident

I enjoyed this movie a lot . I think it will score higher with dog lovers than cat lovers. Definitely not a movie for everyone. But then again, I love dogs.

20. GeetarFreek

GeetarFreek Forum Resident

I just finally saw this and loved it. Visually just so different and striking, And soundtrack is wonderful

The story is also great, Anderson just knows how to tell these simple bittersweet tales.

Not as good as Grand Budapest but def up there with his best.

21. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

I thought it was sort of violent and disturbing for a "kids" movie.

22. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

It isn't a kids' movie.

23. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

My 13 year old daughter loved it....and she also is fascinated with Japanese culture so that was a plus. The amount of work that went into the film was pretty incredible.

24. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Kinda meh. Fox was better.

25. GroovyBaby

GroovyBaby Forum Resident

We loved this movie. Wes Anderson has a voice and a vision that is unique and creative. And .... He can get his movies made in this Micheal Bay, J.J. Abrams
    shaky camera world.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.