West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Barnabas Collins, Feb 4, 2006.

1. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member Thread Starter

On a recommendation from a friend, I picked up a vinyl reissue of WCPAEB Volume 2. This is really good stuff, sort of a cross between a less strange Mothers of Invention and Syd Barrett era Pink Floyd; it also has that whole west coast psychedelic 60s sound.

Any fans? Suppose they give a war and no one comes?

2. child of nature

child of nature dreaming, more or less

Yes, I am definitely a fan. I'm just starting to get into them, so I only have Vol. 3: A Child's Guide To Good and Evil so far, but I'm looking to expand my collection. Sundazed, yet again, has turned me on to some excellent music.

I find it very interesting that the lead singer, Shaun Harris, had no regard for the lyrics that Bob Markley penned. Personally, I find the lyrics to be perfectly psychedelic, and I also think that Harris interprets them very well, despite his reservations. "As The World Rises And Falls," "Until The Poorest of People Have Money to Spend", and "A Child of a Few Hours is Burning to Death"...complex, haunting music.

BTW, though they are psychedelic, apparently the group didn't participate in the drug scene very much.

3. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

I absolutely love Vol 3 - A Child's Guide To Good And Evil and play it quite frequently. "As The World Rises and Falls" is one of my all-time favorite songs. The whole album is like Pop candy. I probably would have never heard of this band had I not heard them on a College station about 4 years ago. I also have Vol 1, though I don't like it nearly as much as Vol 3. Haven't heard the rest though I'll probably get them some day.

belardd likes this.
  4. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Speaking of Shaun Harris, his solo album has just been reissued on Rev Ola - it had the fate of being released on the same day as Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" and on the same label. It's lovely music - not psychedelic, but more for fans of Millennium....

lemonade kid likes this.
  5. olsen

olsen Senior Member

God, I SAW them at the Hollywood Teenage Fair. In a tent. Kim Fowley was outside acting as barker ("If you go inside your minds will never be the same!") Inside they played a 20 minute set, over and over. But it was cool sounds and I bought whichever album had "Help I'm A Rock" on it. Great stuff. I feared Fowley forever after however.

geneva67, sjaca, Lightworker and 6 others like this.
  6. child of nature

child of nature dreaming, more or less

Thanks for this information; I wasn't aware of a solo album!

Great story. You're lucky to have seen them.

Heck, I've never seen Kim Fowley in person; I've read enough, and I'm pretty terrified of him as it is! :laugh:

7. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

I have a mono promo copy of Vol. III, and what's always cracked me up is the timing for "The Anniversary of World War III." The track is actually a couple of minutes of complete silence, but note the time that's given on the label.

(Edit: sorry, I've been trying to upload a scan of it, but I'm having problems. The time on the label for this track is "0:00"! My copy also came with a DJ timing strip that had this same information, but I seem to have misplaced this.)

I also never noticed till now that the track listing on the back of the LP is completely at odds with what actually appears on the record.

Leonthepro likes this.
  8. doubleaapn

doubleaapn Forum Resident

Great, eccentric ***** that's inspired and inept simultaneously - not for the squeamish. I dare anyone to pigeonhole these guys (other than very strange.) Fans of demented 60's psych-rock need to check these guys out, pronto!

Aaron

9. Paul Curtis

Paul Curtis Forum Resident

A mono Child's Guide? YOW! I never knew such a thing existed, even as a promo!

I do have nice monos of the other two Reprise LPs, and both are unique mixes.

Of course, all three albums are fantastic, even though Markley was apparently a real creep. It does put side B of the Volume 2 LP in a rather...odd light. :eek:

--Paul Curtis

10. GMav

GMav Senior Member

I have 4 CD's by them.

Volume One
    Part One
    Volume 2
    Volume 3: A Child's Guide To Good and Evil

All on Sundazed

Great stuff.

Greg

Scope J and Dennis Metz like this.
  11. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Don't forget the Markey solo album, which was really also the WEPAEB.

marc with a c likes this.
  12. Todd E

Todd E Forum Resident

Kim tends to show people about as much respect as he thinks they deserve. And he can come on awfully strong.

A brilliant guy, sez I, done in (to the degree he's done in) by an attention span of about 1.3 seconds and by people who should know better being unable to take him seriously.

Michael Lloyd, of the WCPAEB, went on to work with Mike Curb, producing acts including the Osmonds and Shaun Cassidy.

Lightworker likes this.
  13. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I've got them all too...very good!

14. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

15. John54

John54 Senior Member

I have Vols. 1 and 3, and was not impressed, other than the cover of "Here's Where You Belong", with which I was very very very impressed, and "Transparent Day". I thought they were mostly just weak somewhat country-flavoured guitar pop. I appear to be in the minority, so perhaps another listen is in order ...

16. olsen

olsen Senior Member

Naw they weren't great by any means. Just a few bright spots.

mr.datsun likes this.
  17. 120dB

120dB Forum Resident

Wcpaeb

They were not LOVE or even SPIRIT, but this group were more interesting and multi-faceted than most and had a unique Sunset Strip meets sleaze vibe courtesy of money-man Markley.
    Anybody ever hear the early 60s "teen idol" sides he cut for Warner Brothers? Pretty funny stuff that the Harris Brothers would never let him forget...

Lightworker likes this.
  18. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

Largely as a result of having read this thread (and the blurbs about the band in the latest Sundazed catalog), I picked up a used Reprise Vol. 2 LP when I saw it last weekend.

This is intoxicating music! :thumbsup: And the sound is quite good as well. "Smell of Incense" is captivating ...

19. olsen

olsen Senior Member

Ok what'd I miss? Who's Markley?

20. 120dB

120dB Forum Resident

Markley, a Group?

That question is worth a book. What a character
    that guy was (is?)...

marc with a c likes this.
  21. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night

As well as the Sundazed releases, I have the Markley, A Group CD. It's a needle-drop boot, but nicely put together. It contains a few really good songs---Shaun Harris and Michael Lloyd from the original WCPAEB were involved---but Markley's predilection for young, young girls gets really disturbing here.

Anyone know Markley's fate? Everything I've read points to the onset of psychological problems, the gradual disintegration of his inheritance, and eventual death in obscurity.

22. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

23. Clarkophile

Hi Sharedon,
    Yes, I've read that article. Fascinating stuff. The deal-with-the-devil tension between the axis of the Harris brothers/Michael Lloyd vs. the opportunistic and manipulative Markley makes their story unforgettable. Somebody should make a movie about these guys.
    "Little Ruby Rain" is a terrific Baroque pop tune from the Markley, A Group album, don't you think?
    Is the Shaun Harris release worth picking up? I'm right into the whole Millennium/Sagittarius sound.
    Tom

Chris M likes this.
  24. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Yes, if you like the softer aspects of WCPAEB, and especially Millennium/Sagittarius, I'm sure you'll love the Shaun Harris. It's a wonderful album.

Chris M and Clarkophile like this.
  25. Clarkophile

Thanks for the tip. I'll track it down for sure.