West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Barnabas Collins, Feb 4, 2006.

1. salutations all, i'm new here...

My Brother played Lead/Rhythm guitars and wrote a few songs on the WCPAEB albums Part One, Volume 2 & Volume 3 (but had a big hand in arrangements on most and even sang on "Watch Yourself" Vol 3). It is interesting that he still is virtually unknown, but if you dig the guitar sounds, hooks and riffs..it's his signature. Apart from any other albums by this name. Why those forementioned albums seem to stick out; is because of my Brothers' contribution. That he never got much recognition in a "positive light" from the other members is baffling to many...

I am telling my Brothers story for anyone interested, though some of it is quite controversial... the story must be told. WCPAEB Part One Pages play music from the (3) showcased albums...enjoy.

I do not wish to discount any comments or postings here, I am glad this music is being enjoyed and rediscovered. :)

2. Frank G

Frank G Forum Resident

Very interesting, retrorobert. I've been a music freak for many years (I bought the Reprise WCPAEB LP upon release) and had no idea about Ron. It seems to be a way with the business. When you don't promote yourself, sometimes you get lost. I look forward to reading more.

Frank G

3. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night

Ron Morgan was a fantastic guitar player. Thanks for posting that... and welcome to the Forum!

Chris M likes this.
  4. Clarkophile

I've never seen any film of WCPAEB. The only visual record of the band seems to be comprised of a few surviving photographs. Are you aware of any existing footage of them, live or otherwise, particularly during Ron's tenure with the band?

Chris M likes this.
  5. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

"A Smell of Incense" is their greatest track and moment for me.

6. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

I was also there & remember that tent, I think! My best buddy supposedly knew a band member & got us in free. I was just acquainted to them by the album in a record store.
    The fair, at the Hollywood Palladium, was kind of a non happening, as I remember it. :o

7. I wished there were more pictures and any film footage... they were on Merv Griffin 1966.

I appreciate the welcome Tom.
    Further on.

8. Thanks Frank, am hoping people enjoy learning about Ron.. I'm the only kat on this rock that was there with Ron all the way. Robert.

9. Francis

Francis Active Member

Did anyone listen to the last LP 180 g vinyl reissue of Part One ? How is the sound ? I have the Sundazed CD reissue and I would be happy to have that record on vinyl !...

10. Francis

Francis Active Member

bump !

11. ernie11

ernie11 Senior Member

Hooray for you, that is an excessively rare LP.

I was too young to remember this group, but a few years ago, I got their first LP in mono, and really liked it.

12. Devotional

Devotional Senior Member

I love the band, but I'm glad I don't collect them. Vol. 1 was pressed in what? 100 copies back in 1966?

"I Won't Hurt You" and "Transparent Day" are two of my favourite songs.

13. WCPAEB Volume 1 is often confused with Part One; but was recorded before Part One and was never released until Part One was re-released by Sundazed.. a ploy I suspect by the Harris's to get in on the popularity of Part One, Volume 2 & 3 that were enjoying popularity mostly in Europes' "Psych Underground"... not to mention being bootlegged. The 3 latter mentioned were released on the Reprise label originally and did not sell well. Part One was recorded in 1966 and released in the spring of 1967 reaching approx. 12,000 sales by the end of 1968; Volume 2 & 3 did worse.

If you'd like to know more, see my home page link in my profile... the mystery continues.:agree:

Mechanical Man likes this.
  14. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Markley

i found a 'Promotion - Not For Sale' DJ copy of Markley, a Group (Forward ST-F-1007, 1970) last week in the $0.99 bins. i was pleasantly surprised, good stuff!

Gumboo and lowellmorris like this.
  15. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I am bumping up this old thread to ask about the colored vinyl reissues that are abundent of the Reprise albums by WCPAEB.

Are they any good? Are they Scorpios?

16. And: I haven't read the links yet, but I recall reading that Bob Markley* apparently died from infections after passing out in the sun during a heatwave and getting some pretty severe sunburns. Sounds kind of like a myth - especially since, IIRC, it supposedly happened in a rowboat of all places - but who knows, eh?

spookpsych!

*EDIT: Corrected for posterity - thanks, Platterpus!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  17. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

Bob Markley died in 2003. He had suffered from mental illness for a long time as well. I have all four of the Sundazed CD's and like them quite a bit. However, they are not quite as weird of a band as their name suggests but still fun to listen to.

18. And I just read (on Wikipedia, for what it's worth) that WCPAEB guitarist Danny Harris died on the set of Saving Mr Banks a couple of years ago, from a heart attack. What a way - and place - to go.

19. Clarkophile

Oh wow, I didn't know that.

It's true, I just found his obit.
    http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/sanluisobispo/obituary.aspx?pid=161513874

And I'm not so sure it was a heart attack. Read the first comment here, from someone purporting to be his widow:
    http://aftercredits.com/2013/11/saving-mr-banks-2013/

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  20. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

21. Clarkophile

Fans of the WCPAEB may wish to track down the multi-part history of the band by Tim Forster that was spread over, I believe, three issues of Shindig.
    Tim also penned the notes for the WCPAEB Companion CD, which gathers together assorted side projects from the Harris brothers, Michael Lloyd and the infamous Mr. Markley.
    http://www.sunbeamrecords.com/WCPAEB/west_coast_pop_art.html

22. aoxomoxoa

So no one has the reissue vinyl? Interested specifically in Part One

23. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

I have a German Pressing of Part One, nice sound, early 80s, looks like it could almost be an original but has
    a small 1981? on the back cover. Also have a promo 45 of 1906/Shifting Sands

24. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I have a vinyl reissue of Part One and I'm not all that thrilled by it. It's noisy and muffled. Maybe it's just my copy and maybe that's how it's supposed to sound, but not all that impressed with a new reissue. I bought it for 10 bucks so it's not really that bad of a deal if you get it that cheap.

25. aoxomoxoa

It seems originals have skyrocketed in price over the past 20 years. Oh well, maybe I will pick up the Sundazed CD instead.

Summerisle likes this.