West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Barnabas Collins, Feb 4, 2006.

1. was alerted to the new postings- currently have the original reprise vinyl issues of wcpaeb part one, volume 2 and vol 3 (used of course) for sale right now. i would be reluctant to accept a notion of a movie or a book, - a middleman wouldn't even benefit from the deminished interest of this band. i have done extensive research in the past 25 years on my own to know this, besides being involved directly with wcpaeb's direction from 1967-1969. - the info is still quite biased and inaccurate. rip dan harris - his wife vicki is a sweetheart. dan's music reminds me of and exemplfies ron morgans influence.

marc with a c likes this.
  2. jacethecrowl

jacethecrowl Forum Resident

For anyone who enjoys Vol. 3 (Vol. III?), I'm really curious about the discrepancy between the track listing and the actual listening. Seems to be a last minute change during initial production, but does anyone know why?

I first became acquainted with the album on the bootleg Head CD (early 90s?), which followed the track listing on the back cover. This is the sequence I'm used to, so when I acquired an original U.S. pressing the track order just felt wrong and almost random. I emailed the producer of the Sundazed CD to ask if he found anything about the matter in his research, and he was kind enough to reply but didn't seem to think it was an interesting question either. Consider what a powerful opener "A Child of a Few Hours" could be, and the goofy "Our Drummer Always Plays in the Nude" as the delightful closer. Even the gimmicky silent track becomes a more powerful "statement" (such as it is) in the middle of a side, rather than just a long runout at the end of the album.

There's a recent(?) bootleg LP with this song order, which may not be the most stellar mastering (haven't compared 'em) but I just wanted a vinyl version with my preferred sequence. It appears to be modeled from the original German pressing, but I can't figure out why this would be the exception of the international first issues ("Anniversary of World War III" is not included at all -- too soon for Germany since the last WW?). Also odd is the discrepancy in catalog numbers, since Reprise's regular practice seems to have been using the same # in different countries.

If anyone else has any info or wildly speculative theories on this... (and why the Germans got it right -- still wish they'd slugged in the silence before "Watch Yourself"). For me, sequencing can be the difference between a good and great album, and in this case makes WCPAEB3 a much more cohesive experience. If you don't believe me, program your CD player or make a playlist with the jacket song order.

And perhaps Head was a German "label," and that's why they used that sequence?

?!

3. CURPLES

CURPLES Forum Resident

I have a question about Where's My Daddy. I have a copy of this and have had one dealer look at who told me that he was sure it was not an original-because it was in such good condition. Well, that is certainly not a fact. My question is-how can you tell an original from a reissue of this LP-does anyone know? I tried searching for information online once, but came up with nothing. If anyone could tell me what to look for, I would appreciate it-Thanks!

ETA-I was actually able to answer my own question-just found the info I needed!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  4. jacethecrowl

well, I'm curious how you figured it out!

5. CURPLES

CURPLES Forum Resident

Well, I went to Discogs and looked again, I checked in the past and found nothing, but this time there was some info about the original and the reissue. The reissue information is here:

http://www.discogs.com/West-Coast-Pop-Art-Experimental-Band-Wheres-My-Daddy/release/1737625

The information for the original is here:

http://www.discogs.com/West-Coast-Pop-Art-Experimental-Band-Wheres-My-Daddy/release/3212030

The information for the original issue lists the differences between the original and reissue-notably this information:

Notes

On the label the cat.nr. appears with a dash: ''AAS-7004''
    Original pressing with red Amos lettering and silver print on the label.
    Below the logo on the front cover there is a caption ''stereo''.
    Counterfeits are missing the caption and have black and white labels

My copy is missing the "stereo" logo and the labels are all black and white. It's in superb condition though and sounds great to me, I have no complaints.

6. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I remember bootleg versions of that album popping up around 15 years ago. I had one but I didn't think the album was that great. Certainly not the caliber of thier Reprise albums.

7. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

Don't quote me on this but I remember reading somewhere back in the 90's that there was an alternate mix for this album.

8. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

http://members.chello.nl/cvanderlely/wcpaeb/disco/disco4.html

Notes: Other participants on this album may include Roger Bryant and Bob Yeazel.
    The back cover of this album also features an alternate running order for the tracks than actually appears on the record.

9. Mechanical Man

Mechanical Man I Am Just a Mops

Weird, that's my favorite album of theirs.

10. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

Disregard my quote above about the Vol. 3 album. The link below is what I was referring to but it was for the album Vol. 2:

http://members.chello.nl/cvanderlely/wcpaeb/disco/disco3.html

Notes: The Mono versions of the above feature strikingly different mixes and are essential listening for those interested in such things. Also, a noticeably different stereo mix of "Volume Two" turned up on a mid-'80's European reissue.

11. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

I saw a Scorpio pressing of Volume 3: A Child's Guide.. today but didn't pick it up because of the track record of Scorpio pressings and I've never listened to the band before. But I will probably pick up something based on what I've decided to look up.

12. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

13. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

14. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

I don't know much about the history of Scorpio but they seem to be an outsource for labels to have vinyl pressed. Scorpio takes what they can get from the label source wise and they do the dirty work I guess. Word of mouth is probably the only way to know what to buy or not to buy sound wise from this firm. Funny thing, I have a couple CD's from the late 90's by Sony Music Special Products that say Scorpio on the back insert. That's when I first heard the term Scorpio. But this must be a different Scorpio?

15. finsaah

finsaah Forum Resident

Yeah, I've got this and it's noisy as hell. Luckily I found an original so it's now in the out pile.

16. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

It would be nice to see a legit reissue of their 4th independently (Amos records) released album "Where's My Daddy?" There's a grey area CD reissue that's been out there for a while.

marc with a c likes this.
  17. jacethecrowl

aoxomoxoa likes this.
  18. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Awesome.

Do the mono mixes subdue the obnoxiousness of Bob Markley in any way? Because that would make me very happy.

radiofreedavis likes this.
  19. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I am in for these!

20. jacethecrowl

Spun these both last night and they sound amazing and render the stereo mixes moot, at least in my house. And they apparently had access to the original art—seems there are actually fine details in those vaguely psychedelic blobs on the cover of Part One. Only mid-February and already Reissues Of The Year.

aoxomoxoa likes this.
  21. Nrochie4184

Nrochie4184 Forum Resident

Very interested in these reissues. Has anyone else checked these out?

22. ottoman79

ottoman79 Forum Resident

Has anyone heard the A Child's Guide mono reissue? I heard an original WLP and I was sure it was a simple fold down of the stereo mix.

23. Kill Uncle Meat

Kill Uncle Meat Forum Resident

I have no experience with Jackpot Records, are these new mono pressings any good? No off-center, noisy vinyl records? I love this band.

24. qm1ceveb

qm1ceveb Forum fanatic

Ron Morgan is a great, underrated guitarist and seems a unique character as well. Any info?

25. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Wow, glad I saw this thread. Not quite sure how I'd never ever heard of these guys.

Based on samples I just heard (Shifting Sands, Smell of Incense), this might be the next obsession/victim of my interests.