Wharfedales to consider

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jim Fuquay, Feb 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim Fuquay

Jim Fuquay Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I just auditioned the Elac Debut B6, which I was ready to like, but ended up preferring what I felt was a more forward (present?) sound of the (tiny) Wharfedale Diamond 210 the dealer also had, and also preferred the Wharfedale's mid-range sound to some of his others (Elac Uní-Fi UB5, an NHT small bookshelf, and a Scansonic M-series small floorstander). I suspect the Wharfedale's Kevlar "woofer" cone and design approach produces a tone I like, and from what I read the Wharfedale line generally has a warm sound, which I prefer. (I "grew up" on large Advents and still have and like them. My other setup is Magnepan MMGs with sub, but I don't think I can properly place Maggies in this particular room.)

So my question is, if I'm looking for a larger bookshelf in the Wharfedale line to get more bass (I don't need a lot -- I play lots of classical, jazz and acoustic in a 14x16' room), would I be likely happy with the latest Denton Anniversary model, which is gorgeous, or another in the 200 line or the 10.x line? My dealer told me the Jade 3 is a personal favorite, but he said he can no longer order it, just the Reva instead, which he hasn't heard. I don't think I've got a chance of hearing a wide range of Wharfedales anywhere near me, but would be willing to give one a try if I can narrow the choices.

Any thoughts on a candidate? Thanks.

CrazyCatz likes this.
  2. cadeallaw

cadeallaw Forum Resident

You can still order the Jade 3 from MusicDirect at a discount. I have the Jade 5s, the whole Jade line gets good reviews

patient_ot likes this.
  3. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

I have the Wharfedale Dentons in my 12x14 room, and my musical interests are similar to yours. I bought a sub, but haven't been using it, the Dentons provide me with enough bass to meet my needs. They are really lovely speakers, both cosmetically and sonically.

Jack Flannery and patient_ot like this.
  4. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I have a set of 10.2s. They put out a decent amount of bass. Certainly enough for classical and jazz IME.

Most tests and reviews I read indicated the 10.2s had better bass response than the Dentons, although the Dentons may be better speakers overall.

The Jade line is in a higher price bracket. I'd expect those to be better than the lower priced speakers. By the time you get to that price point I'd assume you'd be looking at other brands of speakers as well.

5. dolsey01

dolsey01 Forum Resident

I'm using the Denton's to be the yin to Martin Logan yang. I've owned electrostatics for almost 25 years but sometimes you don't want to hear every detail or have your head stuck in a vise to stay in the sweet spot. I'm amazed that the Denton's can hold their own against a full size speakers costing multiple times more. I tend to play music that sounds good on them through them, and when doing so they excel. Anything with really deep bass, not so much.

I call the Denton's ear slippers since they are warm and comfortable.

6. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

I have Denton's in my home office and totally agree with you. One of the tweeters fell apart on shipping and I was more than a bit annoyed when I got them. But it was just a matter of removing the tweeter, and snapping it back together. So one might say something about Chinese quality concerning the tweeters but the Denton's sound very good. The cabinets do look fine. I think they are a very good choice for $500.

signothetimes53 likes this.
  7. enfield

enfield Forum Resident

Just an after thought.I presumed Wharfedale had gone bust a decade or so ago and sold off the name .I say this because at one point there were loads and loads of cheap Chinese TV's and other electronics being sold in high street shops under the Wharfedale name.
    [​IMG]

8. also a 10.2 lover. Listen to almost everything classical or jazz in my small room and just love them. I'd order them, audition them and if you don't like them you can return them

patient_ot likes this.
  9. rich100

rich100 Forum Resident

I have the 220's on my TT system (Rega, DL110, Marantz amp), it took me a while as I've had to make them work in a room that doubles as dining room with limited positioning options, but I do now have them where I'm getting a nice stereo image and the sound is very much to my liking with enough bass (the bass port is on the base of these speakers).

10. CraigC

CraigC Live It Up

I just got Dentons delivered. I haven't done any serious listening yet and they're current playing Some Girls on repeat in the other room to help burn them in. Heads up that I called Music Direct and they gave me the $399 shipped price on a new walnut pair.

T'mershi Duween likes this.
  11. T'mershi Duween

T'mershi Duween Forum Resident

I did the same! In walnut as well. For $399. Should be here tomorrow.

12. Jim Fuquay

Jim Fuquay Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Thanks for all the comments, folks. No decision yet, other than to do some remeasurements for positioning .7 Magnepans in the room and trying it out at a local dealer. I've never bought speakers without listening first and would still prefer to do that here as well. But certainly some Wharfedale fans out there.

13. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

Anyone heard the Wharfedale Reva’s 1 or 2? Wondering how much of an upgrade they would be over the Dentons or Diamond 225s.

14. dividebytube

dividebytube Forum Resident

Love my Dentons - maybe among the best I've heard in this price range. They err on the side of politeness and don't necessarily rock out at high volume levels, but for moderate listening, and especially with jazz, they are really nice.

ChrisR2060 likes this.
  15. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

The Dentons are wonderful speakers, but it cannot be stressed enough that they take a loooong time to break in. At first, they sound good if a little forward, then they sound kind weird and dull for a while, before opening up and becoming balanced. Moral: Don't be too hasty to judge them.

T'mershi Duween and ChrisR2060 like this.
  16. ChrisR2060

ChrisR2060 Stereo addict

There are many more I am sure but I have found this on spotify: "THe Ultimate Test" album by Bass Extreme and Techmaster P.E.B.
    Not only it gives the woofers a good workout (be careful), it is somewhat educational too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.