What About "CUT THE CRAP" ? 1985--The Clash--POLL:

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Psychedelic Good Trip, Apr 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maxnix

maxnix Forum Resident

Hated the album, liked the tour. Go figure.

2. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

Dreadful album. Look at what Mick Jones was doing with Big Audio Dynamite....

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  3. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Went with ¨We Are The Clash ¨ because it's the only song on the whole album I like.

4. Interesting film but boy is it ever misnamed, it should've been called The Decline and Fall of the Clash. I mean, geez, a good 85% of concerns their post-Sandinista activity! Kudos though for not papering over the 5-man lineup and the woebegotten subject album of this thread, unlike most Clash biographic/retrospective product.

5. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

I'm a pretty big Clash fan, but to this day I have never even heard a track off of the Cut The Crap album - the reason being that I know it is crap because it doesn't have Mick Jones on it.

6. JD Considine gave his SHT review to the wrong album.

7. Sandinista

Sandinista Forum Resident

Cut The Crap is worth owning for

This is England
    Three Card Trick
    North and South

This is England is a Strummer tour de force - it alone is worth the price of admission.

There are a couple others on here that I don't HATE hate but I really can't get behind the whole football chant fist waving thing.

The songs I mentioned, to me, sound like they could have fit on other Clash albums.

8. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

This guy agrees with you:

The Rise and Fall of the Clash (2012)

9. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Some of my friends went to see the band on that tour - we were in high school at the time, and they all felt a little sheepish about going, as everyone seemed to understand it wasn't the "real Clash"!

I wasn't a big fan at the time, but I would've gone if it'd been the versi0n of the band with Mick Jones...

10. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere Thread Starter

11. Karnak

Karnak "81, 82, 83, 84..."

Liked 'Are You Ready'- had the cassette.

vince and Psychedelic Good Trip like this.
  12. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Noooo, he puts on "Memphis Train"!
    BUT, "Mystery Train" is a GREAT FILM!!!
    Possibly Jarmusch's BEST!
    My favorite Strummer line:
    "I must've missed that bit of American culture!"

13. Psychedelic Good Trip

Love that line.

Dusting ‘Em Off: The Clash – Cut The Crap

14. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

The sooner they stop calling this a Clash album the better. Just call it a Joe Strummer album. I mean that's what the band and label think as it wasn't included in the Sound System 'complete' collection.

One OK song.

15. Psychedelic Good Trip

Agree, calling Crap a Clash album was just for a cash in at Epic. Cut The Crap is a good Strummer solo album. IMHO :righton:

Koabac, stewedandkeefed and Jim B. like this.
  16. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I did see them on the tour with this lineup, and live I think it was OK.

17. Psychedelic Good Trip

You know I've heard from a few people who saw Clash 1985--1986 live and said the live versions of the album tunes were better sounding.

18. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

I saw them in Worcester, MA in April 1984. The only thing I remember is surprisingly they allowed people to stage dive. At one point a bunch of people got on stage and surrounded Strummer. All I remember is hearing this through the speakers:

"Janie! Janie! I made it!"

19. stewedandkeefed

stewedandkeefed Came Ashore In The Dead Of The Night

I think the shows of The Clash Mach II were entertaining but the new material was not better than what was on the record. When I saw them "Are You Red. . .y" was compelling but "This Is England" did not have the impact of the studio version. "Sex Mad Roar/War" was solid but "In The Pouring Rain" was the standout. There's a bootleg called Give 'Em Enough Dope which has soundboard recordings from shows in the spring of 1984. This is the best document of that tour and "In The Pouring Rain" on that recording is a definite highlight.

20. Psychedelic Good Trip

Thanks for sharing your experience for 1984 live Clash. I wish an official box set would be released of this Clash 1984--1986 live material. This Is England in the studio is much more impactful in the studio.

21. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

I was a big fan of the Clash and experienced those releases in real time. A number of my friends loved the Clash also. None of us considered Cut the Crap to be a Clash album. We all thought it was a cash-in.

22. Psychedelic Good Trip

Yes, unfortunately BIG time. :shrug:

stewedandkeefed likes this.
  23. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

"In the Pouring Rain" did eventually get released (a live recording) on the "Future is Unwritten" soundtrack.

24. Dr. Mudd

Dr. Mudd Audient

No choice. Lousy LP.

25. Psychedelic Good Trip

Amazing February 10th 1984 show from Glasgow Barrowlands.

Hope an official release comes out of Clash live 1984--1986.

Pharz likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.