What albums from the '80's don't sound dated?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audiodrome, Aug 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoelDF

JoelDF Senior Member

Treasure, by the Cocteau Twins. They were already out of the early 80's semi-goth sound by the second album Head Over Heals, but this one really stood them out.

The Swing, by Inxs. Probably the only Inxs record that I think isn't date-able given the completely different sound they went for. The haven't done it again since then either. My personal favorite of theirs.

Lone Justice, S/T. Just a good record.

:)

Joel

2. Pope V

Pope V Lurker

LOL

I dunno Ed, just because there aren't many "audience recorded, live, boombox recordings" commercially available doesn't make it sound any less like generic 80's hardcore to me. (although I do love it)

3. StyxCollector

StyxCollector Man of Miracles

PG "So" sonically sounds dated. Material is great, but the CP-70 piano is a dead giveaway. Love that piano sound tho.

I think albums like Joe Jackson's "Body and Soul" and "Night & Day" hold up well.

I'd add Phil's Collins' "Face Value" and "Hello! I Must Be Going!" to the mix.

Rush "Moving Pictures" (I would add others, but based on my criteria, an album like "Power Windows" or "Hold Your Fire" clearly mark them in the mid-late 80s).

Police - "Synchronicity" and "Ghost in the Machine"

Paul McCartney "Flowers in the Dirt"

Bryan Adams "Reckless" and "Cuts Like a Knife"

I'm sure I'd come up with more ...

4. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Amy Grant-Lead Me On doesn't sound dated, IMO, at all and in fact, a lot of the songs hold up more than the hits from "Heart In Motion" which followed "Lead Me On" in 1991 and does have a lot of the trappings that make it the early 1990s recording it is, while "Unguarded" from 1985 definitely is sonically dated while some of the music such as "Find a Way" (this song definitely has the clues that album overall is sonically dated), "Everywhere I Go," "Love of Another Kind," "Wise Up," (another song with the signs that has the clues that the album overall is sonically dated) all from Unguarded and songs such as "Angels," "Thy Word," and "Where Do You Hide Your Heart from 1984's "Straight Ahead," are among her best of that time period.

5. StyxCollector

Living Colour - Vivid
    Journey - Escape
    Bangles - Greatest Hits (good songs; not as time trapped IMHO as the Go-Go's)
    Prince - Purple Rain (some electronics, songs transcend them here ...)

6. Brian Cruz

Brian Cruz Forum Resident

I'd have to agree with this choice. There are a lot of "Indie" bands trying to pass this sound off as their own, but that's because it's great. :) :thumbsup:

7. StyxCollector

Sting - Dream of the Blue Turtles
    Steve Winwood - Arc of a Diver
    throw in some John Cougar Mellencamp
    maybe some Suzanne Vega (always underrated)
    Begrudgingly, I'd probably throw "Thriller" in there
    Queen - Works
    Van Halen - 1984
    Huey Lewis - Sports
    Travelling Wilburys - Volume 1
    Tom Petty - Full Moon Fever (was that '89 ?)

Beastie Boys - Licensed to Ill
    Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms

8. StyxCollector

Steely Dan - Gaucho
    AC/DC - Back in Black
    Styx - Paradise Theater
    Billy Joel - Glass Houses

9. Tony Caldwell

Tony Caldwell Senior Member

Michelle Shocked "Short Sharp Shocked" 1988 Produced by Pete Anderson.

King Crimson "Discipline", "Beat", and "Three of a Perfect Pair"

Lyle Lovett "and his Large Band" 1989 Prod. by Tony Brown, Billy Williams, and Lyle.

Frank Zappa "Tinsel Town Rebellion" and "You Are What You Is" 1981 Produced by FZ.

Dwight Yoakam "Hillbilly Deluxe" 1987 Produced by Pete Anderson.

King's X "Gretchen Goes to Nebraska" 1989 Prod. by Sam Taylor.

Bela Fleck and the Flecktones "S/T" oops that one is from 1990. Better stop there.

Tony

10. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

My favorite albums of the eighties could have been recorded in the sixties or last week:

Tracy Chapman - TRACY CHAPMAN (1988)

One of the first "DDD" discs I bought, but I won't hold that against a perfect album, produced with characteristic polish and care by David Kershenbaum, who adds just enough details to avoid monochrome exposure. Oh, the songs and singing were pretty amazing, too. One of the great debut albums.

Julia Fordham - PORCELAIN

One of the great unknown voices in contemporary music, at least in the U.S., this is her best album. It's also her least dated, thanks to Hugh Padgham's organic settings. Fordham's voice is a wonder. Check the album-closer, "Your Lovely Face": unlike most songbirds, she can hit the low notes as well as the dog whistle.

Lou Reed - NEW YORK (1989)

Very simple, well-recorded rock quartet. One of the best-sounding CDs when it first came out, and my favorite non-Velvet Underground Lou.

Richard & Linda Thompson - SHOOT OUT THE LIGHTS (1982)

The Thompsons recorded this album twice, after Richard vetoed the entire LP as produced by Gerry Rafferty, fearing the production was too slick. Re-recorded with Joe Boyd, whose laissez-faire negligence was just what these incredible songs needed: an air of spontaneity and simplicity.

Suzanne Vega - SOLITUDE STANDING (1987)

Although the hit single, "Luka," was big enough to get "dated" as a classic eighties track, this album remains fairly timeless, featuring baroque decoration of story-songs that could have quickly deteriorated into self-parody without a deft touch. Reportedly mastered for headphone playback, Vega's near vibrato-less delivery is spookily present. The only thing that marks this album's decade of origin is the lack of sampled hip-hop bits, now SOP for even the fairest singer-songwriter.

Lucinda Williams - LUCINDA WILLIAMS (1988)

Hard to imagine such a basic-sounding record could take eight years to record, but this one did. Not sure if she kept re-recording it to perfection, or was merely outwaiting intrusive producers.

11. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Gordon Lightfoot-Dream Street Rose and Shadows both do not sound dated at all in fact, there are hardly any Lightfoot albums that sound sonically dated, IMO, only the strings on a lot of his 70s recordings are what dates them 70s albums.

12. JohnT

JohnT Senior Member

:thumbsup:

13. BeatleFred

BeatleFred Senior Member

Joan Armatrading- Walk Under Ladders

Lindsey Buckingham- Law and Order

Elvis Costello/Attractions- Trust

Hall & Oates- Private Eyes

Adam & The Ants- Kings Of the Wild Frontier

Dire Straits- Brothers in Arms

Bob Dylan- Infidels

Stones- Tattoo You

The Smiths- Strangeways, Here We Come

The Bongos- Drums Along The Hudson

Dated or not, these 10 are all Great to listen to.

Regards,

B/F

14. nashreed

nashreed New Member

The whole concept of this thread irks me a little... Give me "dated", if that's what you want to call it, over the crap production of the 00's anyday. I know some of you guys love the 80's as much as I do, but even what you would consider "cheezy" 80's sounding drums or whatever is so 1000% better than what is on the top 40 right now it's insane. Give me "cool" 80's, dated 80's- it's all good!! Literally, I can look at the top 100 or top 200 albums from any year 80'-'85 and see nothing but good music. A lot of it that I didn't get into at the time, I can discover and enjoy now.

How about 80's music that was ahead of its time and still sounds fresh now? I think Big Audio Dynamite for starters was very innovative and still sounds fresh as a daisy now. Much more "now" sounding than the crap on the radio.

James

15. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Metallica's "Master Of Puppets" LP. 'Specially the DCC ;)

16. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I'd say none of EC's 80's albums sound dated really, except for obviously Goodbye Cruel World and Punch the Clock, and maybe Spike.

17. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

T-Bone Burnett- "Proof Through The Night"
    Eric Clapton- "Money and Cigarettes"
    The Kinks- "Give The People What They Want"
    Marshall Crenshaw- (debut-1982)
    Crowded House (all four)
    George Harrison- "Cloud 9"
    Stevie Ray Vaughan- (all five)
    John Lennon- "Double Fantasy"
    Grateful Dead- "In The Dark"

18. jroyen

jroyen Forum Resident

Soft Cell | Non-Stop Erotic Cabaret
    Flock of Seagulls | A Flock of Seagulls
    The Human League | Dare
    Frankie Goes to Hollywood | Welcome to the Pleasuredome

Sorry, wrong list. :)

19. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

GNR- Appetite
    U2- Joshua Tree
    P. Gabriel - So
    P. Collins- Face Value
    N. Young- Freedom

20. Dave D

Dave D Done!

hmmmm....that one sounds dated to me.....it's got that "birth of the compact disc" chilliness to it. The music is great though.

21. alugjk

alugjk Senior Member

I agree - there are a lot of great albums from the first half of the 80s that I have discovering only recently,and I am sure there are many more.
    Certainly the production on some of them tells you right away when it was recorded, but does that make it bad music?

-George

22. Tim Wright

Tim Wright New Member

EW & F and Ronnie Laws various works.

23. :thumbsup:
    :agree: :thumbsup:
    :thumbsup:

:agree: :agree: :thumbsup:
    The patent and copyright date on the CD cover show 1989. What a great album. I really pushed this when I was working in music retail.

Attached Files:

• jf3.jpg
      jf3.jpg
      File size:
      93.9 KB
      Views:
  24. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

To me, that sounds dated, although I don't dislike it. It sounds like a lot of other 80s punk. I would probably pick one of their later albums like "New Day Rising", personally.

Regards,

25. What is it with Land Speed Record lately? :confused: Everybody seems to be talking about it, well at least two of you. :laugh:
    I agree with you Ken. I'd go with their first Warner album Candy Apple Grey. "Don't Want To Know If You Are Lonely" is one fine song. Great video too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.