What albums from the '80's don't sound dated?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audiodrome, Aug 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame

Just as an opinion, this one (as much as I like it) does sound fairly dated to me.

Good call on Ocean Rain.. with the rather sparse acoustic arrangements it wasn't as likely to be a victim of 'bad dating' as other albums employing more synths/processed instruments. I haven't heard anything else by Echo & the BM though.

2. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

I have to mention Squeeze 'cause my goal in life it to see a full Squeeze revival before I die. ;)

"Argybargy" might have sight bit of 80s "new wave" feel but production wise it's gimmick free.

"East Side Story" is a classic from start to finish and will always remain timeless.

"Sweets From a Stranger" is also quite timeless in sound and style, in fact some of the songs even echo the pre-rock standards.

Then something terribly bad happened and Squeeze took a very wrong turn into the worst possible 80s production bombast with "Cosi Fan Tutti Frutti". Good songs, horrible sound.

They came back around with "Babylon and On". A few synth flourishes might give away the era, but overall it's a solid gimmick-free production.

I also agree with other's lists that include everything from Los Lobos, Crowded House, and REM.

Dan C

3. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

Not that it's a bad thing, after all.

IMHO, the 80's were all about happiness and cheer. The 90's are a lot darker and moodier. HL & The News were, thus, as dated as their peers due to this fact (along with Cyndi Lauper, The Cars, Billy Idol, The Go-Go's, and almost anyone else I can think of :) )

4. Hoser Rob

Hoser Rob Member

Roxy Music - "Avalon"

5. Mark H

Mark H Senior Member

Springsteen's Born in the USA Lp
    Joan Jett's first couple of Lps
    Tom Petty just about all of 'em

6. Graham Start

Graham Start Forum Resident

I would argue that the 70s were all about happiness and cheer, and the 80s were darker (with the 90s being darker still).

I can't remember if it was Benny or Bjorn, but one of the fellows in Abba said not too long ago that nobody seemed to want to hear happy, upbeat music in the 80s.

The Smiths, New Order, Soft Cell, and all that cold-war-angst rock music is very 80s, and there's not a lot of happiness there...

7. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I'm surprised at all the mentions of U2's albums, since I think Steve Lilywhite's big-bam-boom production is one of the more dated styles of the eighties. I love WAR, even laid down the bucks for the MFSL gold disc, but the drum sound screams "eighties!"

8. Bruce Burgess

Bruce Burgess Senior Member

Everything by the Police, U2 and the Bangles still sound good to me.

9. Roland Stone

FWIW, I'd rank Julia Fordham's albums thus:

1. PORCELAIN
    2. EAST WEST
    3. FALLING FORWARD
    4. CONCRETE LOVE
    5. SWEPT
    6. JULIA FORDHAM

The COLLECTION anthology is unusually well-selected, so that's as good a place to start as any. I'm somewhat baffled by her lack of big success, considering her talent and, well, looks (someone posted cover art above; she modeled on the side while shopping demos in London). Seems like the total package for our video-driven era, but I've only seen the one for "Manhattan Skyline."

The only thing I can think of is that she hasn't done the Diane Warren-style power ballad crossover, for which I am thankful. I still can't forgive Chrissy Hynde for "I'll Stand By You."

10. Peter Allen

Peter Allen New Member

King Crimson - Discipline / Beat / Three of a Perfect Pair

It's cheating since it wasn't released in the '80s, just recorded then, but I'll include it anyway;

King Crimson - Absent Lovers (1984 live)

11. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Ron,

I bought Porcelain at Tower Records on Saturday for $9.99 as a result of your recommendation. Unfortunately, there are a few new CDs/SACDs ahead of it in the queue, so I can't post my thoughts on it yet. In fact, it's "Avalon" on SACD right now for the first time - wow!

Regards,
    Geoff

12. Peter Allen

Peter Allen New Member

Question is - is this a bad thing, or a sign of originality? For example, could Little Richard's classics been recorded at any other time than the '50s?

Anyway, forget the theory, I have to add;

Dire Straits - Love Over Gold (to Brothers In Arms, that everyone else has picked)

Bob Dylan - Oh Mercy

Bob Dylan - Infidels + the outtakes from Bootleg Series Vol 1-3
    This one's a DIY combination. There was a masterpiece album here, trouble is most of it got left on the cutting room floor.

Laurie Anderson - Big Science / Mister Heartbreak

13. mrstats

mrstats Senior Member

Bob Dylan - Infidels
    Rolling Stones - Tattoo You
    John Fogerty - Centerfield

14. Roland Stone

It's BLACK AND BLUE. Come to think of it, SOME GIRLS sounds pretty good, too, when it wants to: "Beast of Burden," "Miss You." While we're on the subject, I was always surprised that "Hand of Fate" wasn't the single off BLACK AND BLUE, instead of "Hot Stuff." "Hand of Fate" is probably the most immediately likable, Classic Rock-styled track most listeners haven't heard from The Rolling Stones.

15. Matt Ellers

Matt Ellers Senior Member

16. Matt Ellers

Matt Ellers Senior Member

17. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

No one's saying that "dated" = "BAD". Or maybe they are, but I don't think so. Something can sound distinctly like a product of its era - ie, dated - but still be excellent.

I must say I disagree with a lot of these choices. Many are excellent albums but have a sound that isolates them in their eras. For example:

Springsteen's "Born in the USA" and "Tunnel Of Love". Both are extremely Eighties sounding albums. They have that thinness and excessive reverb typical of the era - especially "USA". Both are good stuff - especially "Tunnel" - but they're definitely dated. Of Bruce's Eighties material, "Nebraska" totally avoids any dated essence - kind of inevitable given its spare production - and I think "The River" also doesn't sound like an Eighties album. It's thin but not in that echoey way typical of most Eighties music.

Lauper's "She's So Unusual". C'mon, folks - it doesn't get much more dated that this! I listened to it recently for the first time in years and found it a bit tough to take due to the production. It includes some fine material, but it just screams "Eighties cheese" in the production.

18. lsupro

lsupro King of Ignorers

is there something wrong with dated?

I love the 80's sound!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.