DCC Archive What am I hearing??,, Digital "artifacts"?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Uncle Al, Jan 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member Thread Starter

Friday night I got in the mood for "Mad Dogs and Englishmen", so I whipped out my original A&M US vinyl pressing and gave it a spin. Needless to say it satisfied (as always). I was a little perturbed by the "bacon frying" crackle that accompanied some vinyl that has seen many a good time.

Saturday afternoon I inadvertently found myself in a mall, wandering through a Circut City, and thought I would "upgrade" my copy to the latest CD mastering of this Joe Cocker title.

Not having much time when I got home, I programmed in "Space Captain" and settled down for a quick 5 minute groove before going out. The track sure sounded "crisper" than my vinyl - I wasn't surprised, I expected this. However when the chrorus came in, and that band and choral hit a peak - I wanted to shreik. The "warmness" of the vinyl was gone. There was an annoying distortion that seemed to surround everything in the mid high to high frequencies. The closest thing I can compare it to is "edge enhancement" that you may add to a photograph (.jpg) file, or that may be evident in the picture on a poorly mastered DVD - it looks clearer at first, then you notice an annoying halo around the images.

Is this what "digital artifacts" sound like? I have often heard the term - but never understood what was "audible" when music was so described.

[ January 06, 2002: Message edited by: Uncle Al ]

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Sounds like a digital workstation "maximizer" at work to me.

Shaves off all of the dynamic peaks so when it really gets loud, it just sounds bad.

In the old days, the good tube limiters and compressors were not this brutal with the sound, so you got a nice warm overload.

Not anymore.

But it's not the sound of "digital". It's just the sound of bad mastering....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.