What Am I Missing In Sgt Pepper's Mono LP?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alexbunardzic, Mar 20, 2017.

1. alexbunardzic

alexbunardzic Active Member Thread Starter

I thought it's the other way around -- didn't they crank up "Long Long Long" in stereo?

2. alexbunardzic

Someone recently called urban myth on that, claiming that it is a myth that the Beatles never cared about stereo mixes and left immediately after the mono mixes were done. Forgot the sources, but they claim that studio logs tell a different story.

3. markbrow

markbrow Forum Resident

On both Sgt. Pepper and the White Album, I focused too much on picking up the differences in the mix, extra sounds, etc. I was trying too hard.
    My takeaway now is that just the whole feel of the music is different in mono. I really like the White Album in mono, and Pepper is a different sonic experience as well.

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Audiophile Music Mastering Your Host

This entire thread is an urban myth.

5. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks Forum Resident

A couple of tips, just in case you aren't in the know:
    Sum the channels with a mono switch or a Y-connector.
    If you don't have a mono switch (or even if you do), you can turn the balance to one side for the true, old-fashioned "one-speaker mono" sound, which some folks really enjoy.
    I'm assuming you know the tricks, but here are some solid pieces of advice:
    I prefer the tempo slower. I prefer the mix mono. The slower version sounds more natural, including the instruments.
    It's just my opinion, that's all.
    Peace!
    (just noticed I posted earlier without finishing the message...sorry about that! :laughup: )

6. Raving Russell

Raving Russell Forum Resident

2012 Mono Remaster? Fake vinyl.

stereoptic and LivingForever like this.
  7. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

Blew my mind the first time I heard it in mono, after years of listening to the rushed stereo mixes

8. Michael P

Michael P Forum Resident

While the overall volume might be "cranked up" the vocal is buried. I never heard the mono, however I'd love to hear what George is singing. "How I Love You" is about the only line I can remember outside of the title. The vocal is more like an instrument playing the melody (or at least that's how it's currently trapped in my brain).

9. Vinyl Socks

I'm assuming he meant "2014".

10. alexbunardzic

I think the track is noticeably quieter on the pre-2009 remaster pressings. Then they cranked it up after they refurbished the original master tapes in 2009. I kind of prefer it louder, gives that song a new lease on life. I always thought it's a terrific song, learned to play it on guitar ages ago, and still like to play it every now and then.

11. Bobsblkwax

Bobsblkwax Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with the stereo mix. She's Leaving Home should have been left off the record entirely.

12. alexbunardzic

I disagree. I don't think "She's Leaving Home" would have been a good single.

13. markbrow

markbrow Forum Resident

If it had been left off it would have been the Holy Grail of the Anthology series and praised as a masterpiece.

ibanez_ax, videoman and andrewskyDE like this.
  14. Jack White

Jack White Forum Resident

I much prefer the stereo mix.

dalem5467 likes this.
  15. alexbunardzic

Dude, details. Don't leave me hanging...

16. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

Both mixes have their strengths and weaknesses. The mono has more punch. The stereo is more trippy. Enjoy listening to the mix you like more.

17. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Forum Resident

Like whatever mix you prefer. You like the stereo. For the UK pressing I much prefer the Mono because it has far better tonal balance. The German Apple "echte Sgt Pepper" has a stereo mix with more propulsive bass. I find that stereo pressing fine. YMMV. I think the stereo mixes of the 60s were poor for the most part. By the 70s they are mostly good. Practice makes perfect.

Gavinyl likes this.
  18. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

If it does nothing for you, you're not missing anything. My take on the mono Beatle albums is that they matter significantly as original, alternate mixes to the more common stereo mixes of arguably the most important band of our time (my all time favorite, anyway).

The differences between the mixes matter most to completists (of which I'm one) who want it "all". Are there certain qualities in the mono Pepper which makes it "better"? It's all a matter of opinion. While it's a must-have for me (it has the most blatant mono/stereo differences of any single Beatle LP), I honestly prefer the stereo. I feel it's a "tighter" sounding mix and the tracks sound much 'cleaner" to me (the edit between clucking hen and guitar that goes into the reprise is infinitely smoother...can anyone truly argue that?).

I know a few Beatle fans who need to have both mixes of all the albums...that said, in terms of SOUND, not every mono version-including that of Pepper-always wins out.

19. alexbunardzic

I find many of the Beatles albums and compilations sound really good on my stereo. Abbey Road is probably the nicest sounding in their entire catalog (to my ears, at least). I also like how Help sounds, and also like Magical Mystery Tour and White Album etc.

But for some reason I always feel that Sgt. Pepper could sound a bit better. So I'm always thinking that my pressing is not the best. I was pretty sure that the most recent mono remaster, which came with the "Made in Germany" sticker (guaranteeing some sort of quality control), will blow me away in terms of sound quality. Still, I remain underwhelmed. I think that Rubber Soul, Revolver, Magical Mystery Tour, White Album, even Yellow Submarine sound better than Pepper. Not sure why is that, why so much hard work they put into Pepper didn't result in shinier sonic picture?

20. Bobsblkwax

Bobsblkwax Well-Known Member

I'm not saying it would have made a good single either.

21. alexbunardzic

(gasp!) Are you saying what I think you're saying? Removing "She's Leaving Home" altogether from the Beatles catalog?!?!?!?!

I'll pretend I didn't read this.

22. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

The reason for this is that it was recorded on four track which required lots of track-bouncing (combining tracks to make room for more "open" ones for added instrumentation/vocals). To my ears, this resulted in an overall cluttered sound for some of the songs. In "condensed" form (my alternate word for "mono) all this action becomes even more cluttered. yes, some of the tracks have more "punch" and all that but to me, they sound better on the stereo version where it sounds like they're given some aural leg-room.

All that said, I'm hoping real hard for a remix of the entire album sourced from the original, unbounced, multitrack tapes. decades ago we were led to believe that these were not in existence...Gile Martin's work on the L O V E project has proven otherwise.

23. Bill Larson

Bill Larson New Member

I'm curious what people think of this "Mirror Spock" mix. Apparently this person dissembled the mono mixes (a la Rock Band) and reassembled the parts in a stereo mix, similar to the official stereo mix.

I haven't compared track-by-track, and I'm wondering whether they used some of the stereo mixes within the whole thing, or if every single track is a deconstruction/reconstruction.

MEGA

24. alexbunardzic

Yes, the holy grail of music deserves to be given the freshest sonic treatment. Overall, the official Pepper mix (whether stereo or mono) sounds rather unremarkable when compared to their albums that both preceded Pepper and followed it. It's a shame that we cannot get a better sonic quality out of those epochal sessions.

25. Vinyl Socks

A personal favorite for the harmonies by John and Paul...