What are some competitors to the Oppo 105D?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MonkeyMan, Jul 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Good suggestion.

2. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

3. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

The Marantz CD8004/CD8005 would be my choice for a standalone SACD/CD player in that price range.

Comments from one member saying "Marantz is too soft"? What does that even mean. I also don't buy into the "after 100 hours it really came to life" thinking. After 100 hours, you're simply used to the sound.

I've looked at the Oppo line and think they're intriguing for a one box solution but that's not what I've looked for in the past and am not in the market now.

Shel, Tullman, formu_la and 1 other person like this.
  4. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

My Oppo 7000R sounds much better than the Oppo with cd playback. I really like my Oppo 105d but hearing the Oppo playing SACD side by side with my Esoteric (yes, I know it's not fair), I am underwhelmed with the sound.

If someone is looking for a universal blu-ray player the Oppo is it, but for CD and SACD I think you can do better.

Dave, MonkeyMan and formu_la like this.
  5. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

6. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

That looks pretty cool. Doesn't seem to be available in the US though.

Personally, I'd probably get a Marantz 8000 series over an Oppo (well, no probably about it, I did!) if blu-ray isn't on your menu. Note that I'm not really sold on the idea that something that doesn't also play Blu-Rays inherently plays CD/SACDs better, but there are better deals to be had on these then the Oppos if nothing else. I got my SA8004 for $550 IIRC.

Linger63 likes this.
  7. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member

My local shop has all but given up on selling any cd players to customers unless they are looking for something specific. Oppo did such a bang up job on their analogue outs it was trouncing players several times it cost.

8. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

9. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

It doesn't trounce my Onkyo 7000R on cd playback and they cost about the same, not to mention my K-05 that I did a side by side comparison that made the Oppo sound like a cheap 90s cd player. I would like to know what $8400. player the Oppo trounced.

Dave likes this.
  10. james

james Summon The Queen

Does any CD player in 2015 really TROUNCE another?

11. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

It'd need to be pretty bad that's for sure. Even a PS1 will turn in a great performance.

Metralla likes this.
  12. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I'd say its more about personal preferences and tonal balance with the rest of your system. Right now I'm listening to my Oppo 93 NuForce edition, which sounds a lot different then my Marantz 8004 side by side. The former is more "musical", the latter more "HiFi". Different folks might prefer either one, no right or wrong answer really.

13. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly? Thread Starter

I'm considering upping my budget to $3k, for a great CD/SACD two channel stereo player. I wonder if that gets me within striking distance of the least expensive Accuphase?

14. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Most certainly!

Shvartze Shabbos and Linger63 like this.
  15. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

In my system I've had the Oppo 105, the Marantz SA-8005 and the Sony XA-5400ES. The Sony is my day-to-day player, so I could be biased; the other two were "burned-in" for about 400 hours without listening to them before comparing. I posted comparisons but I can't find them right now. Anyway, the 105 was more "hi-fi", very clear, very delineated, and a bit analytical. The 8005 has tremendous bass, really nice soundstage and depth, and is more musical in that it's a bit laid back, but I wouldn't call it soft. The Sony does best on Redbook CDs, which is why I kept it, but if I didn't have it the 8005 would be a no-brainer.

John K.

16. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

One is more "hi-fi" the other is more "musical"? One guy says one thing about Oppo and Marantz and another guy says the opposite. "400 hours" for burn-in? What on earth changes after 16.67 days of playing? How can you tell the difference, assuming you played them for 400 hours straight? Memory of how it sounded 16 days earlier? If you played them for 10 hours a day, how do you compare what they sounded like 40 days earlier??

I just don't get it.

Shel, shirleyujest, William K and 2 others like this.
  17. No experience with Oppo but FWIW WhatHiFi was not too impressed with it for CD playback - the following is a quote from their review.

It’s a highly listenable sound, but by the higher standards of dedicated music players it’s clear that the Oppo could do with more agility and crisper rhythmic drive. The bass could be a little tauter, too – it's weighty but doesn't always tell you as much as the precise Pioneer BDP-LX88.

As it is, music sounds a touch relaxed and relaxing, even when the source material isn’t meant to be.

In musical terms we think the BDP-105D is broadly the standard of a good disc player like the Marantz CD6005, which is still way better than any rival we’ve heard manages. Even the Oppo’s headphone output sounds good, mirroring the performance heard through the standard line-level connections.

18. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

That's because you have (quite respectable) mid-range gear and feel you know all there is to know, and are oddly dismissive of people that have experiences with gear you're not familiar with. :tiphat:

19. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I would have to agree with you in that how can one really recall the differences in such a large span of time.

Bill

20. mongo

mongo Senior Member

True.
    Pretty much the same guts if not the same guts as the Oppo.
    The one big difference is Oppo support.
    Not saying that Cambridge support is not good because I have no idea, but I can count on one hand the number of companies
    that have exemplary support in any industry and Oppo is as good as it gets.
    Certainly being in North America helps and Cambridge support in the UK or Europe may be excellent but you're going to be relying on the dealer network.
    With Oppo, you're communicating directly with the company.

Bill Mac likes this.
  21. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

That's horsecrap. You explained absolutely nothing. But thanks for trying to insult me for asking a legit question. Didn't work though.

22. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

No - a legit question would have been "So Rolltide, what do you mean when you say one is musical, and one is more HiFi?"

Asking people what the hell kind of malarky they're talking about isn't "asking a legit question". Your whole trolling-then-pleading-innocent bit is a tad obvious I'm afraid.

23. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Ah, the old calling a person a troll tactic. That too is horsecrap.

24. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Ignore

2channelforever likes this.
  25. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

What changes? The player will have 16 days less to live.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.