What are some forgotten 70s/80s songs that never appeared on any CD compilations?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by steeler1979, May 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Yes, but does it sound as good as my Peters Productions Natural Sound reel? That is superb. I'll likely get it and report back. Have the LP somewhere at work.

2. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

3. Downsampled

Downsampled Senior Member

So what would you call that version of "Evil Woman"? The radio edit?

4. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I don't know. Sometimes edits were made to approximate the actual 45 for whatever reason. Whenever there is a question of what the true 45 version is, I just find the original hit 45, or a copy of it so I may be able to duplicate the edits using a better source.

5. Has "Drivin'" by Pearl Harbor and The Explosions ever appeared on CD? I don't recall ever seeing it (the original single version mind you) that was on 415 Records.

6. Galaga King

Galaga King "Drive where the cops ain't"

This thread is about songs that rarely appear on compilations.

7. winopener

winopener Forum Resident

Sometimes it's very hard to know *if* a specific song appeared in digital format somewhere, so information can be related to local releases and not widely distribuited. For example, I've been looking for ages for the full 12" mix of Laurent Voulzy "Rockcollection" (originally a French production and a BIG hit in Europe for the summer 1978) and discovered just some months ago that RCA *Argentina* put out this in 1995 - and of course it's OOP by more than a decade. :realmad:

8. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

It's available on "Just Can't Get Enough: New Wave Hits Of The '80s, Vol. 3" :righton:

9. steeler1979

steeler1979 Darren from Nashville Thread Starter

That series in general has some decent moments.

10. Grant

Or different versions of a song not commonly found on CD.

11. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

In that case, the 45 edit of Changes In Latitudes, Changes In Attitudes is not on CD.

12. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

13. Ezekiel Porter

Ezekiel Porter Forum Resident

14. Downsampled

Downsampled Senior Member

15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Pat Downey's excellent Top 40 Music on CD website has a fairly in-depth list of all the Top 40 charted pop hits of the last 60 years, and where you can find them on CD. The limitation is, the list only includes legitimate American CDs, and omits some mail order and all foreign CDs. Plus, I believe Downey uses Cash Box's chart info and not Billboard's, due to copyright issues.

I think out of the 4,636 Top 40 hits of the 1970s and 1980s, there's about 120 songs that are not available at all on CD. And there's probably another 400-500 from that same period that are extremely difficult to find on CD, but are available (barely). Plus probably 1000 single edits that are either unable or hard to find.

16. steeler1979

Great info! Thanks!

Another couple are Supertramp's "It's Raining Again" and "My Kind Of Lady" from "Famous Last Words".

17. Atari265278

Atari265278 Forum Resident

I don't think that John Schneider's version of "It's Now or Never" (#14, 1981) has ever appeared on CD.:shake:

18. steeler1979

It's on k-tel's "Behind Closed Doors", a 1993 compilation of (sex) suggestive country flavored songs. It sounds pretty decent too.

Atari265278 likes this.
  19. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

There was a great 'Glam' era single by John Rossall (who at the time was the leader of the Glitterband) called 'I Was Only Dreaming'. I've seen it turn up on a German Glam compilation but never an English one.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCoQMyiUvq4

20. NUNZI

NUNZI Forum Resident

"Everybodys Got to Learn Sometime" by The Korgis, it must exist somewhere but I have yet to see it.

21. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Isn't this on Bee Gees 'Here At Last - Bee Gees Live'
    Also on the 'Tales...' Box set.

Darryl

22. ivan_wemple

ivan_wemple Senior Member

23. havenz

havenz Forum Resident

"Set it Straight" - Red Hot Chili Peppers
    Played live in the 80's movie "Tough Guys" with Burt Lancaster and Kirk Douglas, but is not on the soundtrack and to my knowledge, never released officially. If I am wrong about this. let me know! I would love to hear the full track. Even better if it's a studio recording!

24. Grant

The 45 is edited.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  25. ivan_wemple

ivan_wemple Senior Member

Grant, he boldfaced a track in the text that he quoted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.