What are some forgotten 70s/80s songs that never appeared on any CD compilations?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by steeler1979, May 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Ah! I didn't see that. My eyes aren't that good this morning. Fixed.

2. NUNZI

NUNZI Forum Resident

3. McLover

McLover Senior Member

One to add to this list. Tierra/Together. Another lost Boardwalk classic, even the Boardwalk issue is sourced from a needledrop.

4. Grant

Huh? I have it on several CD comps.

5. McLover

McLover Senior Member

For a long while it was not common on CD. What is your favorite CD source for it?

6. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

7. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I haven't heard the 45 in years, sounded familiar.

Darryl

8. Grant

The file I have is a needledrop or it, or was edited from the CD.

9. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

I know the Meco compilation was mentioned previously re: the Close Encounters disco track but it's also on this amusing and quirky compilation:

http://www.amazon.com/Movie-Themes-Disco-Jazz-Club/dp/B003616M6G

Irene Cara's Why Me? and The Dream were mentioned previously. You can get the long version of Why Me? on What a Feelin' but the shorter version I'm not sure is on CD.

10. thecdguy

thecdguy Forum Resident

I think the original U.S. 45 versions of the Stars On 45 singles (with the exception of the first one, which was on one of the "Then: Totally Oldies" comps) have never appeared on CD, even on compilations. Been looking for those for years.

I think the original 45 of Double's "The Captain Of Her Heart" finally appeared on one of the "Hard To Find 45's On CD" volumes released a few years ago. (Always loved that series of comps and really look forward to each time new ones come out). Even the album version was hard to find for years. I know it was on the "Living In Oblivion" CD and also on a K-Tell CD called, "Romantic Hits Of The 80's". The latter collection also included another hard to find song, Sa-Fire's "Thinking Of You".

One song I looked years for was Marty Balin's "Atlanta Lady (Something About Your Love)". I finally found it on a comp called "Cool Rock" and I'm guessing it's the single version, because it runs about 20 seconds shorter than the album version, and seems to have an extra guitar added in a few different times.

I love Giant Steps' "Another Lover" and it may very well never have been issued on a compilation. That's kind of surprising considering it was a very catch pop tune and did very well on the charts (#13 in the US). Its parent album, "The Book Of Pride", could probably be easily found used on Amazon or Ebay.

Soulsister's "The Way To Your Heart" was another great, catchy pop tune that for years wasn't easily found anywhere, even on compilations (and still really isn't). There was a comp in the late 90's (from EMI, I believe) called "Lost Hits Of The 80's" which, according to the back cover, claimed to have included the song. When I looked at the actual CD, I was shocked to find that it WASN"T listed among the tracks printed on the CD and, sure enough when played, the song was nowhere to be found. I was really P.O'd because I bought that compilation just for that one song alone, after seeing it on the back cover.

Just wanted to make mention of these particular songs because they're among my favorite "Forgotten" hits. I'm sure I'll think of more.

11. NOS300B

NOS300B The Moon Queen

"OK - UK" (or anything else) by The Smirks

12. JimC

JimC Senior Member

Just found Lost Hits of the '80s last night (EMI). Missing that Soulsister track. Wonder if there was a previous version?

13. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I recently just downloaded "The Way To Your Heart" into my iTunes library directly from their EMI CD "It Takes Two"

JimC likes this.
  14. andy749

andy749 Senior Member

Used to hear all these on radio where I lived. Always liked 'em.
    Automatic Man - "My Pearl"
    Elf - "L.A.'59"
    Winter Bros. - "Smokey Mtn. Log Cabin Jones"
    James Gang - "Cruisin' Down the Highway"
    Spirit - "Cadillac Cowboys"
    Johnny Winter "Boney Maroney"
    Splinter - "Costa Fine Town"

15. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Does that have-Times Two-Strange But True on it? I think that single only appeared on a limited amount of comps

16. Kym

Kym Former Resident

c-eling likes this.
  17. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Thanks Kym, completely forgot about that song until recently going through some of my old CD's for ripping, It got limited radio play around here

18. Kym

Kym Former Resident

The Book of Pride album has gotten easier to find on CD over the years.

However, the promo CD single for "(The World Don't Need) Another Lover" is still a rarity:
    http://www.discogs.com/Giant-Steps-The-World-Dont-Need-Another-Lover/release/2366822

I'm grateful for my copy, as the "New Bass" edit of the song is my favorite version.

19. JimC

JimC Senior Member

No, not on that one.

c-eling likes this.
  20. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Wow, I haven't heard that song for a long time and I know that I have that promo CD with the "New Bass" edit on it and I'll have to dig that one up soon!

21. thecdguy

thecdguy Forum Resident

Supposedly, some copies of the CD had the song, and other copies (like mine) had the song listed on the back cover, but was replaced by another song on the actual CD itself. I was finally able to track down the "It Takes Two" CD a few years later on eBay. Can't remember how much I paid for it. Since then, I've found a CD single that has extended and instrumental versions of the song, and a few years ago I finally tracked down a promo CD single that had the AC mix that was included on the original cassette single that I had from 1989. That promo CD seems to be EXTREMELY rare, even more than the "It Takes Two" CD. Glad I found them, though.

I also found that CD on eBay. Back in 2001, I believe. I was overjoyed because I knew it had the remix that I wanted. I remember I walked home from work on my lunch hour to bid on it the day the auction ended. I bid over $100 and won (although I can't remember what the final auction price was). The only time I remember spending over $100 for a CD was "The Goonies" Soundtrack from eBay in 2000. At that time, it was the only CD I knew of that had Cyndi Lauper's "The Goonies 'R' Good Enough".

JimC likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.