What Are Some Of The Best MM/User Replaceable Stylus Carts Out There?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by EdogawaRampo, Feb 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drewan77

Drewan77 Forum Resident

I also found the 2M Black a bit top heavy & bright on my 'other' table which has a continuous 1m tonearm loom into the phono stage. However, now using shorter, low capacitance 55pf interconnects (Graham Slee CuSat 0.6m) on an SL1200G, treble is now smooth & sweet. Percussion has just the right amount of sparkle/delicacy and (many!) female vocals have lost a slight hard edge - a few albums that had a touch of sibilance are all improved too. I was also able to directly test this out on the same table/tonearm by comparing with some 1m Chord Chamelion interconnects - the brightness immediately reappeared.

Exactly the same result with an AT150ANV which was also slightly too bright previously but is now just as sweet.

Very satisfying & quite educational to see the contribution interconnect capacitance can make into a phono stage. I am extremely happy with the 2M Black now and it's back in regular use.

snorker and H8SLKC like this.
  2. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Yes, capacitance does make a big difference in these cartridges. My preamp allows me to adjust the capacitance, but you've got to start with a pretty low capacitance cable to begin with to get in the correct range for most cartridges.

3. Heckto35

Heckto35 Forum Resident

That's not a good reason at all! That stylus has too much of a great advantage of mind blowing detail, that writing it off because of noise (which is not the bad to begin with) is pretty silly.

4. CJ-James

CJ-James New Member

Old thread but not beyond a bump.

I've recently asked LP gear this question and had a brief message exchange with Rome from LP Gear. Here's what he says: -
    For context, start at the bottom and work up to get the full thread flow.

Hello James,
    In my opinion, the R3SV is better than the Nagaoka MP-200 and the BIN323. It has more spatial dimension, detail and clarity. The latter two I would completely be satisfied with if I never get to hear the R3SV. That's life, sometimes you don't know what you're missing until you hear a better cartridge, then the dissatisfaction sets in.
    Best regards,
    Rome
    LP GEAR

On Mon, Jan 20, 2020 at 5:31 AM James wrote:
    Hi Rome:
    Thank you so much for the direct reply. I’ve done a bit more investigating and I wonder if you could add one more cartridge to the mix.
    How would you compare your Vessel R3SV (the reviews make it a very attractive option), to the Nagaoka MP-200 or the LPGear Bin 323?
    Thanks again,
    James

On Jan 19, 2020, at 9:39 AM, LP GEAR wrote:

Hi James,

From your choices The MP200 is an excellent cartridge. So is the 2M Bronze. Of the two we recommend the MP-200.

We have a MC cartridge that is better than the Dynavector 10X: BIN323.

Have a great day,
    Rome
    LP Gear

On Sat, 18 Jan at 8:19 PM , James wrote:
    Hello LP Gear,
    Your contact form has been submitted by James
    Here is what they have to say:

Their Questions or Comments: Hi; I am considering several cartridges as an upgrade to my current configuration and would like some advice about the best fit for my set up.
    Set Up: Sony PS-X70 Turntable - LP Gear ATN95SA (primary) and Audio Technica Singnet TKN22 for more beat up records
    Conrad Johnson PV-10A preamp
    Acurus A-150 Amp
    B&W 640i Speakers
    Primary Music Genres: Jazz, Classical, RnB/Soul, Rock

I am intrigued by the LP ear Vessel line, particularly the R3SV. The second cartridge I am considering is the Nagaoka MP-200. I was also looking the Ortofon 3M Bronze, and finally the Dynavector 10x HOMC. - I am open to other suggestions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.