What are the best seasons of Star Trek The Next Generation ?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by sgtmono, Nov 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sgtmono

sgtmono Seasoned Member Thread Starter

I loved watching Star Trek TNG in it's original run. I was probably 10 or 11 years old when the show started.

I've since tried to watch a few random episodes as an adult, and most of them have been mediocre and not very engaging.

I understand the show took some time to build steam and that some seasons are considered by many fans (in hindsight) to be just plain bad.

So, which seasons are sure bets?

ando here and John M Campos like this.
  2. Thwacko

Thwacko Forum Resident

1 and 2 are awful. 3-6 are the best, with a few stinkers sprinkled in. 7 has its moments, and goes out with a bang.

As always, opinions vary.

3. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

End of discussion really. They really found their groove with Season 3, and mostly maintained it from there.

4. BrewDrinkRepeat

BrewDrinkRepeat Forum Resident

For me it's 3, 4 and 5. Most of 6 and half of 7 are great, but not all. 1 is largely awful, and 2 isn't much better. (When it was first aired, I watched "Encounter At Farpoint" and "The Naked Now" and promptly gave up, not returning until friends talked me back in during season four. It wasn't until much later that I went back and watched seasons 1, 2 and 3.

Or, to put it another way: if the uniforms have collars and no piping in the black areas, chances are you're watching one of the better episodes. :)

5. profholt82

profholt82 Resident Blowhard

I was going to say 3, 4, and 5, and it looks like several of you have already beat me to it. 6 is all right, but that's when the series began to dip. The first season had a few decent episodes, and the second had a few more good ones, but season 3 really kicks the series into high gear.

Rooster_Ties, sgtmono and Dr. Pepper like this.
  6. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

I'm cool with seasons 3 thru to the end. There are moments in the first two seasons, but they didn't get their rhythm until season 3.

7. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I'm voting 3 and 4.

My "TNG" experience is probably unusual. Though I saw all the "TNG" movies when they debuted, I'd never seen an actual episode of the series until the DVDs came out in 2002.

And then I watched all seven seasons in nine months!

So I had a real crash course in "TNG". No spreading all 180 episodes out across seven years for me! :)

I liked seasons 3-7, but I thought 3 and 4 worked best. 5-7 all were still good, but I think the quality dropped a wee bit over that span...

8. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

3 and 4 by far! Then 5, 6,7, 2, and 1 in that order.

9. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

I like season 2-5 best. I like season 2 where Dr. Crusher was off, presumably having an alien baby.... ;) By season 2 the actors had figure out how to play their characters. Season 1 really looks awkward. I dislike about every other episode by seasons 6 and 7.

sgtmono likes this.
  10. F_C_FRANKLIN

F_C_FRANKLIN Forum Resident

I agree with a couple of others here. They were at their peak with seasons 3 and 4. "Best of Both Worlds", especially part 1, was intensely brilliant.

sgtmono likes this.
  11. Seasons 1&2 were definitely not well done - the characters and even the makeup were still in flux, not to mention that the FX were pretty poor IMO, but I still liked the story lines on several of the shows. By S3, most things were settled in and they switched head writers and Roddenberry stepped back a bit giving Berman more control.

I watched pretty faithfully for the first 3-4 seasons, but then my schedule changed and I could no longer watch it live. Taped some shows, but frequently forgot. I think I eventually saw them all (although I'm not positive). I'm one of the weirdos who thought the show got better when they gave us the back story on Worf, Sins of the Father being among my very favorite episode(s). I thought they got a bit carried away with the Borg though......

Basically, S3-5 were very good as everybody has already said.

sgtmono likes this.
  12. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

I just don't understand why so many folks don't appreciate season 2. Dr. Pulaski helped develop Mr. Data's character. Q Who and Elementary Dear Data are two my fav' episodes of the entire series. Geordi emerged as an important character.

13. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

I remember when it debuted and I hated it and wanted it to fail. I was a TOS geek/purist. I was probably 16-17 when the first season started. Then friends were talking about how good it was so I decided to check it out. Started watching around season 3 and fell in love with the show. If you're skipping around on Episodes, Yesterday's Enterprise is excellent as is Relics

[​IMG]

I think my personal favorite is Darmok. Just loved that episode! Season 5 I think.

Last summer my wife and I went back and watch the last few seasons of DS 9 that we missed when we didn't have cable or access to it on local TV. It was also not very good early on but I think it became an excellent SciFi show as time went on. The last few seasons of DS 9 are excellent as well.

Edit: Oh yeah, I loved this one too!

[​IMG]
    Chain of Command, if you haven't seen that one you need to check it out.

14. AJH

AJH Senior Member

For me, seasons three, four, and five were the best. Personally, I believe there were a few excellent episodes in season two (especially "Elementary Dear Data") , and a few in seasons six and seven but overall I think the majority of the episodes were declining in quality.

sgtmono likes this.
  15. sgtmono

That's one of the few episodes I remember from when it first aired.

MikeInFla likes this.
  16. BrewDrinkRepeat

BrewDrinkRepeat Forum Resident

But Dr. Pulaski herself was a horrible character, and all of the forced similarities to Dr. McCoy were complete groaners.

The episode w/ Riker's father? Pathetic. "The ultimate evolution of the martial arts" my fanny...!

Erik Tracy and MikeInFla like this.
  17. JPagan

JPagan Generation 13

I'm a Pulaski fan. She definitely made the most of her time aboard the ship.

18. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Also "Reunion" from season 4. I never really cared for Worf until this episode. I always thought he was a wimp until I saw this:

19. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Seasons 3-4-5 for me too, but I also have a soft spot for the 2-part series finale.

20. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

I thought that the series finale was awesome. One of the best series finales ever for any show! I like it better than any of the Next Gen movies.

21. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

As Lenny said in last week's episode of The Simpsons "Season 3 of anything is the best!"

905 likes this.
  22. benjaminhuf

benjaminhuf Forum Resident

But the good seasons still have bad episodes, and the bad seasons still have good episodes. A year ago my teenage son and I came up with out list of our top 40 episodes of the show. Here's what we came up with:

All Good Things
    Chain of Command
    Darmok
    Measure of a Man
    The Inner Light
    The Offspring
    Unification
    Yesterday's Enterprise
    Best of Both Worlds
    Frame of Mind
    The Defector
    Time's Arrow
    Preemptive Strike
    Face of the Enemy
    Redemption
    Cause and Effect
    Arsenal of Freedom
    Parallels
    Time Squared
    Coming of Age
    Remember Me
    Sins of the Father
    Conspiracy
    Family
    A Matter of Honor
    Reunion
    Timescape
    Disaster
    I, Borg
    Ensign Ro
    Night Terrors
    The Next Phase
    Second Chances
    The Game
    A Fistful of Datas
    The Battle
    Ship in a Bottle
    Conundrum
    Evolution
    Relics

polchik and sgtmono like this.
  23. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

The second season is definitely better than the first, but it's still considerably lower than most of what follows.

A lot of praise for 3 here, and while it was immediately better than its predecessors, I think it it (the third season and the show itself) really only hit its stride about 2/3 to 3/4 of the way through the season.

Four, fix and six and the most consistently good seasons, though none are immune to clunkers,

Seven is downright schizophrenic. When it's good, it's good, but there are a couple of episodes that the word clunker doesn't cover. ''Sub Rosa' feel like a first season story, and in 'Emergence,' the Enterprise does crazy and has a baby.

sgtmono likes this.
  24. sgtmono

Wow, thanks!

benjaminhuf likes this.
  25. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

I also would have to say that they really got into their groove with season 3, very few duds in 3 or 4, a few more in 5 and 6 but still loads of excellent stuff to watch.

A few of my faves:
    Deja Q (my fave of the Q episodes)
    Best of Both Worlds (what can you say....the cliffhanger at the end of pt 1 was done superbly...when Picard/Locutus says "Number 1" it's just chilling)
    Conspiracy (one of the best from the first 2 seasons...it ends with them finding the species having sent a homing signal....I'd have thought they might follow up on it at some point but never did)
    The Inner Light (sure, some plot flaws, but still a very good storyline with some excellent work by Patrick Stewart)
    A Matter of Time (I'm a bit of a sucker for the time travel stories and Matt (Max Headroom) Frewer played his role so well I couldn't help but enjoy it)
    Time's Arrow (again, the time travel, and the episode answered a few questions of how certain relationships came to be i.e. Picard & Guinan)

sgtmono likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.