What are the best seasons of Star Trek The Next Generation ?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by sgtmono, Nov 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrewDrinkRepeat

BrewDrinkRepeat Forum Resident

And of course some people believe that is exactly what happened...

Edit: I am not one of those. :)

Encuentro likes this.
  2. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

Sorry but I can't resist:

How do you know that she is a witch?
    Does she weigh the same as a duck?

mBen989 likes this.
  3. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

I can see that you are well versed in scientific method. Ducks are made of wood, as I proved with my deluxe balancing scale. She weighed more than a duck, which means she is not made of wood, and therefore she's a witch. That huge carrot shaped nose is yet another indelible sign that she's, indeed, a witch. ;)

mBen989 likes this.
  4. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

I just watched "Ensign Ro" (S5, E3) and even though I remembered it being a good episode, it was even better than I recalled. It's too bad they didn't keep her around for more than a handful of episodes. She's a great character that gave a much needed edge to the show.

Standoffish likes this.
  5. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

I think they definitely wanted to keep her around, but the actress had other plans for her career.

Solaris likes this.
  6. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

She was asked to reprise her role for DS9. Ro was originally intended for what became the Kira character, but Michelle Forbes declined the role, so the role was rewritten.

7. muffmasterh

muffmasterh Forum Resident

i think most agree that season 1 is awful, however i think season 2 kick started TNG yet undeservedly gets little love, however seasons 3-6 are the best imho, season 7 remains sadly dissapointing. Nothing against Wil Wheaton but i found Wesley an irritating character and the show improved when the main focal point switched from him to Data ( everybody loves Data ) and once Wesley had gone TNG got even stronger and ironically made Wesley's occasional darker return actually became quite welcome

budwhite and HGN2001 like this.
  8. Solaris

I saw "Lower Decks" (s7 E15) the other night and I still can't shake the feeling it left me with. I never saw it when it aired or I would have remembered, but what a punch in the gut. I got the distinct feeling that Picard et al knew with near-certainty that this was one-way mission for Sito and didn't tell her. The unusual perspective of the junior crew worked brilliantly. A great episode, and very affecting.

9. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yes for the most part, but he had his fair share of annoying episodes. These pretty much always centered around him either getting 'emotions' or playing his brother Lore, where he inevitably hams it up to unwatchable levels.

One of the standout Wesley episodes (and TNG episodes in general) was The First Duty. I also liked him with Ashley Judd in The Game.

Luke The Drifter and budwhite like this.
  10. muffmasterh

I agree, but you could kind of forgive Data cos he was such a good character or at least give him some leeway, Wesley for the first two seasons was just annoying.

However i do agree Wesley improved as he ceased being the focus of the show, got his star fleet uniform and his story lines got darker, the game is indeed a very good episode, i also liked his occasional come back episodes which showed him to be darker and more flawed, ...and more believable ( was first duty about the cover up at the academy ?? )

Btw as an aside i am loving the Orville at the moment, i just saw them enter a glory hole lol !! Its such a rip off but when its that enjoyable who cares, so far i've referenced Miri/Archons and the galileo 7 ( or 4 in the case of the glory hole ep ) but there are tons more.

11. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

I recently finished the series. Started with S3. I think The Inner Light was just spectacular for a 40 min episode. That has to be my favorite!

Luke The Drifter likes this.
  12. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I know this is a fan favorite, but it isn't mine. The basic premise is that a selfish, self important species wants so desperately to be remembered after their demise that they would subject innocent bystanders (Picard) to what is basically a lifetime of fake experiences. That's such a cruel and unusual form of punishment that I cannot view the ep in a favorable light (despite the emotional resonance of the events in the ep).

sunspot42 and Blimpboy like this.
  13. Solaris

That's problematic, I agree, but the things that kill it for me are that it looks so cheap and the culture it sketches is so uninteresting. It's a good idea, I just don't appreciate how it was executed. People can make excuses for the constraints of the 40 minute television framework, but "Yesterday's Enterprise" and many others succeed brilliantly within that structure without sacrificing anything.

sunspot42 likes this.
  14. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I just saw this again, so it's fresh in my mind. It was certainly a gut punch episode, one of the best. As far as Picard knowing with near certainty that this was a suicide mission, I would not have quite put it that way. Yes, he certainly knew it was a very dangerous mission, but not necessarily a suicide mission, hence all the precautions.

Nevertheless, he did put the young Sito in a dangerous position where she couldn't realistically refuse the Captain's request (even if he made it clear that it wasn't an order) due to her overwhelming desire to make up for a past misdeed - to prove herself at all costs. I also don't think there were any other Bajorans onboard at the time, so Picard didn't have another option.

Excellent episode!

sunspot42 and Solaris like this.
  15. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

When you sign up for Starfleet, the danger is inherent. How many tough decisions would a captain have to make of this nature? A lot. Kind of like a military commander.

16. Higlander

Higlander Well-Known Member

I like all the seasons, with 2-3 starting to hit it's stride and 4-7 being very good to excellent.
    Season one and 2 are not nearly as bad as I remembered.
    But one thing scares me.
    A lot of things are becoming "Old hat" to me with Next gen. Stuff with Data, all the Worf and Klingon council stuff, Ferrengi, Will crusher, Even counselor troi to some extent.

Hadean75 and muffmasterh like this.
  17. muffmasterh

which is why its daft to have families on board !!

Luke The Drifter likes this.
  18. Blimpboy

Blimpboy Forum Resident

This is one of several ideas from the initial concept of TNG that never was fully realized over the course of the show. The reason for having families on board initially was due to the fact that the crew would be away from their homes for 5 years in deep space. Having a saucer separation was to minimize the danger to the families by moving them away from potentially dangerous situations. Taking the screen time to separate the ship every week would become tedious and boring to the audience. Then you would have two ships to film for the special effects department. that's expensive. When they did a separation in "The Best Of Both Worlds" it was to use both parts of the ship for combat. Putting everyone in danger still. But the whole deep space exploration is negated if you travel to earth or a big star base every season anyway. The crew could have shore leave and see their families.

muffmasterh likes this.
  19. muffmasterh

YEP stupid idea, i guess it got really stupid when Wesley ceased to be the focus of the show and they came into contact with the likes of the borg surgically slicing up the Enterprise exposing dozens to a horrific death - and how many of those were children. Silly silly idea

20. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Another one I quite like is the episode right after Picard's assimilation as a Borg, where he goes back to France to be with family. It's basically a theater play which doesn't happen often in ST. A significantly different episode from most.

sunspot42, Higlander and budwhite like this.
  21. Strat-Mangler

In that universe, being a part of Starfleet fills you up and your family with pride. Starfleet isn't about conquering but rather exploring and opening the lines of communication. It is structured like a military but there are no soldiers in title.

22. Blimpboy

Blimpboy Forum Resident

I enjoy that show too. It did something for me that I never saw in earlier shows. It showed Picard vulnerable. It makes what he does after all the more powerful when you realize how much the Borg experience shook him up. The fact that he considers resigning from Starfleet and living a life with fewer risks. I never cared for the character until then. He was too rigid and let's face it, full of himself. This show, "Family", made him more relateable to me.

sunspot42 likes this.
  23. Strat-Mangler

Apparently, the same thing for the man. According to the other actors, he was quite full of himself and kept reprimanding them for goofing around. With time, he learned you can enjoy yourself *and* do good work. He loosened up considerably after and is probably the goofiest member of that cast, now. An interesting parallel.

Solaris and Blimpboy like this.
  24. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

Every season was hit-or-miss. More misses the first couple of years, though.

I'll take Worf over Yar and Dr. Pulaski over Dr. Crusher. Acting skills >>> looks.

I tend to prefer episodes that give the entire cast a chance to shine (as opposed to "Very Special [Insert Character Name] Episodes").

Hadean75 likes this.
  25. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Yar wasn't given a chance. I don't remember much of her character from the first season, but I'll take her role in "Yesterday's Enterprise" or "All Good Things" over just about anything Worf related. Worf was a buffoon, the worst major character in the entire franchise. The one decent Worf episode is "Parallels," and that's due to the story, not the character. They could have thrown just about any major character into that situation, and it would have been as good or better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.