What are the best sounding high efficiency speakers out there?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by audio, Jul 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. audio

audio New Member Thread Starter

What do you think are the best high efficiency speakers of all time? Klipsch Cornwalls, Khorns, La Scala? Altec A7 horns? Coincident? Loth-X? Silverline? Other?? This thread is about high efficiency speakers. Let the games begin........

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I/m sitting here with Kevin Gray in the studio and he sez without question the Altec A7 Voice Of The Theatres.

3. RussKon

RussKon New Member

khorns....no doubt!!!.... name one other speaker in production for over 50 years!!!!

104 db @ 1 watt @ 1 meter

4. Cafe Jeff

Cafe Jeff New Member

Some goals in life are large. For example, walking on the moon. Others are much more in the real of the possible. Listening to a pair of Altec A7 VOTs in full song is a goal of mine. Jeff

www.lansingheritage.org

5. Drew

Drew Senior Member

Hmmm. I heard my Bottlehead Paramours 2A3 SET's connected to some Altec Voice of the Theatre's at a local audiophile group about 6 months ago and they sounded great. The horns really rang with any solid state amps that we connected to them though. Can't find anyone local with any vintage Klipsch gear.

Whats the cutoff point where a speaker isn't considered high-efficiency anymore?

6. Cafe Jeff

Cafe Jeff New Member

Khorns, the kind you find in your lounge and not on the bottom of your feet, are undoubtedly great speakers, but longevity is not proof of greatness. The VW bug, for example, which has just gone out of production after an over 50 year run, is not the last word in automotive art. Jeff

7. RussKon

RussKon New Member

Khorns, the kind you find in your lounge and not on the bottom of your feet, are undoubtedly great speakers, but longevity is not proof of greatness.

i agree.... but it is an example of what people think is great....the capitalist system has dictated that "if you produce a product people want, they will buy"....

you can get by producing "junk" of any sort by riding a "fad"....but longevity will definitely prove your worth.....

and at today's price....roughly $8,000 a pair..... it better sound good or the buyer will go somewhere else and buy.....

"The VW bug, for example, which has just gone out of production after an over 50 year run, is not the last word in automotive art."

the vw bug was not in production for 50 years straight... there was a gap of many years....15 to 20 years if i'm not mistaken...and then re-introduced with a drastically changed style....

meanwhile the khorn has been produced every year....with subtle driver and crossover upgrades..... many people still prefer the 1960 khorn to the current model..... (very subtle upgrades)......

in an industry that sees speakers come and go faster than the life-span of the average fly...it really is unique to see a high-end speaker survive (and thrive) on a 50 year old design....

Paul W. Klipsch really knew what he was doing when he designed the Khorn......

8. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Do these count? They're 92 db, one watt, one meter.

9. RussKon

RussKon New Member

92db @1 watt @1 meter

efficient???

sorry...... no

good looking speakers...yes.... what are they?

10. Cafe Jeff

Cafe Jeff New Member

Has anyone read the book? I am keen. Jeff

11. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Russ, those are Genesis Model 1.1 loudspeakers. I've never heard them, though I'd like to. Downsides are price ($135,000 for the stereo pair) and size (Four 7.5 foot tall cabinets, all weighing in at around 2,000 pounds). If I were filthy rich, I might buy them even if they sucked, though most reviews I've read have been positive. Where does high efficiency begin? I know some Thiels (fer instance) are rated at 88db, and I KNOW that isn't efficient. Thought 92 was pretty good for a behemoth like the 1.1's.

12. RussKon

RussKon New Member

and what book are you referring to?.....

13. RussKon

RussKon New Member

"Where does high efficiency begin? I know some Thiels (fer instance) are rated at 88db, and I KNOW that isn't efficient."

I'm not sure where "high efficiency begins".... but 92 db is a long ways away from 104 db for the khorns or even 102 db for my klipsch KLF-30's...

remember that for every 3 db you need to DOUBLE your amplifier output!!!!

14. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Possible. Very possible.

I know someone who has these..... or something close. He got them from an old movie theatre.... lives in Ontario....

15. Steve Hoffman

16. audio

audio New Member Thread Starter

17. Steve Hoffman

Those speakers you are describing are quite dangerous unless you play them at low levels. Are you thinking of giving free neighborhood concerts? If not, why would you need speakers that can give 103 db of sound with one watt? Bad on the ears!

18. RussKon

RussKon New Member

that's exactly why you use low power tube amplification to power the
    khorns...104db @ 1watt @1meter....

and perfectly reasonable in a home enviroment....

i believe the term is "quality power" not high power...or... the first watt is more important the the rest of the watts....

19. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

So, did they really sound good behind a screen? What's behind a typical screen these days? Most of the theater sound I've heard has been mediocre to poor.

20. Steve Hoffman

Russ,

Can you fill out your equipment profile for us? It's blank.

Thanks..

21. RussKon

RussKon New Member

just like everything else..there are great theatre sound systems and lousy sound systems...

my favorite theatre in my area uses klipsch pro speakers and stadium seating... overall a very enjoyable experience....

another theatre in my area almost turned me off to ever going to the theatre again because of it's poor picture and sound....

22. RussKon

RussKon New Member

steve,

i will fill it in...

my equipment:

pre/processor: pioneer elite vsx-24tx receiver...(using center and surround amp for speakers - 90 watts per channel)
    main amp: carver tfm-25
    dvd/cd/sacd: sony dvp-650cp
    turntable: B&O RX-2
    dat: sony 75ES
    all plugged into a Surge-X 2120 20 amp surge protector/power conditioner
    mains: Klipsch KLF-30's
    center:KLF-C7
    surrounds:RS-3's
    subwoofer:Velodyne CT-15
    rack: middle atlantic slim 5 rack - 29 spaces w/oak side panels and caster base
    monitor":35" mitsubishi tube tv

23. Steve Hoffman

24. RussKon

RussKon New Member

steve,

just won an auction on ebay for a dynaco sca-35 integrated amp that i plan to use for my klf-30's.....

should be very interesting!!!

25. Tristan

Tristan Member

What about the Avantgarde Acoustic Trios? Or, better yet, the B-D Design Oris 150/200's? These are very high efficiency horns that sound great! I happen to own a pair of the B-D Design 150's with an AER driver that just floors and jaws people! Their website: www.bd-design.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.