What are the "good" Beatles MoFi's

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MMM, Jun 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

As I understand it, some of the Beatles MoFi's are pretty good. I remember Steve saying something about the "Hard Day's Night" MoFi being better than the original UK Parlophone stereo LP, and Angel saying she wants to be buried with her MoFi "Help!", but are any of the others good? I have the "Please Please Me" and it sounds sucked out in the midrange. I prefer my late 60's stereo Parlophone, which I know isn't as good as the German one Steve mentioned somewhere else in this forum (hopefully I'll find one some day). I also have the MoFi "Beatles For Sale". I haven't played it in a while, but I don't remember it sounding too bad, but I prefer my original stereo Parlophone. I've heard that the MoFi "Revolver" sucks. I understand that there is a pretty wide variance of opinion on the MoFi "Sgt. Pepper" - some think it's the best version out there, while others seem to think the highs are jacked up too much. How much different is the UHQR from the standard copy? Is either worth it? And of course the MMT is supposed to be an embarrassment by using the wrong tapes. So, which Beatles MoFi's are good?

MMM

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Abbey Road, Sgt Pepper and Revolver. This, of course, is my own opinion. I'd add HELP! also, as it's also good. The rest seem to go downhill for me.

3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

They all sound great. Their has been some complaints about EQ, I still like them the best, 90% of all the boot CDs are sourced from the MFSL LPs. You could pass on "Magical Mystery Tour". I have a CD of the MFSL "UHQR " "Sgt. Peppers" excellent just a tad better than the other versions out there.

4. JJ3810

JJ3810 Senior Member

Actually, I thought ABBEY ROAD lacked a little midrange and went too far with the low end. My Japanese "PRO SERIES" kills it. I think WITH THE BEATLES sounds pretty great. I know The "WHITE ALBUM" is highly thought of, but it didn't sound as good as I'd hoped it would. "Yellow Submarine" is supposed to be real good, but I've never heard it. I have the first four and I like them all.

5. Michael

The bass on the "White Album" is overkill on the MFSL CDs. Check out 'Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except For Me And My Monkey". If you want straight transfered sound, get the Beat-The Capital Versions of "Meet The Beatles"I compared the CD to an original LP and it was almost identical.
    A fine example of "Meet The Beatles", if that LP is dear to your heart as it is mine.:)

6. MMM

Thanks everyone. I forgot to mention that I have the MoFi "Abbey Road" also. I thought it sounded a little sucked out in the midrange too. It's cut at a low level for some reason.

Where's Steve? I'm surprised not to hear from him on a Beatles question.

MMM

7. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

IMO they all sound better than any official EMI/Capitol CD. Not to say they couldn't all be improved. They're also easier to locate than original EMI UK tube cuttings of the sixties in excellent condition.

I never thought the MFSL Revolver sucked, like some others thought it did.

8. Matt

Matt New Member

See if you can find the Toshiba CD of "Abbey Road" from 1983, the best on CD. No NoNoise, flat transfer from a copy tape made for Japan (a copy, but made flat from the original master).

In an interview Steve did, he mentions that the White Album, the current CD, is a flat transfer from the original tape. Doesn't sound great for a number of reasons (played back on a crappy console, a crappy A/D converter...), but the EQ is right. If you try to fix the EQ on a MFSL-derived CD, maybe you can use the current CD as a guide...

9. MMM

Thanks!!

10. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I agree. The MFSL is accessible in NM and M condition. This vinyl is much better than anything else I have heard since my original sixties versions that are now scratched to hell.

11. Dave B

Dave B Senior Member

Does any one know of a source for the Beat CD's besides eBay? I don't mind paying the price but I can't spend all day and night in a bidding war.

12. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Just bid $500.00 and let the chips fall as they may.:D

13. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

If you are picking up the boxed MFSL set (The Beatles), my copy of that was missing the very end of Sgt Peppers - the chatter. The individual release had this restored in a second pressing, I believe. Otherwise, a great set, if a little smiley.

14. Michael

Hey dave,
    I'll check around for you. Do you have any previous(link addys) to ebay current or completed auctions on the "Beats"? Curious of the going price for the series.

15. Dave B

Dave B Senior Member

Thanks Mike, I can't really say what these are going for now. It's been a while since I bid on any. I'd really like to have quality copies of the US versions of these LPs. I have those Russian 2fers but they really aren't all that great. This would be a really great series for Capitol / EMI to release on SACD - what a boost to SACD player sales huh?

16. Michael

I'll bet it would boost the SACD sales! Now that would be exciting!
    A few of us like the Original American LPs with all the worts. Granted the MFSL Cds are cleaner. Yet, the "American Versions" make me feel better. I'm hopelessly nostalgic.

17. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brotherâ„¢ In Memoriam

You can't beat Help! & Rubber Soul because the MoFi's are the original mixes and not the G.M. re-mixes. As for Abbey Road I like my Japanese EAS series pressing. Sounds real warm to me.

18. Michael

The "Beat" have the American Versions of "Help" with the George Martin instrumentals and James Bond intro! The American version of Rubber Soul has the false start on I'm Looking Through You". The MFSL's have the Original unaltered "English" mixes. Both essential!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.