What are your biggest remaining video wants?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by James Slattery, Nov 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident Thread Starter

After almost 40 years of collecting, there's not a lot left that exists that I'm still after. I mean I would love to get upgrades on some things which I have off 16mm or off-air but for the most part, I can live with what I have on a lot of shows even if they aren't the greatest quality. So, aside from a bunch of series where I'm missing an episode or two to complete the run, probably the remaining episodes of Bus Stop, one of the greatest dramas ever. I'm missing about a dozen episodes. Not that they are good shows, but I've had the other 2 90 Bristol Court shows, Harris Against the World and Tom, Dick and Mary on my wantlist since I started collecting. Sports-wise, my biggest want would be the 1974 Raiders-Dolphins playoff game. I know that cheapskate NBC erased it but I hope some day it will turn up from someone's 3/4 inch or reel to reel collection. Oh, and the 1972 Laver-Rosewall WCT Final, which again NBC wiped. Not very likely but never say never.

Clark V Kauffman likes this.
  2. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

1-All of Hayley Mills' movies on Blu-Ray (like "The Trouble With Angels", Tiger Bay, her Disney film collection)
    2-All of Linda Blair's TV movies on Blu-Ray (like "Born Innocent") ("Sarah T.: Portrait Of A Teenage Alcoholic" is on it's way)
    3-All Of Valerie Bertinelli's TV movies on Blu-Ray (Like "Young Love, First Love" & I'll Take Manhattan")
    4-Official DVD/Blu-Rays of TV movies (Some were very good) (like "Eric" & "Something For Joey")
    5-Concerts, music shows & music video compilations released on Blu-Ray/DVD (There's one for Bruce Springsteen, Cyndi Lauper, Journey...I want more)
    6-"Complete Series" sets of classic shows still not available (Like "Adventures In Paradise", "77 Sunset Strip", The Space Giants", "Hi Honey...I'm Home"
    7-Whatever's left in the vaults. Digitize them so they don't sit & rot away!!!

If the companies that own them don't want to release them, license them to other companies that do!

SandAndGlass likes this.
  3. JFOK

JFOK Forum Resident

In addition to the Warner detective shows...77 Sunset Strip, Hawaiian Eye, etc. I can't for the life of me understand why my holy grail, Ben Casey has yet to be released. The old excuse of music rights issues is a load of crap. I would even take the Worldvision tape transfers over nothing.

LeBon Bush likes this.
  4. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

My obscure top ten...
    1. All of the early SCTV episodes.
    2. Journey into Fear
    3. Stand alone Blu-ray release of the Monkees Head
    4. Amazing Colossal Man
    5. An updated collection of David Lynch's more recent short films and commercials (Dynamic 02?)
    6. The Other Side of the Wind on Blu (Not everyone has Netflix!)
    7. Some Girls Do (Sequel to Deadlier than the Male)
    8. Another Nikkatsu Noir box from Criterion (or how about a Shishido Jo box?)
    9. Nothing Lasts Forever
    10. Sculpt

I know some of these films are available in obscure PAL and other region releases but I'm hoping to standard NTSC or even Blu releases. A guy can dream.

5. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

Over the years I've heard about three different edits of this film. I
    would love to see a complete "Extended Director's Cut" type version.
    It's one of my favorites from my childhood.

6. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

7. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

Clearly I am not alone! :righton:

Matt Richardson and Michael like this.
  8. JohnBeas

JohnBeas Senior Member

The TV show "I'll Fly Away" and I would hope it would include the behind the scenes shorts that were made for it's reairing on PBS.

Jarleboy likes this.
  9. townsend

townsend Senior Member

2K restoration of Cabeza De Vaca; and 4K restoration of too many to name, but start with The Road Warrior, Cool Hand Luke, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Emerald Forest, Once Upon a Time in America, etc. All on blu-ray

10. JohnBeas

JohnBeas Senior Member

A hi-def transfer of the extended/alternate version of "The Abyss". I can't believe this hasn't been released yet!

11. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I don't really want much...

Just a complete multi-camera version of the Kate Bush's Live at The Hammersmith Odeon concert, and a nice Blu-ray version of Before The Dawn.

That's all.

12. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

I'd also love to see her 1979 Christmas special on blu-ray

13. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

Roberto Benigni for the American/English market.

For such a popular guy (and Oscar(s) winner), his films are maddeningly difficult to collect here.

The official Blu-Ray of Johnny Stecchino doesn't even come with English subtitles! I have the old DVD of Il Mostro with English subtitles - but I'd certainly like an upgrade. And any decent copy of his Little Devil co-starring Walter Matthau.

Just surprised his films languish like that - these are good pictures and certainly comedy classics in Italy.

Is there any love for Roberto in the UK or Europe besides Italy? I'm guessing not but don't know why.

Jeff

Jazzmonkie likes this.
  14. mr_spenalzo

mr_spenalzo Forum Resident

A nice (and affordable) Ingmar Bergman blu-ray set.
    More Hitchcock, Mike Leigh and Almodovar on blu-ray.

15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

C'mon, you guys are slipping. 14 messages in, and nobody mentions a Blu-ray extended version and stereo remix of Let It Be?

It could be done -- all Apple has to do is want to do it.

16. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

me too...never missed a showing on the Saturday after movie when I was a kid! we did get the War Of The Colossal Beast on DVD...I want a double header Blu-ray!

17. Michael

better be soon as first gen fans are tired of the BS...LOL.

Grand_Ennui and Vidiot like this.
  18. Michael

The Gazebo, Fastest Gun Alive on BD...

19. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident Thread Starter

So, most people have everything they want and the biggest wants are better quality? I'm not doing blue ray. I'm done with format switches, 3/4, Beta, VHS, Super Beta, Super VHS, DVD. I'm done. Whoever gets my collection when I croak can worry about another format. Plus I don't think it would look any different on my CRT set anyway.

20. Grey Alien

Grey Alien Forum Resident

21. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

Probably my biggest “Want” is a proper Blu-ray release of “Frankenstein: The True Story.” I have the old dvd release which is.... ok but it’s a poorly compressed, soft transfer that could be drastically better. And then there’s the Japanese Blu-ray which looks like an awful bootleg.

Other movies on the list include:

Invasion Of The Saucer Men
    The Keep
    Looking For Mr Goodbar
    Dracula And Son
    Song Of The South
    Let It Be

22. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Ask and yer shall receive
    Criterion Collection: Ingmar Bergman's Cinema only $150 for 39 films in 1080p

Al Kuenster and mr_spenalzo like this.
  23. mr_spenalzo

mr_spenalzo Forum Resident

24. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

It's region free!

fluffskul likes this.
  25. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Blu-ray on a great HD (or 4K) display is another world. I've been looking at this crap for over 50 years. CRTs ain't happening. A great 4K display need not cost you a lot of money, and we're glad to see remastered films provided they're real classics. We watched 2001 last week, and we're about to take a peek at Superman in 4K. Really looking forward to it.

Jarleboy, kouzie and audiomixer like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.