What are your favorite budget finds in audio?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by LeeS, Apr 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

Atlas Navigator interconnects £50. It wasn't until joining here that I even thought of looking for cables preowned!

2. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

I like finding used CD's on the cheap that are actually good. Same with vinyl. I have found many near mint LP's at the Record Archive for eight bucks apiece.
    A good vintage receiver is also a very nice prize.

3. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

My Lafayette LR-9090. Free. Found it on the sidewalk one Sunday morning. Apart from the wonky power/speaker select switch, which I bypass with a switched power strip it works and sounds great!

[​IMG]

timind, morinix and DonnyMe like this.
  4. EndOfTheRainbow

EndOfTheRainbow I Want To See the Bright Lights Tonight

I found one in Goodwill for my brother, who has yet to hook it up yet !!

LeeS likes this.
  5. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Paradigm model 9 speakers $85. Purchased them for a needy friend.

6. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Just picked up a Luxman M6000 amp at a garage sale for $150.
    I just tried it and it seems to work fine, now I'll do some research and see if I over paid.

7. JMCIII

JMCIII Music lover first, audiophile second.

I've discovered a universal player that can be found used on eBay (or like places) for between $100 to $150 that stands up well to today's equipment that costs many times the price you'll pay for this player. Does CD well enough to enjoy, and makes high-res discs really shine. It's name: Pioneer DV-79 AVi. Don't knock it till you've heard it.

rl1856 and LeeS like this.
  8. murphywmm

murphywmm Senior Member

From Kijiji:

Pioneer PL-61 turntable - free
    Akai reel to reel - free
    Pioneer QX9900 receiver - free
    Technics SL-D202 turntable - $20

From Goodwill:

Kenwood AR-404 receiver - $20
    Technics SB-7000A speakers (barely used) - $50

9. Saint Johnny

Saint Johnny Forum Resident

Same as above, but missing one foot. $5.00 at a local garage sale.

10. Stones_Fan_129

Stones_Fan_129 New Member

I'll post a picture later today after I get back from school; but a co-worker of mine found me a Sony PS-X5 for $10 at a garage sale. It kept having this problem where the tonearm would move over then keep returning. I took it apart and found the repeat button was stuck. The automatic operation doesn't seem to cycle right. But at least I can operate it manually and listen to my records. What more can you ask for $10? It didn't have a stylus on the Shure M91E cartridge. I ordered a new stylus and got a better cart - the Audio Technica AT95E. I think it sounds good for what I paid. Got a Pyle Pro PP444 phono preamp (bought it because it was cheap, seems to work okay). Looked up some videos on how to balance out the tonearm and align the stuff right. Put some records on yesterday and sounded wonderful.

My parents even got in on the fun and put on some records they liked listening to back when they were my age. I also found a mint copy of Miles Davis - Bitches Brew in one of the crates my parents' records are stored in. They were leaving all these to me anyway and I don't think I am going to sell them. I hope to digitize them and keep the records cleaned up and stored away so that someday if I have kids, they can enjoy vinyl records when they're old enough too.

11. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

For a new unit that is a bargain I find the Yamaha CD player CD-S300 to be exceptional sounding. I haven't yet been able to unseat it despite some extensive auditioning of units 3X to 4X its price.

Attached Files:

soundboy likes this.
  12. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan Thread Starter

Got out the old Jolida JD-9 phono pre yesterday and was surprised how good it sounds still. Was able to sell to a new audiophile.

Campbell Saddler and JMCIII like this.
  13. JMCIII

That's how we keep this hobby going Lee....... Well done.

LeeS likes this.
  14. JMCIII

And remember people, old doesn't mean obsolete. I can vouch for that especially lately. A well designed piece of gear will always be a well designed piece of gear, and will almost always continue to sound good.

Campbell Saddler, DonnyMe and LeeS like this.
  15. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

No, you surely didn't. You scored big time!

16. dwm67

dwm67 Forum Resident

I just bought this exact player for DVD audio ... it arrived yesterday.

I am now on the hunt for more DVD-A discs to play :)

JMCIII likes this.
  17. JMCIII

Don't forget to try it with SACD too. You may be pleasantly surprised. Glad you found one.

18. JMCIII

Lee, that was the player that introduced me to the wonders of SACD. Kind of wish I still had it, but as I advanced I gave it to a friend to try and get him started.........

LeeS likes this.
  19. JMCIII

LeeS likes this.
  20. rl1856

rl1856 Forum Resident

Revisiting the thread----Among the best bang for the buck purchases has been a Tivoli table radio. $50 at Costco. Excellent as a table radio, iPod/iPad music player and as a separate tuner.

21. Scott in DC

Scott in DC Forum Resident

A KLH Model 21 FM table radio. It's a solid state Henry Kloss design.

It was given to me by a colleague who was retiring. I went in to her office and noticed it on her shelf. I told her a little about it and she was impressed that I knew about it. She was clearing out things prior to her last day and said she wanted me to have the radio because she thought I would appreciate it. Wow! What a great parting gift from her.

Scott

JMCIII, morinix and LeeS like this.
  22. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Another for CD and SACD playback is the Pioneer Elite DV-58AV
    http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/Blu-ray-Disc/Elite-DVD-Players/DV-58AV?tab=manuals
    I have one as a spare that I picked up NOS for 100 bucks. The redbook CD playback gives my Marantz SA8005 a run for the money and the SACD playback is slightly better in some instances, believe it or not.

JMCIII likes this.
  23. JMCIII

24. eyeCalypso

eyeCalypso Forum Resident

From a local pawn shop I got a Yamaha ax- 700u integrated amp for $19.99.
    Price was cheap because it didn't have an HDMI port or posts for 5.1 channels!!

Same day I found a Marantz 2215 receiver for $40.

From the Habitat for Humanity thrift shop I got a pair of Advent Legacy 2's for $21 a speaker because it was 'purple tag' day. I did have to refoam those though.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2014
    LeeS likes this.
  25. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Today's budget find was a pair of Sennheiser HD 430's for £6, they work perfectly though I'll have to spend around three times that on some nice new pads, even so they should still beat any headphones below £100 and a fair few above. I do like the vintage Sennheiser sound.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.