What are your favorite free over-the-air broadcast channels?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by PaulKTF, Jul 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

For those of you who get your TV via over-the-air free broadcasting (via antenna) like me, what are your favorite over-the-air channels/networks?

I like Antenna TV and ME-TV for their classic TV

Our two local PBS stations and the World and Create sub-channels.

That's really just about all I watch- those channels offer plenty of interesting shows.

I wish I got the BUZZR TV game show network.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
  2. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

I'd imagine that HBO via DirectTV is not what you'd consider over the air...correct?

3. PaulKTF

Right, though I guess you did get me on a technicality. :) I'll change the subject line.

4. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Senior Member

Antenna TV and Me TV are good ones, I also watch a lot on CBS and PBS

5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I may be watching more on FOX these days than I do any other broadcast network. But I also find myself watching a lot of AMC via satellite. Over-the-air is generally way too tame and pedestrian for me these days.

6. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

MeTV
    Antenna TV
    getTV
    Cozi TV
    Grit
    Heroes & Icons
    Decades

Yes, I am biased toward "classic TV" oriented channels, but IMO that's where the most interesting stuff is being shown, if we're only talking about OTA programming. I have cable for HBO, sports, and everything else that's not available OTA.

7. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

This is a great channel. WBXZ-LP, Channel 56 in Buffalo NY, was airing it up until the end of June.
    It's too bad they dropped it.

8. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

GetTV and Movies!. Movies is on a local sub channel (12-2) and is a national feed.
    Old and new movies, and all in HD or at least upgraded SD. Here's their website
    schedule:
    Movies! TV Network | Schedule »

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  9. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

We get MeTV and Antennae TV. With some exceptions, I prefer MeTV which I think has better quality shows. It is nice to watch westerns with good stories and comedy shows without any of the gutter talk and situations like Two Broke Girls has. (What a horrible show. Hard to believe it is on broadcast TV).

Antennae TV tends to feature a lot of old shows that I never liked even when they were current:
    All in the Family
    Jeffersons
    Mr. Belvedere
    Three's Company
    Family Ties.

On the other hand, I do like
    Mr. Ed
    Green Acres
    Leave it to Beaver
    Bewitched
    And Johnny, of course.

Between MeTV and Antenae TV and watching old shows on Netflix, we seldom watch any of the Big 3 networks, Fox or even PBS very much.

10. digdug67

digdug67 Hockley's Hits Here!

Those are all great and add COMET to the list, sci-fi movies from all eras (esp. a lot of old 'B' movies).

11. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

By far Decades channel. Ed Sullivan two full episodes. Full episode of Dick Cavett. The Comedy Shop, 70s stand up show. Laugh In, i've become a addicted to Laugh In. Lilly Tomlin was so good. These are my daily go to. The horrible made for tv movies are sometimes horrible sometimes awesome. Great channel. They have been showing the great and new, to me, 70s series Movin' On. A trucker show. Adventures on the road. Cool show. Love the Decades channel.

cboldman and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  12. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

I have not watched the Sullivan shows because I thought there were the edited versions from the 90s but now I see they are complete? Gotta watch now!!

13. Greenalishi

Just watched 'em along with Dick Cavett interviewing James Brown after his arrest. Great interview. Opposites which really worked. Dick is so cosmopolitan. They are full shows but with some type of editing i think. Still love 'em.

I thought of starting a review thread of Ed's show. But, i think it would be me and me reviewing em. Liza, Tony Bennet, nice juggling. Every day some fun stuff. Never liked Barbra Streisand, now i get it. Man when she was young her energy was just off the charts. She's jumping out of her skin. He has many of the same things on but i like seeing it. Love the Ed shows. Yesterday was the Doors famous show. They did People are Strange first the Light my Fire. He sings Higher eyes closed but not overemphisised like the movie. And Ed is clapping politely after they sing. I guess backstage the blowup was there? But, Ed presented a stoic politeness after they finished.

MikaelaArsenault and Benno123 like this.
  14. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Our local PBS channel. It's not "exactly" free, since I do cut them a check every year. But then again, I never watch it. The only benefit I get from this is knowing if I didn't send them the money, that's money that would have otherwise gone to the government via taxes, which would surely be spent on something I didn't want. I would much rather my dollar going to a station airing programming aimed at the poorly-served minority viewer, than whatever gets slipped into our budget.

15. Greenalishi

Lots of good PBS stuff i love. The News Hour, Frontline, and the docs on the World channel.

Pelvis Ressley likes this.
  16. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

I get most of these channels over the air with my steam-powered antenna. I've found if I try to surf between them they all show commercials at the exact same time. We've all had enough of mesothelioma/asbestos ambulance chasers barking "1-800" phone numbers like a machine gun.

sixtiesstereo likes this.
  17. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

I like many of them: MeTV, Antenna TV, LaffTV, Cozi, Buzzr, Movies! and Decades. I could do with less commercials that they all have, but maybe its the price to pay.

18. Greenalishi

Laff Tv for Drew Carey my main show. Love that show. Me Tv comes out with a gem every once in a while. Some obscure movie that i love and have never seen. But mostly not. Still browze it regularly.

19. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

They are still edited.

20. Greenalishi

Today was excellent. Two full black and white episodes. Nat Cole, Ertha Kitt, Pearl Bailey, Opera, juggling. An excellent mimic of Ed, which is stock on the show. But he went back to baby and child hood, really full mimicry of Ed. The Nat one had his wife Maria for one song. Really cool. You could see Natelie in Maria. Juggler Rodreguez. Best was a young Nina Simone, wow. Love these shows.

21. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

What was full?

22. Greenalishi

I don't know. They just run two vintage episodes in a row. Half hour each. Seems to have introductions and banter. Each half hour is an episode. Maybe they have been edited i don't know. But each half hour is from one show not just highlights or patched together best of's. You can see them on the Decades channel. The introduction montage and music is of the 80's time? maybe. But the shows are of the past. Lovin' the old Ed Sullivan shows.

Maybe someone could give info on how long the original on air shows were. And if the rebroadcasts have cuts and what was cut?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
  23. Hadean75

Hadean75 Forum Moonlighter

When I used to use an antenna, Create became my absolute favorite station. I LOVED Create. Now that we've got cable again, I find myself missing that station lol.

Greenalishi likes this.
  24. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

don't have any but I used to watch ION TV and the Justice Channel...

25. PaulKTF

So hook up an indoor antenna to your TV and watch it again if your cable system doesn't carry it. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.