What are your favorite 'giant killer' pieces of audio equipment?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jimbo1960, Aug 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kimo

Kimo New Member

2. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

Of course. :D

[​IMG]

3. Jimbo1960

Jimbo1960 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yeah...that justifies the extra $9200!

4. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

:D

5. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

Those who can afford $10,000 audio components can justify it and those who can't afford it can't.

6. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

The Ayre cd player is around $3K

7. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member

Woops, typo.

The RP3/P3-24 comparison will be up on our site by the weekend. There aren't any reviews because we're the only ones in North America that have the table for review. The dealers just started getting their stock this week.

We compared the RP3 to the P3-24, both tables equipped with an Exact cartridge and a handful of MoFi LP's that are only one pressing number apart.

Made it very easy to hear the diff between the two. Might even have some video by the end of the weekend as well, so stay tuned.

8. Dougr33

Dougr33 Forum Resident

Wonder how it'd sound with the new 24v motor upgrade (and then power supply). Would it beat the P3/24 (by virtue of tonearm?)

9. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

It's not as black and white as that I suspect. I can afford it but haven't heard anything of that value that would persuade me to part with the money and I've heard plenty of higher end stuff that carry similar high price tickets. Each to their own I think!

10. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Exploding gas tank is standard equipment!! :agree::shh::sigh:

11. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

'giant killer' pieces of audio equipment

At least the sound will be too real. BOOM! Nice bass!

12. HiFiSoundGuy

HiFiSoundGuy New Member

I think every piece of gear in my system are "giant killers" ! My BOSE 901's that people LOVE to badmouth or Delete or close threads on all forums:agree: :shh: To my Maestro ac outlets that people also love to badmouth or Delete or close threads on all forums too:agree: :shh: :shrug:

bluemooze likes this.
  13. Bob_in_OKC

You're right, of course. What I really mean is, an audio component's price of $10,000 is not necessarily unjustified, even if it has an Oppo transport in it. It's all about what people will pay for it. If someone can't pay for it, they won't. Your example adds that some people who can pay for it won't.

14. discreplayboss

discreplayboss Forum Resident

Exactly, I didn't want to bring it up to make my point, but I could easily triple or quadruple the cost of most my system without batting an eye, but I just don't see the return on the investment. The audio gear industry usually adheres to the "law of diminishing returns" so the higher the price increase, the lower relative performance increase is gained. The higher you go in price, it gets harder to justify.

15. laynecobain

laynecobain Active Member

16. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

heheh.

17. Jimbo1960

18. Jimbo1960

...and some people have more money than brains.

19. Bob_in_OKC

No doubt about it.

20. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

My favorite killer audio piece comes from 1978. I was a poor student, and had just put a UKP45 (!) Hadcock arm on my home built turntable. I went cartridge shopping, at Graham's in North London.

I thought I might want a Supex MC, since they were all the rage. Imagine my surprise when I came out, after an audition, with a Decca London Gold Export at UKP75 (Supex was UKP 112). In all respects the Decca is wider, deeper and more dynamic. Bit more surface noise, slightly worse tracking. But when it sings, it's wonderful. I still have it in storage.. superb clear diamond tip never wore out. Several thousand hours on it.

Prices for cartridges haven't followed the sensible rules of other electronics, and the London Gold is now a lot of money. Where a $120 low output MC is probably better than the Supex of that day.

21. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Yamaha MCR-040 micro system. A pal just got one, and I was blown away with the sound. Better even than the Bose Wave, for about half the money.

22. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

It wouldn't be hard for anything out there to beat Bose. This is not giant killing. The thread is about modest prices equipment (usualy mid-fi) that may equal or embarrass some ultra expensive high end products. I think this is likely only to be achieved with a system costing several thousands of dollars which has excellent synergy and probably including some used high quality classic products.

23. Audireophile

Audireophile New Member

I'll bet I have the best $400 speakers ever: B&W 803 Series II. Of course, the auctioneer had no idea what they were.

24. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Gentlemen and Ladies

There is a saying, "You Get What You Pay For". NAD, Adcom, Hafler, Yamaha, Pioneer can and have made good gear. But see how many of them will even support a 5 or a 10 year old item, let alone one which is 40 years old. McIntosh supports me better as a used customer than you get with any of the above when it is new. And used in nice order is more affordable than you think. There is good but cheap, and there is a lifetime heirloom investment. Your choice, your mileage may vary. My own McIntosh gear is 40 years of age at newest, the oldest is 1967. And to some degree, I still get parts and service support out there.

beowulf and bluemooze like this.
  25. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Qualifier! :D

gingerly likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.