What are your favorite 'giant killer' pieces of audio equipment?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jimbo1960, Aug 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

I'd say NHT speakers, especially the SuperOnes (price/performance ratio).

2. Tore Pedersen

Tore Pedersen Member

I heard a pair of Revel Performa3 m106's a while back, and honestly I don't think I've ever heard a better pair of standmounts, regardless of price.
    So at 2k a pair, they are without question "giant killers". They just might be my next speakers.

Much of the same can be said about Harbeth c7es3 and Spendor sp2/3r2 as well. You can spend as much money on a pair of standmounts as you wan't, but you're most likely not going to best them.

3. Mike34260

Mike34260 Forum Resident

Vintage Magnavox players from the late 80s such as the CDB 262 and 480. They were designed and made by Phillips and feature the excellent swing arm laser transport. The DAC chip in these players is also fantastic, very smooth and natural sounding. You can find these for less than 40 dollars constantly and they read anything! Have 2 of them in my main systems and I'm quite satisfied!

4. rodney sherman

rodney sherman Forum Resident

My Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2. Pushes out lots of power for less the $800. Drives a pair of Klipsch RF-82 II speakers. Makes me look like the MAXELL Man in Chair poster.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  5. vs_jk

vs_jk Forum Resident

I used to have the Little Dot II+ and it was definitely an upgrade for me to go to the Little Dot III. I used it for my headphone system primarily but have tried it as a preamp for my speaker system and it worked well there also.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.