What Are Your Favourite British Sitcoms?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Hexwood, May 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johnny Rocker

Johnny Rocker Well-Known Member

Hex, a lot of families are military, moving is mandatory, it can be a good thing, or it could be bad. Locations, some nice areas one will move to, others not so nice. Other folks move because of better job offers, different scenery, or just plain itchy feet. I had a buddy from Wisconson, he was a party animal, and would from DFW drive to Los Vegas, then to Chicago and back to DFW for the weekend just to get out. LOL! Talk about itchy feet. I had a buddy from Jersey that did the same, and he moved around so much I lost touch with him, both were fun dudes. I have a buddy from East Texas who has moved a lot also, he loves travel. I wont lie I in the past have traveled a lot too.:D:cool:

2. éder

éder Forum Resident

We have almost the same taste in comedy jim ! Fawlty towers will always be my favourite sitcom.. no sitcom has made laugh more on first viewing than fawlty towers .
    At the moment i'm really into Rising damp. After basil fawlty, rigsby is my favourite sitcom character.. leonard rossiter is just amazing in that role..
    But do you see similarities between rising damp and fawlty towers ? -
    Rigsby like fawlty is a snob who creeps around the upper classes. His wife who appears in one episode resembles sybil..
    There is a confidence trickster episode in both shows.
    Both rigsby and fawlty hate to think that their tenants/guests are having sex on their property !
    They both share the same love of old british traditions and seem stuck in the past..they are both mildly racist and homophobic .. etc etc

Rock-C-Art likes this.
  3. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Well the bigger theme, which is very common in most of the great British sitcoms, is the idea of the slightly sad and pathetic male trapped in a situation/trapped by their own insecurities and them slowly drowning in the situation. Fawlty, Rigsby, Alan Partridge, Harold Steptoe, the landlord from Early Doors etc. I mean most of the greats are like that. The humour comes in watching them fail again and again. Just when you think they are going to find some peace or happiness it is snatched away.

On a separate issue, the racism and homophobia were pretty much the norm in the 70's unfortunately.

éder likes this.
  4. éder

éder Forum Resident

.. i dont find the racism in rising damp offensive though - the joke is clearly on Rigsby.
    Rising damp actually makes fun of the racist. The black tenant philip is far more educated and intelligent and always has the upper hand..

Jim B. likes this.
  5. BLUESJAZZMAN

BLUESJAZZMAN I Love Blues, Jazz, Rock, My Son & Honest People

1 Only Fools & Horses
    2 On The Buses
    3 Steptoe & Son
    4 Royle Family
    5 Bottom
    6 The Office
    7 Till Death Do Us Part/In Sickness And In Health
    8 Game On
    9 The Inbetweeners
    10 Gavin & Stacey

Rock-C-Art likes this.
  6. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I love Bottom and:

Hancock's Half Hour
    Steptoe & Son
    The Likely Lads
    Whatever Happened To The Likely Lads
    Porridge
    Black Adder
    Dad's Army
    Faulty Towers
    Tje Office
    The Young Ones
    The Royles
    House Of Fools

Rock-C-Art and éder like this.
  7. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Summer bump

8. Standoffish

Standoffish Smarter than a turkey

Has My Hero been mentioned?

I wouldn't call it a great show, but it was charming and pretty funny.

9. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

It was OK. They really ran it into the ground, though.

10. Johnny Rocker

11. Johnny Rocker

I'm pretty sure the gents in here have family ties to U.K. and Ireland, the further to the east coast of America, the closer the ties.:)[​IMG] [​IMG] I didn't know that my family had any, but Ancestry dot com cleared that up. Yeup, roast beef, fish n chips, tea, Yorkshire pudding anyone?[​IMG] :tiphat:

12. rediffusion

rediffusion Forum Resident

Where's Wales?

Johnny Rocker likes this.
  13. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Two of my very favourites, both of which have largely been forgotten over the years:

Nightingales, with Robert Lindsay, David Threlfall, and James Ellis. Surreal early '90s comedy about a group of security guards working the night shift. Brilliantly written and played.

A Very Peculiar Practice, with Peter Davison, Barbara Flynn, David Troughton, and the wonderful Graham Crowden. Late '80s black comedy-drama about the politics of a university medical centre. Again, brilliant writing and performances all around.

14. Johnny Rocker

Lol,:p Its near Wolverhampton, Glocester, Birmingham, Near Ireland, etc......[​IMG]

andybeau likes this.
  15. pocofan

pocofan Senior Member

Fawlty Towers
    Me Bean

Rock-C-Art likes this.
  16. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

Oh boy. My girl absolutely hates 'dry humor' and it's nearly impossible to watch British tv with her. I guess Rowan Atkinson's work may be among my favorite with Black Adder and Mr. Bean.

17. Rock-C-Art

Rock-C-Art Senior Member

Peep Show?

18. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

I prefer the sequel Farty Towers. ;)

19. AveryKG

AveryKG Sultan of snacks

Worth adding to @Johnny Rocker 's sequence of Ted gifs above, this never fails to crack me up…

[​IMG]

éder likes this.
  20. Johnny Rocker

Yah Faulty Towers is great!:):cool:

21. Mirror Image

Mirror Image 200 Years Of Anton Bruckner

Black Adder and Mr. Bean would have to be my favorites, but Keeping Up Appearances and Are You Being Served? have their great moments. I really should watch Fawlty Towers and The Office as I’ve heard nothing but good things about them.

Johnny Rocker likes this.
  22. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

That was such a brilliant episode. The farmer telling Father Ted that he didn't have time to devote himself to the whole racism thing was brilliant.

goodiesguy and éder like this.
  23. AveryKG

AveryKG Sultan of snacks

I think it is my favourite "Ted" episode. That's the same scene as the "the Greeks … they invented gayness" rant as I recall.

eddiel likes this.
  24. éder

éder Forum Resident

"The Chinese - a great bunch of lads "

AveryKG and BadJack like this.
  25. éder

éder Forum Resident

Excellent episode - 'are you right there father ted' - the chinese slide show was great -
    ..." chairman Mao, leader of the world's biggest communist party , and in my view the best"

eddiel likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.