What are your Mark Knopfler favorites?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Nipper, Aug 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gramps Tom

Gramps Tom Forum Resident

2. Gramps Tom

Gramps Tom Forum Resident

Agreed!

keyXVII and cyclistsb like this.
  3. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

Darn autocorrect!

John B Good likes this.
  4. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

The first 5 DS albums, with the odd exception!

I can't stand Les Boys (nothing to do with the 80s being less PC than now, it's just a crap sing with crap lyrics). I don't like Private Investigations either, it's takes a long time to do nothing, as opposed to Telegraph Road that does loads and feels like it's 5 minutes long. The Walk of Life is another piece of junk, and spoils Brothers in Arms, with Money for Nothing coming in a close second in the 'trite 80s crap' awards!

stillrockin and Nipper like this.
  5. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

Hey now...if you are a Dire Straits fan, you'll know that there is always some comic relief on their albums.

6. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

I'm doing quite alright, thank you very much...

I obviously prefer my comedy a little more cerebral, and I don't think Private Investigations was meant to be funny! :)

Posters, Badges, Stickers and T-Shirts, now that was funny, as was Industrial Disease.

Nipper likes this.
  7. riskylogic

riskylogic Forum Resident

Geez, I love Dire Straits s/t and Tracker way more than most, apparently. Also ticked BiA and StP

Nipper likes this.
  8. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

I like Private Investigations....the guitar on that recording is superb.

Carlox and Nipper like this.
  9. boboquisp

boboquisp Magic Prism Eyes

Throwing this one out for those who haven't heard it...if only they'd done an album
    together.

Phil Lynnot with Mark Knopfler from Phil's Solo From Soho album.

Elvis RIP 8/16/77

10. DEAN OF ROCK

DEAN OF ROCK Senior Member

Love this!!!

DavidD, OptimisticGoat and Gramps Tom like this.
  11. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

I am having a Communique' renaissance. I love all of the DS albums but have underappreciated this one. OUTITW, News, Where Do You Think You're Going... there is not a weak track on it and the musicality is as good, if not better than the debut.

12. OptimisticGoat

I love What It Is and Hill Farmer's Blues - 2 of my favourite solo tracks (with Boom Like That and Don't You Get It).

13. sgb

sgb Senior Member

An absolutely great album; British pressings sound wonderful — same with Love Over Gold.

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  14. John54

John54 Senior Member

I like the live album Alchemy, which I heard in its entirety one night on the radio. Have it on vinyl.

I saw the movie Local Hero and I like the Knopfler soundtrack.

I haven't seen Cal but I heard bits and pieces of that soundtrack. I think I have this on CD.

I only have one Dire Straits CD; I think it's Making Movies but it's definitely one of the first three.

15. beep

beep Senior Member

I would have voted for the live album Alchemy and the soundtrack to Local Hero if they were on the list. Going Home is my favorite MK song and it's on both of those albums.

dmesserly and OptimisticGoat like this.
  16. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

I miss the soundtracks for ‘Cal’ and ‘Local Hero’ . And ‘Local Hero’ is one of my favourites!

rod and OptimisticGoat like this.
  17. Carlox

Carlox Forum Resident

Agree.

18. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

I'm surprised that Get Lucky is low on the list.

Nipper likes this.
  19. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I voted for Dire Straits S/T, Love Over Gold, Sailing To Philadelphia and Shangri-La. I saw Dire Straits in '82 or '83 in Boston and it was an incredible show. Easily one of the best concerts I ever saw! Then saw MK solo for the Privateering and Tracker tours. Easily one of my favorites artists!

Nipper and Dan Steele like this.
  20. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

“Where Do You Think You’re Going”. FTW

21. Stephen Birkett

Stephen Birkett Forum Resident

Agree on Walk of Life. When it was first released it reminded me of a Wurlitzer operative winding his organ with a monkey sat on the top. However Money for Nothing is a great track that has simply been overplayed. The original CD version of this was used in most HIFI stores as a demo for CD players in the mid 80's.
    Fav album for me is Making Movies and fav tracks I never tire of hearing are Sultans, Lady Writer, Romeo and local hero.

Dan Steele and OptimisticGoat like this.
  22. stillrockin

stillrockin Forum Resident

To add to the list I have always had a bit of a soft spot for the Notting Hillbillies album too. I saw them live a couple of times and the shows were excellent.

I have increasingly felt that when you see Mark live now the "old stuff" is a bit like Mark by numbers. It is the same DS songs performed the same way as every other tour for the past 15+ years ( with the honourable exception of the time I saw him doing "Sultans" the way they originally recorded it and with no pedal steel over the top of it). I can quite understand if Mark himself is a bit tired of the same old songs and I wonder why he feels contractually obliged so to speak to keep doing them. His solo albums increasingly sound nothing like the Straits albums anyway.

As for the Straits the first time I saw them live on the Love Over Gold tour they were so amazingly good that I could hardly speak for days afterwards. Still one of the two best concerts I have ever seen.

Nipper and OptimisticGoat like this.
  23. OptimisticGoat

Saw them live only on every street. But I recorded and cherished the final show of the Brothers Tour (nationally televised show from Sydney - their 7th Sydney show) in early Jan 87. Absolutely awesome both times. Mark solo on shangri -la Tour about 10 years ago. Also great.

Nipper likes this.
  24. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I removed the Dire Straits albums from consideration (not that I don't like them) and voted for his best solo album - "Sailing from Philadelphia".

I was in Brisbane for their show in '87 - they played outdoors at the QEII stadium I think. I remember there were a bunch of buses taking everyone back to the city. With 50,000 people to transport you would think there would be a bit of tension, a bit of pushing and shoving - but quite the opposite. All so orderly.

I have this strong memory of sitting on the bus heading back to town with everyone so blissed out from a marvelous night - the band had given their all and taken us out of ourselves. It was a beautiful thing - we felt like Brothers in Arms.

DavidD, OptimisticGoat and Bill Mac like this.
  25. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

My favorite and so overlooked.

OptimisticGoat and CBS 65780 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.