What are your two favourite David Bowie albums post 'Scary Monsters'?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by badsneakers, Oct 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. badsneakers

badsneakers Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I think we can safely say that David Bowie released what many consider a very fine album, The Next Day, which subsequently reassured his fans that Bowie is still a great artist. However, there are some fans that argue Scary Monsters was his last true masterpiece, and since then has delivered lesser works. What are your thoughts on his work post 1980? I have always thought of The Buddha Of Suburbia being up there with his best work, and the excellent 1.Outside being not far behind it. He seemed to be on top form around 1993-5, in my opinion. You know my two favourites. What are yours?

2. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

Outside and Heathen for me, in fact I like both of them more than Scary Monsters!

3. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

Let's Dance is actually a great album. Though it has taken the perspective of 30 years to realise it... I think Heathen or 1: Outside would be my choice for the #2 slot. Though Hours and Reality are both good too...

4. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

Let's Dance and The Next Day are masterpieces, but I actually prefer the latter.

5. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Heathen
    Black And White Tie
    Never Let Me Down.

6. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

I really liked Earthling.

FLF, Mr Bass, Jet Age Eric and 2 others like this.
  7. badsneakers

I never liked the cover of Let's Dance. It put me off the album, which is a bit harsh as it has some great moments like China Girl, Ricochet, Cat People and the title track. Nice production by Nile Rodgers too.

8. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

I think his post 80s music sounds more dated than his earlier recordings.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
    mooseman and rstamberg like this.
  9. I think plenty of Bowie's best work is after Scary Monsters, and to my view, the man was never in better voice than the period from about 1995-2004. (In fact, I've often said that I generally prefer Bowie's output after Tin Machine, over most of what came before.)

As far as my two favorite albums, post-Monsters -- and sticking to studio albums only, I'd probably have to go with...
    • Reality
    • The Next Day
    But I'd put Earthling right up there too, and most of Heathen is close too. Hell, the best parts of Outside are fantastic (though it gets weighed down a bit with some lesser material too). And, for me, the only dud is really 'Hours...'.

And every live release post-Monsters is desert-island material for me too: A Reality Tour for sure, but also disc #3 of the BBC set, and especially the often overlooked LiveAndWell.com.

10. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

Let's Dance and Reality followed closely by Reality and Earthling

11. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Never Let Me Down and Tonight. No one will ever agree with me.

Tyler Chastain and Mother like this.
  12. badsneakers

He did have a great band working with him on that BBC set!

sunspot42 and dino77 like this.
  13. badsneakers

14. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

Reality and Heathen probably. Have a hard time warming to his 90s work...too much techno and concepts.

conjotter and seed_drill like this.
  15. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

The Next Day
    Black Tie White Noise

Bruriah and Remy like this.
  16. Scooter59

Scooter59 Forum Resident

Heathen and Reality......but The Next Day will probably replace Reality very soon.

17. badsneakers

So that's virtually 4 votes for The Next Day already. Pretty impressive considering it was an unexpected album that came from nowhere. Let's hope he delivers another album soon.

sunspot42 and Bowie Fett like this.
  18. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

TONIGHT

and

EARTHLING

19. Dino

Dino Forum Resident

As a huge fan of David Bowie, 1969-1980, I'm afraid that I do not like any post 1980 albums. And I really tried to like each of them until Earthling. By then I just listened to them and hoped for a few songs (or one song) that moved me.
    There are songs that I like post 1980, just not entire albums.

The two releases that I really like post-1980 are EPs:
    The Heart's Filthy Lesson - 1995
    I'm Afraid of Americans - 1997

20. badsneakers

Great song. The rest of 1. OUTSIDE is as good IMO, but maybe an acquired taste for some?

BlueSpeedway likes this.
  21. Dino

Dino Forum Resident

I listened to "Let's Dance" the other night - the first time in ages. Never cared much for it. Really got into it the other night - surprised me. I'm curious to see if that perception sticks.

22. Dino

Dino Forum Resident

I really like "The Heart's Filthy Lesson" EP. Enjoy it, a great deal, from start to finish.

I really tried to get into "1. OUTSIDE" when it was new. I couldn't then. And it seemed like I should have - right up my alley. Or so it seemed. That is an album that I plan on revisiting before long.

badsneakers likes this.
  23. IMHO, the "techno" works better on the live albums (A Reality Tour, LiveAndWell.com (especially!), and an odd track or two from disk #3 of the BBC set).

In most of those three live recordings, Mike Garson was on keyboards (either real grand piano, or a good synthesized approximation) -- and his mad "classical"-esque improvisations (over the 'techno' contexts) works shockingly well! As in, "I cannot believe I'm hearing these huge, Romantic piano solos, complete with parallel octaves in the left hand -- over 'drum-n-bass' -- and it actually works!!!" :eek:

Maybe that's one of the reasons I've grown to like the '95-'04 material so much, is the added depth of the live recordings of that same material from those same years. For instance, over time I've found practically all of the Outside tunes from LiveAndWell.com have REALLY grown on me, probably more than if I'd just had access to the original studio versions.

BlueSpeedway and dino77 like this.
  24. billy1

billy1 Forum Resident

Buddha, Outside-though I have a soft spot for BTWN, Jump They Say was the last classic Bowie single.

Lets Dance? spoiled a bit by the title track - I much preferred the single version.

Edit: I don't care for The Next Day at all and regard Scary Monsters as half classic, not that keen on side 2.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  25. 'Let's Dance' - For sentimental reasons. I saw him on the Serious Moonlight tour and have fond memories of that time.
    'Outside'

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.