What audio product do you WISH they made?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by head_unit, Nov 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member Thread Starter

A couple things occur to me (not necessarily in order of importance):
    (1) An AVR configurable to use extra channels for active, crossovered biamping
    (2) A USB DAC with more than 2V output (like 4V at least, for high impedance headphones)
    (3) Noise canceling headphones that don't sound like cr@p.
    (4) A compact not crazy expensive stereo amp WITH bass management AND room correction
    (5) Perfect sound forever :p
    What do you wish?

2. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

A perfect sound quality measuring microphone. This would make our ears redundant for comparing systems but would let us choose the right components for ours systems and the best mastered software to get the best sound for our budget/listening room.

Yes it would take some of the “hobby” out of hi fi but we’d all save a fortune

The FRiNgE and head_unit like this.
  3. CMT

CMT Forum Resident

A clamp that could be attached to the columns of common speaker stands with an articulated arm and a connector for a bracket that could be mounted on the back of an acoustic absorption or diffusion panel so that you could block delayed reflections on one side of a speaker. In my room, there is nothing to the left of my left speaker (facing the system) but there is a wall on the right side of the right speaker. I can't hang a panel at the reflection point on the right-side wall, so I need to eliminate the spread from the speaker on the right side at the source, so to speak. Hard to describe what I'm talking about, but I know what I mean! I do this now with a photographic light stand jerry-rigged to hold a panel, but it would look so much more elegant if the panel would just float off to the side of the speaker, suspended on the arm I'm describing.

head_unit likes this.
  4. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

I wish someone would reintroduce the self centering turntable like Nakamichi made in the 80's.

jbmcb, WestGrooving, hi_watt and 11 others like this.
  5. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

A good sounding MQA DAC for under $20.000.

rocnred and head_unit like this.
  6. tomd

tomd Senior Member

A belt driven transport (ala CEC) that does SACD as well as redbook

head_unit, Bananajack and caracallac like this.
  7. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

Sony has not produced a multi-channel pre-pro since 2000. I still use that non-HDMI unit, the TA-E9000ES aided by an OPPO-205 and Sony TA-P9000ES to enjoy the latest surround sound formats; but, I'm hoping for a Sony pre-pro update. Right now, if my unit were to fail and not be repairable, I'd probably replace with one of the two Marantz pre-pros out there today.

head_unit likes this.
  8. caracallac

caracallac Forum Resident

A CD/SACD transport that outputs a native PCM or DSD data stream to any DAC via a USB connection.

9. lupalupa

lupalupa Well-Known Member

A protocol like SNMP for HiFi gear that would show me how it is performing using a series of Key Performance Indicators.

head_unit and caracallac like this.
  10. Ears of tin

Ears of tin Well-Known Member

A cheap (<$300) powerful (>35 watts rms) small (<9in depth) Class AB integrated amp with a remote. Basically just take the bottom of the line receiver of any major manufacturer and rip out the tuner, phono amp, DAC, wifi, digital inputs, Bluetooth etc. and then squeeze it into a smaller box. Something that would fit on a wall shelf, mantle or end table. With Chromecast and Pi streamers all I need is rca in and speakers out.

11. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

I wish for speakers that use "wideband" midrange drivers. Possibly two per enclosure because of their low efficiency- typically a 3 to 3-1/2" driver.
    They would handle most of the audible range including the important vocal midrange and can easily span from 400 to about 8000 Hz for more of a point source effect.
    Crossover the woofer at 400 and the tweeter at 8Khz and they can breather easy. Crossover induced phase issues are less audible at these frequencies.

My car system is three way active and the widebander is set to do this and the system sounds amazing.

12. Bananajack

Bananajack Phorum ... wat Phorum? Where am I?

A Streaming device that sounds as good as a CD Player
    No, not existing (will be shouted at now, but I know the truth - it sounds all rubbish)

A Friend bought the newest Boulder Integrated with Streaming inside ... five digit price
    And? Well, uninspiring sound with sharp treble and digital glare - yaya some like it.

I don’t ... :(

Tullman and head_unit like this.
  13. Bananajack

Build your own speakers. Use Siemens Klangfilm 8inch drivers (FleaBay Germany has sometimes, not too ex)
    Efficiency so 98-100 dB ... you need a damned good bass driver

These drivers do what you want.

head_unit and avanti1960 like this.
  14. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

I bet you miss Radio Shack. ;)
    -Bill

15. PFA

PFA Forum Resident

I would like a high end turntable with two features:

1) Semiautomatic - the tonearm lifts off the record at the end of the side and the turntable shuts off (the lack of this feature has kept me from buying many a turntable)

2) Hinged dustcover - I like to keep the dust off my records while they play

16. Bananajack

Err, that is called a Thorens. Thousands out on the market in all price classes

head_unit likes this.
  17. tIANcI

tIANcI Wondering when the hifi madness will end

A real Snake Oil detector :laugh:

bever70, Tlay, Blue Cactus and 14 others like this.
  18. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

What I'd like more than anything else is a laser turntable to play analog LPs that doesnt read the scratches, sounds analog like a high end cartridge, and sells for under $2,000.

19. rednedtugent

rednedtugent Forum Resident

a Holo lens for concert media

avanti1960 likes this.
  20. cut-out

cut-out Forum Resident

A small form factor DAC with a cd transport.

head_unit likes this.
  21. rednedtugent

rednedtugent Forum Resident

Oh, and good sounding MQA DAC for under $20.00

head_unit likes this.
  22. coolhandjjl

coolhandjjl Embiggened Pompatus

- A stylus that lasts for 10,000 hours.
    - Vinyl that is unscratchable, static proof, and repels any sort of dirt or foreign material.

23. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

it is very possible to make static free vinyl and I wish they would. basically a little carbon black in the mix to make it slightly conductive- which is what anti-static vinyl floors for hospitals used to be made with.

rocnred, Cyclone Ranger and head_unit like this.
  24. 2trackmind

2trackmind Forum Resident

Digital audio players with the same footprint as a CD/DVD player. The units would accept SD cards and USB drives, allowing the playback of audio files stored on the media.

There are professional units like this that are meant for recording, but those units are rather ugly.

25. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

A good inexpensive tube tester with a digital readout that tests EVERY tube!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.