What Bowie are you listening to this week?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by wavethatflag, Jan 15, 2016.

1. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

Do you think that Bowie had heard that Neu! and Tangerine Dream had recorded there?

2. searing75

searing75 Forum Resident

Station to station yesterday. Last night I watched the documentary Beside Bowie about Mick Ronson. It was great!

Slick Willie likes this.
  3. Mlle. Aurora

Mlle. Aurora Señor Member

The large Sound & Vision CD box I finally found cheap.

Slick Willie and JeffMo like this.
  4. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Dunno, couldn't find any info on that prior to Pop/Bowie at Hansa, apart from a Tangerine Dream album mixed there, but that Nick Mason mix was abandoned.

oldturkey likes this.
  5. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

Yep - you're right. I just checked and the guy is talking about Tangram (1980) and that most Krautrock was from the west ie Koln and Hamburg. I must have got the wrong end of the stick. However, Nina Hagen's record was recorded there, but not til 78. Maybe Bowie liked schlager!
    Wasted your time - sorry.

6. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

There are some aspects of the original mix that were good, especially the way Belew's guitar just jumped out on "D.J."

But... yeah.

7. jacden

jacden Senior Member

I'd really like to put something like this together as well. Would love to see the tracklists for your compilations.

MicSmith likes this.
  8. sparkmeister

sparkmeister Forum Resident

So far this week...

Heathen
    Reality
    Earthling
    Black star

Slick Willie likes this.
  9. MicSmith

MicSmith Forum Resident

I'll post them when I'm finished checking a few details. It's clear that a number of Re:Call edits are not exactly spliced the way the original singles were so I'm including anything I can where this is the case. I just need a few pointers from IdbD on Re:Call 3.

jacden likes this.
  10. jacden

jacden Senior Member

Thanks in advance. Bowie's catalogue is very confusing. So many tape defects, incorrect edits, not to mention mixing/recording variations. Every time I've started sorting through it all, I've become overwhelmed and given up. So your tracklists will be very helpful.

11. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

No Bowie this week, but when i do turn to his music, it's nearly always Hunky Dory.

wavethatflag likes this.
  12. maxnix

maxnix Forum Resident

can't stop watching this

thgord and NightGoatToCairo like this.
  13. Paul Middleton

Paul Middleton Forum Resident

Diamond Dogs... this week.

Slick Willie likes this.
  14. rayd88d

rayd88d Forum Resident

BBC Radio Theater disc from the Bowie at the BEEB set in the car yesterday.

footprintsinthesand likes this.
  15. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

Ground Control to Major Tom..... In my Tesla heading into space.

jhm likes this.
  16. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

Wild Is The Wind, Stay and Ziggy are probably my favourite live versions. I was lucky enough to be there; a fab weekend. In fact, BBC iPlayer currently has a Golden Greats Glastonbury, hour long special. I can clearly see myself 18 years ago watching Willie Nelson, waiting of course for Bowie.

thgord, maxnix and oldturkey like this.
  17. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Yesterday it was the ZS Motion Picture Soundtrack - Audio rip from the DVD release.

[​IMG]

I perfer to listen to it this way as, for some (thankful) reason, it lacks the organ overdub on "My Death". I never like the overdubbed organ.

Slick Willie, JeffMo and wavethatflag like this.
  18. NightGoatToCairo

My Death is the highlight of the whole show, in my opinion. Bowie's vocal phrasing in spot on.

19. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

I agree, it's great, but the organ used to always make me cringe, especially since the song was (never?) peformed that way during the Spiders era. I'm glad to have it without the later overdub.

20. NightGoatToCairo

I wrongly assumed the DVD audio would be identical to the 2003 CD version, or is it the same and you are comparing the DVD to the original soundboard version?

21. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

This week I am back listening to the Leon Suites.
    This is night music. Actually very relaxing in an off beat kind of way.
    Dark and cool.

22. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

The audio on the 30th Anniversary DVD and the 30th Anniversary 2 CD set is different. There's no organ overdub on "My Death" as I stated and there are other subtle differences as well (as I recall - it's been a while since I compared them).

23. NightGoatToCairo

I've listened to the Leon stuff [which I had since November 2014] more than The Next Day and Blackstar, combined. My favourite Bowie 'album' of the lot. Shame it's not had an official release.

24. bataclan2002

bataclan2002 All You Need Is Now.

Finally scored a CD of Changestwobowie. Aladdin Sane and Oh You Pretty Things sound superb!
    There’s nothing exclusive on this album but the completist in me wanted it.

wavethatflag likes this.
  25. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

I forgot to mention, the DVD audio is also more dynamic than the CD verson by about 2 to 3 "points" per track.

footprintsinthesand likes this.