What Bowie are you listening to this week?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by wavethatflag, Jan 15, 2016.

1. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

At some point the Bowie company is going to run out of product to put out. At that point they will want more money and they will decide to officially release Leon in a limited edition.

2. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Wasn't the original tape stolen ?

3. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

Supposedly there were five suites recorded for the Leon project. For some reason two were deleted. The other three got a final mix before being offered to the record company for release. Those three equal one hour of music. As for the other thirty hours, I am not sure, but Bowie said he wanted to go thru it all at some point. He said out of everything he had done, it was the one project he wanted to return to.

4. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

But what are you going to call the post-RCA collections? "Re:Call" is a pretty obvious reference, design and all, to RCA.

mEMrI?

5. spsimmons

spsimmons Forum Resident

I just ordered Blackstar. I will be listening to it as of tomorrow.

6. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

I've been trying to re-org/retrofit the three Parlophone boxes onto Blu-Ray media, under a better organizing principle than I used the first time I archived, and in the process

1) I discovered that I forgot about the long "Panic in Detroit" from Nassau '76 with the drum solo, available digitally from 2010 to about 2016. It really should have been on "Re: Call2", no?

2) I decided to create a fake "Re: Call" with one track on it: the stereo "All the Young Dudes" from "Nothing Has Changed". So sue me.

3) I discovered that, despite my fevered imagination, Parlophone never put out "Nassau Coliseum" in 96/24 on WCIBN. I used a lovely 96/24 vinyl rip, et voila! Four live Parlophone 70s albums (although the vinyl used on Nassau was technically EMI's) on one Blu-Ray disc.

Cheats:

I found that I had to use some EMI material to get what I wanted, aesthetically; and while I wanted to relegate all 44.1/16 stuff to the "Re:Calls"s, I thought it prudent to include a CD-rip of "The Gouster", because apart from the 192-24 download from 7digital, that CD rip is still my only version with the right version of "Young Americans". (Don't lecture me on piracy. I bought that darn digital box 3 times).

wavethatflag likes this.
  7. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

So far Changes One Bowie and Aladdin Sane

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  8. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

Lodger - Tony Visconti 2017 Remix

Slick Willie and wavethatflag like this.
  9. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

I gave Aladdin Sane a spin yesterday.

10. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

JUST dropped the needle on the Pinups vinyl reissue. Man, I am pretty new to Bowie...what a FANTASTIC sounding record!

11. mdent

mdent Forum Resident

This week... David Bowie - Life On Mars.

Scope J and wavethatflag like this.
  12. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

no. they are compilations of non-album singles and b-sides. incomplete and often inauthentic but that's the idea at least.

TonyCzar likes this.
  13. fer2

fer2 Forum Resident

Earthling on LP.
    Great side A.

wavethatflag likes this.
  14. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

Looking for satellites is a great track.

Kemosabi1, oldturkey, Scope J and 3 others like this.
  15. DeanoBee

DeanoBee Lifelong Music Junkie

Scary Monsters

Slick Willie, Mother and wavethatflag like this.
  16. scocs

scocs Forum Resident

Santa Monica ‘72 UK promo pressing. Turn it up!

Scope J, Mother and wavethatflag like this.
  17. TheMovieRad

TheMovieRad If you want to count me, count me out

Let’s Dance, Labrynth, and Never Let Me Down

wavethatflag and Mother like this.
  18. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Well, in any case, I settled on my "Re:Call 4" [sic] lineup last night, each one contemporaneous with one of the boxes.

"All the Young Dudes" ('Nothing Has Changed')
    "Panic in Detroit (full drum solo)" (Amazon MP3)
    ""Heroes"" (Energy-loss 09/2017 Parlophone release, complete with set of sneer quotes)

On the compliance upside, they've all been officially released in the past.

Also nabbed a 192/24 rip of a "White Vinyl" Ziggy while messing around. And that's about the extent of the description.

(ObListeningTestimony: After downloading, it frankly sounded like there was a dust bunny on the stylus.)

The pedigree (pictures) included with the vinyl-rip download didn't really show the actual matrix numbers, and the vinyl in the pics didn't look snow white. At least, nothing like any of the "white vinyl" Ziggys I was able to stalk online. Pics were included of a nice aged outside cover and great RCA labels from an early UK pressing, but I couldn't really place this combo all in one package anywhere in the firmament due to the "white vinyl" claim. The rip is probably from a real white vinyl - said to be an unofficial release with non-English language on cover and label. (Certainly sounds like an unofficial knockoff).

The pics were probably just thrown in from another source. Another clue that this was a bit of a Frankenstein job: usually vinyl rips include a text file telling the full life story from turntable to torrent, but this one did not.

Also, too: My "Labyrinth" wall calendar arrived from Amazon yesterday. June is glamorous!

ObListening2: I actually couldn't get through all of "PID". Drum solos, eh?

wavethatflag and oldturkey like this.
  19. scantregard

scantregard Forum Resident

I'm still stuck on Reality. I think "Never Get Old" is one of his best ever songs.

wavethatflag and DeanoBee like this.
  20. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

:D
    I've been listening to five hours of glam rock hits including JIOD, Jean Genie, Life On Mars, Sorrow and Drive-In Saturday. Found it somewhere on www. Much Gary Glitter, Suzi, Slade and T.Rex, Mott and Sweet.

wavethatflag likes this.
  21. tin ears

tin ears Forum Resident

Lodger - Orange label UK RCA A2/B2 with the laminated gatefold sleeve.

[​IMG]

Paid £15 for it last week after recovering from the shock of seeing RCA Bowie in the used bins. When I realised it was laminated and an early pressing I had to have it. Cleaned it up and it's in VG condition. Plays great other than the needle drop pops from the previous owner between some tracks, and a bit of light crackle at the start of each side. Sterling cut, it's probably the best I've heard this album sound.

I know the Parlophone reissue is just around the corner for roughly the same price, but at least with the original I won't have to put up with tape drop-outs and missing drum beats.

22. Leepal

Leepal Forum Resident

The Next Day
    Blackstar

Listened to the CD versions on headphones, first proper listen in a long time. They had been a bit under appreciated by me previously.

Slick Willie and wavethatflag like this.
  23. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

24. Markyp

Markyp Forum Resident

Vancouver Rehearsals
    Buddha of Suburbia
    Ziggy
    The Man Who Sold The World
    Tin Machine 2
    ...so far this week.
    Playing All Saints at present

wavethatflag likes this.
  25. kinkling

kinkling Forum Resident

Young Americans and Lodger, comparing vinyl to CD and back again

Slick Willie, wavethatflag and Mother like this.