What can you tell me about Old 97s.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jackson, Sep 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

That may explain how "Timebomb" ended up in Clay Pigeons!

Also, this thread inspired me to pull out The Grand Theatre I and II this week, and I agree that they are extremely enjoyable, probably my fave stuff since Too Far to Care. Btw, I discovered Omnivore just reissued TFTC on CD and LP with bonus tracks and a bunch of demos, the latter also available as a separate LP.

2. mattydork

mattydork Forum Resident

I love Old 97's! Everything. Although I may be a little biased. I was in marching band in high school with Philip Peeples the drummer and had the joy of playing drums next to him for 4 years. Do yourself a favor and check them out live. I have yet to see them put on a bad show. Here's a few photos I took from their last show in Boulder, CO. This was on the Too Far To Care Anniversary tour in 2012.

64231_10200532776711556_436715119_n.jpg 483137_10200532776111541_874283865_n.jpg

533775_10200532772671455_702922134_n.jpg 734073_10200532772711456_575209952_n.jpg

mrjinks and moople72 like this.
  3. lastdamdown

lastdamdown Forum Resident

Must-see live act!

My wife and I saw them live in a small club in Atlanta during a honeymoon trip back in the summer of '99. We got Fight Songs and played it to death in our rented green Oldsmobile Bravada while driving throughout the South. She has been smitten with Rhett ever since.

I won't hold that against him. Wonderful lyricist, great hooks and energy and a fantastically ragged, but extremely fun live act. All of their albums are worthwhile, but I am most fond of their powerpop albums, particularly Fight Songs and Satellite Rides.

Prefer the band albums to Rhett solo, but his records aren't bad. First major label one was a little overproduced, but I'm a big Jon Brion fan, so that's fine. By the way, he covered Brion's "I Believe She's Lying" on that album.

Another fan of the band: esteemed music critic Robert Christgau.

velvetmornin likes this.
  4. Frame313

Frame313 Active Member

While I haven't been keeping up with their more recent albums (I kind of drifted away after Satellite Rides) I will say that they are one really terrific live band, and some really nice guys, to boot. They did several signings and appearances at my old store in Dallas, and were always a pleasure to hang out with.

5. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

I'd say they're the best band that people I know personally know nothing about. That is, until I tell those people about the band. Unfortunately, those people probably still haven't heard their music and by now they've forgotten the name Old 97s.:cry:

6. woody

woody Forum Resident

7. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

8. Jefhart

Jefhart Senior Member

Just saw Rhett last night doing the solo thing at a local bar/restaurant/club, the Falcon in Marlboro, NY (he lives in the area and brought his family to the show with him). Great show, lots of energy, played a nice variety of stuff both solo and Old '97s. Talked to him briefly before the show, really nice guy, said a new Old 97s album would probably be out in the Spring.

Jeff

9. TerryB

TerryB Forum Resident

I caught them maybe five years ago when they were getting back into things after Rhett's solo diversion. The vibe wasn't good, they didn't seem to want to be there, and there were obvious tensions in the band, who cut their set by about 1/3, based on the stage setlist. Best thing about ending their show early was I got to pop into the small room of the club and catch Dr. Dog, who I had previously dismissed based on their stupid name, and Delta Spirit, who I've grown to love.

Still dig the '97s, I think I just caught them on a bad night.

10. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Anyone have any of their vinyl output? I see Drag It Up was produced by Mark Neil and recorded to 8-track and I think the lp may be an all analog mastering. Any comments?

11. TerryB

TerryB Forum Resident

I have the Wreck Your Life and Then Some LP from Bloodshot, it's a terrific release with great sound.

12. Claxton

Claxton I like chicks and cars and partyin’ hard

I didn't even know Drag It Up was on vinyl until I saw it at my local store a couple of months ago. The completist in me wants it, but I didn't want to spend $30 for what I feel is their weakest (and muddiest sounding) album. I'd say the chances of it being all analog are pretty good. Both volumes of The Grand Theater appear to be on vinyl too (through their online store)....I definitely need to get those.

I have the Too Far to Care anniversary release and it sounds awesome (especially for colored vinyl). The demo vinyl is decent too. If you can get Blame It On Gravity on vinyl, do it! Mastered by Kevin Gray and sounds really, really nice. I'll also second TerryB and say the Wreck Your Life deluxe is good too.

13. velvetmornin

velvetmornin Well-Known Member

one of my faves...Too Far to Care is easily their best, then Fight Songs, then Most Messed Up (which was released today).

14. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

For anyone interested, the Old 97's are doing something cool with the vinyl release of their new album, Most Messed Up. They made 500 limited edition "Bootleg" copies of the album, in a plain white 'messed up' package and on orange vinyl, available at indie stores only. If you buy one, and post a picture of yourself with it on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter, along with the tags #mostmessedup and #shopindie, you will be entered into a chance to win an autographed copy of the regular version of the album. More details below. Btw, I got #34 of 500, and yes, the album does come with a download card where you can get the album in either wav or mp3 format as a bonus.

http://atorecords.com/old97s/mostmessedup/

Oh, and right now, you can also still pick up a yellow vinyl copy of They Made A Monster:The a Too Far To Care Demos from Omnivore Recordings really cheap as part of their Spring Fling sale. More details on that and other albums they have for sale at this link.

http://omnivorerecordings.com/spring-fling-sale/

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
  15. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Thanks for the feedback. I saw a copy of Drag It Up on Discogs for $16 and also Soundstage Direct has it for $24.99 sans 11% discount and not tax, so that isn't bad either. I thought it sounded pretty good online...hmm. I was wondering if Kevin Gray or Ray Janos cut these lps, similar to Drive by Truckers New West output. Also, are they RTI pressings. I think Blame It On Gravity is still in print as well. I figured these might be good starting points for their vinyl output.

16. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

How does the new lp sound? I sampled it online and enjoyed the material? Any details would be appreciated!

Omnivore is the first time I really noticed their name. I just put in an order over there before I sampled this band. Maybe I can still revise it before it ships!

17. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

The early pre major label stuff was when they were drinking so it has a lot of ragged charm. They had some jokier numbers in those days that were often country music satires.
    Then they moved on to really aggressive rock with a little bit of pop mixed in.
    You can't go wrong with most of their material.
    I strongly recommend Miller's first solo lp if you like things a little more lightweight a pop-y. But avoid all his solo stuff after that, they weernt downhill fast.

18. Claxton

I know "Gravity" was pressed at RTI...it has a small label on the back cover stating it's 180g from RTI. I want to say I saw the same thing on the copy of "Drag It Up", but not sure.

mikemoon likes this.
  19. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

The new albums is, and sounds great. Full of raucous, beer drinking, hell raising swagger. As others have noted, a whole lot of cussing, too, but it's all a good time. No ballads, either.

mikemoon likes this.
  20. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

I disagree about Rhett's solo albums, somewhat. The first TWO are great, but after 2006's The Believer, then yes I do agree they went downhill from there. But, I think it was because instead of saving all his best ideas for his solo stuff - as he did with the first two - he started using that material for the the Old 97's, again. My proof for this is that the two records he did with the band in 2004, Drag It Up , and 2008, Blame It On Gravity, were both kind of meh. These were the albums which immediately followed each of his first two solo albums. Then you get the s/t solo album in 2009, which I, surprisingly, found extremely dull - yet that was followed up by two great Old 97's albums in The Grand Theater, Vol One (2010), and The Grand Theater, Vol Two (2011). Rhett's 2012 solo album The Dreamer, again very dull, but this new Old 97's album - fantastic.

21. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Any details on who cut the vinyl?

22. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

Because I got the "Bootleg" version, there is barely an ounce of information on the packaging, and intentionally so. It was a nice quiet pressing, though. I could check the dead wax later and see what I could dig up there, but won't get the chance to do that until sometime tonight.

mikemoon likes this.
  23. Claxton

Since they're on ATO Records now, probably a safe bet it was pressed at United. Just about anything else I have from ATO artists were pressed there.

24. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

All I know about Old 97 is that it went in the wrong hole, and in mine number 60, there's blood on the coal. ;-)

(Please tell me SOMEONE gets that reference!)

25. RedRaider99

RedRaider99 Forum Resident

Wreck Your Life was the album that got me into the '97s. I still like those songs the best. Saw them open for REM in 2008 and enjoyed the set. I agree why one poster above got sick of the fast drumming... they seem to do a lot of that sound and its ok, but for me they are not necessarily at their best when going for speed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.