What cartridge is on your VPI Scout?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ghost rider, Mar 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ghost rider

ghost rider Forum Resident Thread Starter

I currently have an AT-OC9ML/II on mine. It sounds great and tracks well. My only issue is it’s a tad bright but I can deal with that and I get some tonearm resonation also not a big deal but I’m interested in learning about possible better matches.

My plan is to buy a second wand and switch between the two. My budget maybe $1200 should be a big improvement over the AT-OC9ML/II. Or the laws of diminishing returns may apply.

2. KOWHeigel

KOWHeigel Forum Resident

I had a 10x5 and oc9 mlii and preferred the oc9 in all respects. In fact I use the oc9 on my classic and still love it.

I would think it could be bettered with your budget but not by leaps and bounds.

The 20X2 is a natural choice.

3. tman53

tman53 Vinyl is an Addiction

20X2

4. Baby Driver

Baby Driver Forum Resident

5. numanoid

numanoid Forum Resident

Ortofon Cadenza Bronze. Doesn't pair well as far as I'm concerned

6. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

The Ortofon Quintet Black (and even the lesser Quintet range) seem to be a great match for the VPI arm.

GoldprintAudio likes this.
  7. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

Quintet Black.....great cart for your table.

vpiindustries likes this.
  8. jcmusic

jcmusic Forum Resident

On my Scoutmaster I use the Dyna 20x sv....

9. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

2mBlack on one wand MP500 on the other

10. Tremaindous

Tremaindous Forum Resident

Dynavector 20x2h here. The backup wand has a Dynavector 10x5 retipped by Soundsmith, Level 2.

11. brooklyn

brooklyn I'm all ears

I'm using the Ortofon 2M Black coupled with the Graham Slee Era
    Gold V phono preamp for a while now and love the combination.

12. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark

AT-OC9ML/ll, love it.

13. Hershiser

Hershiser Forum Resident

Dynavector DV-20XH

14. Ken Clark

Ken Clark Forum Resident

Dynavectors and VPI seem to always go very well together. Zu Denon DL103 is another terrific match if you have enough gain for low output MC, or a step up transformer.

15. attym

attym Forum Resident

Dynavector 20x2H (With level 2 SoundSmith Ruby retip)

16. gloomrider

gloomrider Well-Known Member

Just curious, what's the effective mass of the tonearm?

Also, it seems that the Mark II and Mark III carts are different animals:

I have a Pro-Ject 9cc Evo arm on my Perspex. The carbon fiber construction tends to (as Michael Fremer puts it) "ring like crazy". So it's not just the best compliance match for the arm that's important. If you have issues with tonearm ringing, look for carts that have some damping that will help mitigate it. Tonearm ringing can cause mistracking and possibly even record damage.

17. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member

Well I don't have a scout, but of the same breed. Dynavector XX-2 which sounds amazing on a Classic. Replaced a Soundsmith Zephyr with it.

18. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Dynavector 20X2L with Soundsmith level 2 retip, or Soundsmith Otello as backup.

John K.

19. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

A few mentioned the Ortofon 2M black......has anyone tried the 2M Bronze and is this a valid alternative for those who perhaps cannot shell out the coin for a Black??

20. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

I would think the Bronze would be fine, slightly less detail, but less noise and other clutter as well!

21. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I have a Classic, and started out with an OC9/ii and thought it was amazing. It's a testament that the dealer who kind of begrudgingly installed it for me thought it was really good as well. I ended up "upgrading" to a Clearaudio Maestro and while it's a great cart I think I'm just an MC kid and miss a lot of the aspects of the OC9/ii. I'd sort of like to try the /iii someday.

KOWHeigel likes this.
  22. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Just a quick side question since I'm planning on buying a new tt later this year and the Scout or Traveler are among my possible choices. There's a guy who posts a lot of needledrops to Youtube with his Scout/10x5 combo and I noticed some recent ones reveal a lot of motor hum not unlike the problem I've had with my Pro-Ject tables. Are any of you Scout users getting motor hum or is that an isolated instance?

23. Hershiser

Hershiser Forum Resident

No hum with mine. Truthfully if it wasn't for the clamp I wouldn't even know if it was spinning or not without a record on it.

There are so many possible reasons why there may or not be some motor hum.

24. KOWHeigel

KOWHeigel Forum Resident

I never noticed motor hum with my Scout when I had it. One of the advantages of the Scout is that the motor is separated from the rest of the table. I would guess that if the table and motor were on an extremely resonant shelf/table/etc.. that some noise could be present but this is an separate issue which quite frankly could be solved with a little felt pad under the motor (or the like).

25. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I was about to say, if I took the trouble to own a turntable with a decoupled motor, motor hum sure would be awfully annoying. I think some people have surmised hum problems with VPI are just related to unshielded cartridges and the metal platter itself, but it seems more likely it would be the motor IMO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.