What CCR song you can not stand most?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Airbus, May 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Airbus

Airbus Forum Resident Thread Starter

I think "Effigy" is a total failure.

2. jimmydean

jimmydean Senior Member

one of my faves

i can live without "midnight special"

3. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

I think "Effigy" is a great CCR tune, the only tunes of theirs i can't stand are the covers of "I Put A Spell On You" and "The Night Time Is The Right Time" pure overkill.

4. Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider Senior Member

I, too, think Effigy is a good song - always liked the guitar sound on that one.

The CCR songs I dislike the most are on Mardi Gras (Take It Like A Friend, perhaps?). I also skip most of Rude Awakening, No. 2.:)

5. DOTC. Overplayed, for me

6. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Pagan Baby

7. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

"Tearin' up the Country"

10 seconds into this track, I hated it and quickly came to realize Mardi Gras was a horrible misfire of an album. CCR were definitely not the Beatles.

Swampy mush mouth Bob Dylan impersonation, complete with bum notes when trying to sing out of a limited range. You could argue that was done for effect, but eh, it is just terrible. Oh well, at least the instrumentation was tight.

8. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

I always thought Tearing Up The Country sounded more like Jerry Reed. And I do kinda' like it.

My vote for least favorite is Rude Awakening No. 2. That song could have been the straw that broke Tom Fogerty's back.

9. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

I like Rude Awakening no.2, a lot.

10. SirNoseDVoid

SirNoseDVoid Forum Resident

Midnight Special, but I dislike that tune no matter who does it. I love Effigy, though.

timind, Lands End Drums and Fullbug like this.
  11. Rudi

Rudi Forum Resident

Every Cook and Clifford song on Mardi Gras.

Spazaru, Jimmy B., The Beave and 14 others like this.
  12. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

I've never heard a single CCR tune I outright dislike. Mardi Gras may be their weakest album overall, but I still like it. Things were beginning to get a bit formulaic with John Fogerty singing every song (despite the welcome (to me) experimentation of Pendulum). Mardi Gras may have been a last gasp of a band on the verge of a breakup but it was a rootsy record and a bold step into a more democratic direction which may have improved had they pursued it with another album or 2. There are some nice rockabilly-flavored songs on it.
    I love "Effigy" and their versions of the folk standards "The Midnight Special" and "Cotton Fields" as well as deep cuts like "Gloomy", "Walk on the Water", "Graveyard Train", "Ramble Tamble", "Rude Awakening #2", and of course all of the hits are great. Although John Fogerty, multi-talented as he is, can be a bit of an arrogant egotist, I have nothing bad to say about any CCR song.

13. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

14. ricks

ricks Senior Member

I can not stand most threads that purposely seek hatred

15. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Long Cool Woman In. A Black Dress is the worst.

16. douglas mcclenaghan

douglas mcclenaghan Forum Resident

Yep. Why hate on such a great band. Every artist is inconsistent and we all have different tastes. If the thread was titled: Were there any songs where CCR's incredibly high standards may have slipped somewhat and can you offer something thoughtful, constructive and nuanced to discuss this in the context of the band's oeuvre ? then it would be worth contributing.

17. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

Well, let us give a listen:

"Effigy" - Creedence Clearwater Revival.

18. ruben lopez

ruben lopez Nunc Est Bibendum

19. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

Love it!

20. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Funny, but until you mentioned (The Hollies), "Long Cool Woman", I never realized just how similar it is to "Green River"! No wonder why I have always loved that song so much!

21. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Can't argue with that.

Fogerty basically made no missteps from 1968 to 1972 (except maybe the second half of the song "Rude Awakening #2").

22. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I've said it before, but other than The Beatles, I have always felt that CCR delivered the most interesting run of quickly released albums ever! "Effigy" is just one of their many great deep tracks!

23. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Proud Mary. First heard it as a teen and would always skip it, no knowing it was a hit. No idea how anybody can like that droning monotone boring song.

24. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

It's a discussion board. Not every topic will be of positive nature. What a silly notion.

Here's an idea ; if you dislike the concept of a thread, don't click on it. Simple.

25. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

I like Effigy. Hard to come up with CCR songs I dislike. But I agree it would probably be one of the Mardi Gras tracks not written by Fogerty.

Jimmy B. and Fullbug like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.